• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck turner's. ..

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Just wondering when the neck turners do their thing.
I'm doing it on new unfired brass. After running a mandrel down the new brass I turn.
One and done. I don't turn them again in their lifetime.
How about you guys?

That's all I've ever done. To be fair, in the past my fired brass didn't usually outlast the barrel - I had enough brass to get me through a major tournament, which worked out to about 5 firings of some pretty spicy loads. If I was running a different set up - milder loads, so the brass lasted longer, and/or a smaller amount of brass so the brass got many more firings per barrel, I might re-evaluate that.

The biggest barrier for me to neck turning later down the road has been that I typically use bushing dies... which traditionally left a little bit at the base of the neck un-sized. Not a good combination for neck turning. I'd have to size them with a separate non-bushing die specifically for that purpose... which combined with the above, has been enough to put me off of the whole notion.

Reactions: TommyD11730
One and done. No need to neck trim more than once.

I do mine once-fired as my mandrel doesn't fit well after sizing. Then I'll Full Length resize and after that just neck size through about 3 firings. Then FL resize and start again

Take off the minimum amount to clean up.

I have an old PAS (Precision Arms our Specialty) out of Brookfield, CT. 1970's or '80's tool for .308. I would LOVE to find one for .300 WM. The .30 works, but the PAS tool rides right down to the shoulder which a lot of turners don't do. I can use the .308 on the .300 WM or any other .30. But getting a WM tool or even a cutter is a 'wish list' item for me.

One will turn up someday Love the old loading tools! Some were genius!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: TommyD11730
The only neck turning I've done is for a rifle with a tight neck chamber. Therefore I turn new brass so I can fire form the brass.