• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Turning w/ Redding Dies

Joezone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2003
WA
I'm just getting into reloading and have Redding bushing dies on hand. Logically I can see where neck turning would help with consistency, however I'm wondering how much difference it typically makes with this set up and decent brass. I like small groups just fine but am not a bench rester. Any thoughts on this?

Re: Neck Turning w/ Redding Dies

Go slowly in any neck turning endeavor as it's possible and probable that you will irreversibly do lots more harm than good to your brass especially if it's good quality brass to begin with.
Adding more clearance to what may already be a generous (oversized) factory chambered barrel won't help anything to stay concentric so unless you have the proper tools and know how to use them to check for neck clearance to your chamber then I would not worry about that aspect of reloading yet.
Even most custom match chambered barrels with good Lapua brass will hold well under an inch at 300 meters with absolutely no brass work so be practical about what's going on.

In order to properly turn the neck turn you need a non bushing FL die so the entire neck is sized, not all of the neck is sized with bushing dies.

Thanks for the info. Heck if I can avoid neck turning well that saves money and time. I'll try it without to start and work on all the rest of it first, then I can play around with that if needed later.