• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necking 22 ARC from 6.5 Grendel brass

rick539

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2010
I need to neck turn my resized 6.5 Grendel brass for 22 ARC. The fired brass did not fully expand to let a bullet fall thru a freshly fired brass cartridge. I had 3.5 thou of neck tension. I looks like I got about 1.5 thou of neck expansion. The Grendel brass has a neck thickness of about 15 thou compared to the Factory thickness of 11 thou. Do you think turning the neck down to 13 thou is enough. I just feel 11 thou is a bit thin to hold good tension.

When I made 22 Grendel brass I had to neck turn it as well. 13 thou sounds about right

I have a Hornady neck cutter. Comes with standard and 30 degree cutting bit. Any recommendation for the 22 ARC.

I have a Hornady neck cutter. Comes with standard and 30 degree cutting bit. Any recommendation for the 22 ARC.
In terms of what? Sizing 6.5 Grendel brass down and neck turning it? If yes, I would say neck one piece of brass down, neck turn it to .013" , and then shoot it a couple times. Check for clearance on a fired case by sliding a bullet in a fired neck. Looking for any resistance. Be on the lookout for donuts on the inside of the neck. You should not have any when you neck brass down tho. You typically get donuts when you neck brass up and part of the shoulder turns in the neck. That's when you would want the 30° cutter.. You should not have to worry about that forming 6.5 into 22 Arc though.

Reactions: Big Grizz