• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck sizing options in 6.5cm

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
Getting into long range precision reloading.
Not a tremendous amount of experience with the precision stuff

My first batch of 6.5 have a small bell at the bottom of the 20 deg shoulder, that appeared during seating

I resized and decapped using standard hornady dies. Trimmed, deburred, and chamfered cases before tumbling.

Load using loading using 41.5 gr of h4350.

I can see the bullet jacket has some copper "threads" at where the neck and bullet meet. Should I be adding a neck sizing in my process? Any advice??

Back the seater die off a little. You have it set to crimp and it is collapsing the case at the shoulder.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
As others have mentioned start by tweaking your die a little.

I have used the Lee collet die and Redding body die combo - works good but it is two steps.

The other option is to use your full length die with the expander ball removed then use a mandrel to set neck tension. This is also two steps but it works great as it opens the neck up to a perfect uniform size (I do this for 6BR).

Mandrels have (at least) two advantages over the regular expander ball:

1) The mandrel sizes on the downstroke as opposed to the upstroke for the expander ball (case has more strength / is less likely to become deformed).

2) Any blemishes irregularities get pushed to the outside of the neck leaving the insides uniform.

Appears your die needs some tweaking,

If you want a neck only die I’d recommend the Lee Collet. Redding body die for a .002” bump when needed
This is what I do with my 260
Be aware that neck sizing will only save you time.
No additional precision really comes of it.
In fact it tends to cause more problems if you’re not on top of it and have your program sorted.

Back the seater die off a little. You have it set to crimp and it is collapsing the case at the shoulder.
I thought the same and I'm fairly sure it's not. Just seating. I will confirm

This is what I do with my 260
Be aware that neck sizing will only save you time.
No additional precision really comes of it.
In fact it tends to cause more problems if you’re not on top of it and have your program sorted.
Agreed

I use this combo for my 6.5, 260, 308 and 300 WM