• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck turning

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I'm new at reloading and I wanted to ask about neck turning. I'm shooting 6.5 creedmoor and I have heard that the necks sometimes will have more material on one side causing the bullet to have wider groups. Is this true? Is neck turning worth doing for tighter groups?

Thanks Kevin

Re: Neck turning

Taking your questions in reverse order:

<span style="font-style: italic">1. "Is neck turning worth doing for tighter groups?"</span>

Yes, IF you have great loading skills, and an excellant rifle with a tight chamber (non-SAAMI/Factory). You aren't there yet.

<span style="font-style: italic">2. "I have heard that the necks sometimes will have more material on one side causing the bullet to have wider groups. Is this true?"</span>

Not guite true; it isn't "sometimes", it's normal. But how much runout will have what effect is dependant on the three points in answer one.

<span style="font-style: italic">3. "I'm new at reloading and I wanted to ask about neck turning."</span>

You have a lot to learn and a lot of skills to develop before it makes much difference, if any at all, so that's a complexity best left alone for now. There's a lot more to precision loading than simply turning necks. Come back and ask about neck turning again when you get your reloaded groups into a constant 1 Minute of Angle.

Load, shoot, learn the basics, have fun and give yourself time to get grounded in the fundamentals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking your questions in reverse order:

<span style="font-style: italic">1. "Is neck turning worth doing for tighter groups?"</span>

Yes, IF you have great loading skills, and an excellant rifle with a tight chamber (non-SAAMI/Factory). You aren't there yet.

<span style="font-style: italic">2. "I have heard that the necks sometimes will have more material on one side causing the bullet to have wider groups. Is this true?"</span>

Not guite true; it isn't "sometimes", it's normal. But how much runout will have what effect is dependant on the three points in answer one.

<span style="font-style: italic">3. "I'm new at reloading and I wanted to ask about neck turning."</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">You have a lot to learn and a lot of skills to develop before it makes much difference, if any at all, so that's a complexity best left alone for now. There's a lot more to precision loading than simply turning necks. Come back and ask about neck turning again when you get your reloaded groups into a constant 1 Minute of Angle.

Load, shoot, learn the basics, have fun and give yourself time to get grounded in the fundamentals. </div></div></span>

This!!!
There are far more things that need to be controlled first before you start doing neck turning.

Agree with the above comments. This is one of those issues where there is no point in getting into it until you are ready to use the information. Simply knowing about uneven necks and neck turning, is not the same as knowing the dimensions of your chamber and what bushing dies are for, and how to use them. It's not a real deep subject, but there are levels of awareness before a man can appreciate the answer to his question: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is this true? Is neck turning worth doing for tighter groups?</div></div>

Thanks for all the info. I'm working on how to shoot the rifle I'm at 1.192" and smaller at 200yds. I'm wanting to get out to 1000yds if possible with tight groups. I have learned a lot here on the hide but still have more than a lot to learn. I'm trying to go to fast to get there doing to many things at one time and not sure what is doing what. Thanks again for yalls advice I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Kevin

Is this a bolt gun with a tight neck chamber? Then yes you will have to turn the necks and accuracy in general is improved.

Is this a bolt gun with a normal (SAMMI) chamber? Then it may or may not help. On my guns with normal chambers it did not.

Is this a semi-auto? Then turning necks is not recommended.

I'm glad there is conversation on this subject.

Sorry for the bump .

Can a neck after been sized by (forster FL die & forster press ) have a neck RUN out of .002 and a bullet RUN out of .006 ?

I'm experiencing this with lapua 6.5/55 on It's second reload.
But if I use a new one and seat the bullet I get .002". I do feel the difference in neck tension from new to 2nd reload.

Can this be attributed to neck thickness , I'm getting .014" to .016 variations .
Little help please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgoodrich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this a bolt gun with a tight neck chamber? Then yes you will have to turn the necks and accuracy in general is improved.

Is this a bolt gun with a normal (SAMMI) chamber? Then it may or may not help. On my guns with normal chambers it did not.

