• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necking down a 300wsm to a 7mm-300wsm?

ghost1921

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Northern CA
Any feedback as to some of the techniques would be greatly appreciated.
I am going to be using Norma 300wsm brass, and berger 7mm 180vld.
Thanks

Re: Necking down a 300wsm to a 7mm-300wsm?

One pass thru the sizing die with good lube ought to form the case. Problem maybe/maybe not is that when you size the neck down, it thickens and shortens a bit. If you can get the internal neck diameter of your new chamber from your gunsmith, form your new brass and seat a 7mm bullet then mike the outside of the neck with the bullet seated. You need about .002 on each side to allow for expansion and release of the bullet. If you don't have that much or more, you'll need to outside neck turn the brass to allow expansion. Then trim to length as your new brass allows. JMHO

Suggest Imperial sizing die wax (lightly applied), don't jam them through the die. Just smoothly size them down, trim to length, deburr, and run a brush through the neck. just finished 500 of the Norma brass, didn't lose any, good lot of brass.
Try RL25 and H4831SC with mag primers and put the Bergers into the lands a bit.

I use a 7mm WSM Hornady full length die for case forming and Redding competition dies for neck sizing and bullet seating.
My rifle has a tight neck so I must also turn the necks, which is a whole extra list of steps