• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck tension and hornady custom grade dies

bdubmkg

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2023
Texas
I've been using these dies for a while and never really thought much of it till lately. This is the custom grade full length sizing die for 6.5cm. The neck tension is really tight. Is there a way to adjust the neck tension or is it just better off to get a new die.

The only way to lighten the grip on the bullet with that die is to anneal the neck and lube it with graphite. Otherwise get a bushing die.

Reactions: bdubmkg
I've been using these dies for a while and never really thought much of it till lately. This is the custom grade full length sizing die for 6.5cm. The neck tension is really tight. Is there a way to adjust the neck tension or is it just better off to get a new die.
Get a 21st century expander mandrel die.

Reactions: Marine52
What brass do you use?
And how many rounds those have been shot.
More you shoot, more they get harden, and tougher to get the pill in.
On the shot cases, is the bullet going thru the neck, if you drop in in to a case, or is it stop and they on the neck, not falling thru?
If not, the case neck is too thick, you need to turn the neck.

I use Reddit type-s fs dies with custom neck rings from sac.
Next week i should receive RCBS Matchmaster dies.
Dont think it will be a big difference on the Redding, but really nice to see it.