Is this a semi-auto? Then turning necks is not recommended. </div></div>

This is a bolt rifle savage 12lrp 6.5 creedmoor do I turn or not ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recarga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad there is conversation on this subject.

Sorry for the bump .

Can a neck after been sized by (forster FL die & forster press ) have a neck RUN out of .002 and a bullet RUN out of .006 ?

I'm experiencing this with lapua 6.5/55 on It's second reload.
But if I use a new one and seat the bullet I get .002". I do feel the difference in neck tension from new to 2nd reload.

Can this be attributed to neck thickness , I'm getting .014" to .016 variations .
Little help please. </div></div>

Yes please jump in with questions and answers we can all learn. Thanks Kevin

Would not turn, IMHO.
My 6.5CM is a custom build by APA. I has a SAMMI chamber (as far as neck diameter) and I have never turned a neck. The rifle has always provided all the accuracy I can use.
BTW, I hear nothing but good reports on the rifle you have. Enjoy!

Kevin ,
As my grandfather used to say to me when I bug my parents with many questions.
(If you ask smart questions you will always get smarter )

Read this and after that decided if you want to turn your brass ,
I'm not an expert but I was told not to turn my brass unless there is significant variations on wall thickness , or you have a competition rifle.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/preparing_competition_brass.htm

Hope we get more input from the experts.

Neck turning isn't just for tight chambers. Also good for those that don't like to work their brass a lot and just use a die like a Forster Bushing Neck Size/shoulder bump die. Why squeeze the neck down, way undersized, then have to pull an expander ball back through the neck to make it large enough for a bullet to be seated. Neck turned cases only need the correct bushing on the die to "squeeze" the neck small enough for the desired neck tension. This helps in ANY chamber. The key elements for those that use this method is to make sure that the neck thicknesses are uniform and the cases have the same "spring back" which is controlled through annealing.

Cases last a lot longer when you don't overwork the brass.

Thanks guys for the help I know y'all know more than myself I'm going to hold off for now and take yalls advice. I'm going to learn to shoot my rifle and enjoy. I know I have a lot of questions but thank y'all for the answers. I'm a little smarter for the help.

Thanks Kevin

Kevin I neck turn and recommend it after you have mastered your technique, I have seen a marked improvement in loaded round concentricity, and way way less fliers at distance, at short range the groups improved slightly, I turn Win 243 or 7-08 into 260 Rem, neck turning completely removes the donut in the 243 brass, and in 7-08 it removes the excess thickness from necking down, neck turning is a lot of work for only a slight gain, that's why I only recommend it after getting a few thousands loaded and sent down range.

I have been shooting Benchrest competetively for 5 years. The competition chambers in 30BR always require turning and are capable of shooting sub 1/4 MOA. This equates to 1.5" at 600 yards. However, check the wind drift on your round with a 5 mph wind and you'll see that it is more than that. I just this year started shooting tactical matches and don't turn any brass. In my opinion (which isn't worth a lot) I think it would be more rewarding to spend time at the range shooting in the wind and learning how to read it accurately than spending time at the loading bench turning necks. Turning necks will give more consistent neck tension on the bullet. The secret to accuracy is consistency. But, is sub 1/4 MOA accuracy really needed for this sport? I agree with 427Cobra that sometimes it is required. Any time you neck up you have to. Also when using a tight neck Benchrest type chamber. My competition rounds have about .0015" neck clearance. One grain of sand or powder in there and it won't work. This is not a good situation when shooting on the clock. Just my 2 cents worth.

Guys thanks for the info I'm not going to turn the brass. I hit the sweet spot today at the range .551" at 200yds. As some have said less time on bench and more time at range. I'm going back and try to do better. Thanks again

Thanks Kevin

Turbo I have figured that out by the answers I have received and at the range yesterday. I have always started with good tools then learn to use them. I think with a .551" group with 4 shots Its time for me to learn to use the tool. If it wasn't for yall I wouldn't be this far in the short time I been here.

Thanks kevin