• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck turning finally done

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Well, it was inevitable.
finally had to do it so churned out 305 pieces of 260 Remington.

Attachments

• photo53993.png
    photo53993.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 6
I have to. 10+ firings on this 260 brass, 3 different chambers.

And now this third third one is a tight neck chamber and my loaded round diameter was my fired round diameter.

Plus i I was getting bad donuts.

Now that I "have to" might as well make them perfect

Looks like you cut into the shoulder pretty deep. You might want to back off the shoulder a hundredth or so even though your cutter has the correct shoulder bevel. I'm looking at the ridge left halfway up the shoulder for reference.

Don't know how someone can dislike thegerman's post .

it looks deep but it's the angle of the cutter from 21st century.

If i back it off slightly doesn't cut enough.

What tool did you use to turn the necks? I have the 21st Century lathe moving into the crosshairs of my credit card.

I tried with a Sinclair turner but I was having difficulties, my drill doesn't spin perfectly. I got a 21st century one because it keeps it straight even with an imperfect drill. I am happy with the results.

Did you cut the inside as well or just the outside? I did the inside and i think it came out wrong since it marked up the inside neck pretty bad. it caused an extreme jump in pressures on some rounds.

Just outside neck turn.

For us Mag feeding type shooters, it's important you get the oversized mandrel to ensure everything is pushed out.

my Recommendation:

-deprime and clean cases
-anneal
-full length size with a non bushing die and use an expander ball
-get an oversized mandrel for your cutter
then neck turn. You will have to size your cases again but his time can just do the neck.

I know a neck turning set up isn't something everyone wants to buy because it's pretty much a one time use tool and done.

its also VERY tedious.. Takes about 1-1:30 minutes per case when you have a good rhythm. I'm willing to work with hiders neck turning cases. Gonna have to send me a PM for that.

Just outside neck turn.

For us Mag feeding type shooters, it's important you get the oversized mandrel to ensure everything is pushed out.

my Recommendation:

-deprime and clean cases
-anneal
-full length size with a non bushing die and use an expander ball
-get an oversized mandrel for your cutter
then neck turn. You will have to size your cases again but his time can just do the neck.

I know a neck turning set up isn't something everyone wants to buy because it's pretty much a one time use tool and done.

its also VERY tedious.. Takes about 1-1:30 minutes per case when you have a good rhythm. I'm willing to work with hiders neck turning cases. Gonna have to send me a PM for that.

I already bought the K&M carbide version but i got it in the 6.5mm which is the caliber that i am shooting. it deffinitly widens the case out at the neck with an expander die setup and i have to resize afterwards. i went ahead and ordered a non-cutting steel pilot so that way i can just do the outside as i think the inside gets too mangled and then doesnt have an even release. i know i had at least one round in each test that i ran this weekend and only 1 round was way off compared to the others in velocity and POI.

Talk to K&M they sell custom ground mandrels. You can ask them for their advice; you do NOT have to get oversized
mandrels it's just a suggestion. Just like using a bushing die bs a neck/body die

You can measure out the diameter of your current ones also. You just want to be a thousandth oversized from bullet caliber

These are just over caliber. i cant put it on the pilot unless i use their expander.