• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necking up 22 CM or necking down 6.6 CM to 6 CM?

I don't know about necking up 22CM to 6CM...

...but I know necking up (and then fire-forming) 22-250Rem into 6CM works great, because I've got Lapua ex-22-250Rem/6CM with 2 barrels and ~13 firings and counting on it, and it works awesome.

Should be fine.

What is 6.6CM tho lol?

You might've given me an idea for a new cartridge: 6.66SLAYER would be metal as fuck, I'm going to need to order a reamer.

tempImage61nvLk.pngtempImageYv8Ezv.png

Much like you can't find SRP brass, I had the reverse issue, a bunch of LRP's when no 6CM LRP brass could be found.

Lapua doesn't make LRP 6CM, so I did lol.

Necking down will thicken the necks, necking up will do the opposite and thin the neck. How much neck clearance do you have on loaded rounds? If it is tight than necking up would provide additional clearance. If it is really loose than necking down will tighten up some of that clearance.

Necking down will thicken the necks, necking up will do the opposite and thin the neck. How much neck clearance do you have on loaded rounds? If it is tight than necking up would provide additional clearance. If it is really loose than necking down will tighten up some of that clearance.
I have a .277 neck. It’s about .004 clearance on a loaded round

IMO there's only one way it can go bad on you, and that's necking down: necking down from 6.5 stuff is a more complicated process in that to do it without any unwanted surprises you'll need to do it in 2 separate steps with 2 separate progressively smaller/tighter bushings... and if you lube them adequately and everything goes right, then if they don't fit... fuck, now you're going to have to become a neck turner lol.

Necking up from .22 stuff is a simple, no lube necessary, 1-step process using a TiNi/BkNi/carbide mandrel die (I use a TiNi Sinclair .241 Neck Turning Arbor). It's as fool-proof as it gets (a term you hear used incorrectly too much, but I'm a fool and even I can do it without fucking it up lol). The brass will conform to your neck/chamber on the first firing.

Last edited:
Reactions: diderr