• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necking down the 6.5 x 47 L

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I am new to wildcatting, is necking down the 6.5 case to 6 as easy as lubing the neck and neck sizing? Reason I am asking is I am trying to decide between the two calibers.

Re: Necking down the 6.5 x 47 L

JCH,
It's very easy.Just adjust the size die so a slight false shoulder is created.That way the brass fireforms straight.You only do this once then you are done.This brass is super tough!Use a warm load to fireform with.

The best way to feel the false shoulder is to remove the fireing pin assembly from the bolt.Then size the 6.5x47l case down so it goes into the 6x47l chamber of your rifle snug with medium bolt pressure.

After you have fired the brass once just load it like normal.I use the same procedure to set the die for shoulder bump but with very slight bolt closing pressure.

Steve

Re: Necking down the 6.5 x 47 L

Very easy to neck down, the first rifle I built out of the parent case was a 22 x 47 Lapua and I took the brass down in 3 steps using a Redding type S die with 3 different bushings, this gun shoots very well.