• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck up 243 or Neck down 7mm-08 for 260win brass

cypriss32

L337
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Looking to stick with win brass dunno why..... Would you recomend necking up 243 or necking down 7mm-08? Never had to form brass before.

Re: Neck up 243 or Neck down 7mm-08 for 260win brass

Neck down 7mm-08 brass. This helps so you won't have a crease or donut where the shoulder used to be on the 243, that is now part of the neck on the 260. But, I have seen people go both ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen people go both ways. </div></div>

Seems to be common these days!

7-08 dude

Do you think he meant "arrogant"?

I wonder what we are wanting to be?

read an aricle on 6mmbr.com that said its better to neck down, and neck turn to unform the neck and custom fit it to the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you think he meant "arrogant"?

I wonder what we are wanting to be?
</div></div>

Beats me, I would try to ask him, but I dont waste my breath on the likes of him. I already gave him a piece of my mind.

I don't think it makes as much difference unless you're using a tight neck chamber. All my chambers are SAAMI spec'd, I use both .243 and 7-08, and haven't really seen any issues I might attribute to dounts. If donuts were an issue, I'd stick with 7-08.

Greg

I neck down 7mm/08 as well, a couple of things to consider though, when necking down with a Redding FL sizing die WITH bushing you will not get the complete neck sized to the shoulder it will leave a slight bulge near the shoulder,(may or may not cause a problem but could cause a headspace issue ) therefore, for the first neck down you should use a FL die with no bushing,or better yet a custom honed FL die to meet your O.D. specs you want for your neck.

I personally like Remington Brass, except for the fact of getting loose primer pockets too quick, I usually end up throwing it away when i feel no bite when seating primers with the hand tool.

I would think that any headspacing problems associated with only sizing the neck partway would be minor. Expansion and springback during/after firing will rarely result in a casing which will not chamber. If it does, that's usually an indication that the case is highly work-hardened and nearing either its end of usefulness, or at least coming due for annealing. If it will chamber before sizing, it's even less likely that it won't afterward.

Greg