• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck tension and moly bullets

marchboom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
No. Idaho
Some handloading writers have said that when using moly coated bullets neck tension should be increased to prevent the bullet from moving when the primer goes off. The writers have said that just the power from the primer would be enough to get the bullet moving (before the powder does) due to the low coefficient of friction from the moly coating.

Has anyone found this to be true? For those handloaders using moly bullets, have you noticed that you need more neck tension for accuracy? How much neck tension are you using? FYI...I'm shooting .223 Rem and .22-250 Rem.

Thanks

If you’re going trough the trouble of moly then I assume you’re also going to go to the trouble of testing various bushings to see what works best.

If you aren’t then why go to the trouble of moly in the first place?

Reactions: marchboom
You don’t anymore neck tension.

I use graphite in the necks for smoother bullet seating and did not notice any difference in accuracy due to neck tension. I increased it by .001” and noticed the increase in seating pressure but not in velocity or accuracy.

A lot of the moly is scraped off by the case mouth during bullet seating. The effects of moly are seen in the barrel, not the case neck.