• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck turning question

Froggy1129

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2005
Athens, GA
I am forming 6.5 Creedmoor from Hornady 308 match brass. Yes, I realize I don't have to do this. I have a large supply of the brass from work. It's free and I enjoy making it.

With this brass it is fairly easy to make. I just size it in a Hornady die (expander removed), trim it, expand and neck turn it since they are right at .295 after sizing. My fired brass measures .295 (AI AE Mk II, barrel by Accuracy Ordnance).

I have done 200 cases that are shooting very accurately. I neck turned them (K&M) so that they are producing loaded cases with neck diameter of .293 (Hornady 6.5 brass comes out .291). The turning cuts brass on 70-100 % of the case neck surface (only a few have cut on the entire surface).

So, my question is, should I neck turn just a hair more so that each neck is trimmed 100% or just stay where I am at?

Re: Neck turning question

I would turn the necks to .0135 ish, that should leave you .004 for expansion.

Froggy,

Turn enough to have at least 20 @ 70% and 20 @ 100%. Load with your favorite load and see which produces the best group.

HTH,
DocB

I don't think it matters how much is cut, just as long as the neck thickness is consistent and therefore has the same amount of neck tension around the entire neck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I recommended .0135ish because he has a .295 chamber

Bullet .264
2 X .0135
Equals .291

I would assume this will be a 100% cut since resized brass measures .295