• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Turning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I have a custom rifle being built here in Australia.

Specs:

My Rifle build details:

Stiller tac 30 action with 20moa rail and oversized recoil lug
Lilja match barrel fitted and finished to 24"
Jewel HVR trigger
Mcmillan A5 with molded in colour and spacer butt assembly
Seekin detachable mag assembly
Seekins scope rings
US Optics SN3 3.2-17x44

It's 11 months since I placed the order and still waiting...but that is another story.

What i have done is order 1000 Lapua .308 cases and a heap of 155gr projectiles. I've asked my smith to make the freebore on my rifle so that the bullet range of 155-175 can fit the magazine but still touch the lands.

This will not be a tight neck chamber so my question is do I need to neck turn?

I'm setup to neck turn and my thinking is I will do it whilst I wait for my rifle if it's going to make a significant accuracy difference.

opinions appreciated

Re: Neck Turning

If you are going to do BR shooting, F class and such, then anything to give you the edge is a plus. If you are doing LR and tactical type then perhaps there is a diminishing return on your time spend. Lapua cases are usually GTG. I use them and never have to do much in terms of preparation. On the other hand, if you are still waiting for your rifle and have nothing else to do then neck turning is a good way to kill the extra time IMHO.

Re: Neck Turning

What I think I'll do is Neck turn a batch and leave another batch unturned and run a quick accuracy comparison when my rifle arrives. If the diff is significant I'll have my answer.

Cheers
Rath