• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Sizing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

when neck sizing how much of the neck do you resize? I've noticed some resize the full length of the neck, others half etc.

I'm interested in what some of you do and why?

Cheers
Rath

Re: Neck Sizing

I've gone half way, two thirds down the neck and now pretty much go as far as my die will allow. Half way obviously imparts a bit less tension, but since I use bushings and have more than a few, I can get there going this route. I don't get that secondary shoulder on my necks which is more an aesthetic issue for me.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I've been sizing to half way as I only have a .334 bushing and my loaded rounds come in at .338 at the neck. I figured .004 was more tension than I wanted and I'm waiting on .335, .336 & .337 bushings from Sinclair so I can experiment with various tension and size the entire neck.

Cheers
Rath

For my bolt guns, I usually size about a third to half of the neck. For gas guns I will size half or more. That way, more of the neck is holding the bullet without over working the brass.
myerfire

myerfire,
I have seen it stated a number of times that gas guns should always be full length resized. Sounds like you are having success with less than FL resizing. Is it truely a neck size or are you setting the shoulder back some as well? Just rying to learn.

Pirate69

Pirate, I should have clarified, it is always recomended to use a small base die for gas guns, but I have hade excellent luck with useing a body die to bump the shoulder back and then a neck die to resize the neck. It is a little more work, but I feel it gives me a more accurate round.
myerfired