• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necks not expanding on new 243 brass

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
new hornady 243 brass
41.5 grains imr 4831
new remy 700 243

i was fireforming them to my chamber so i could start my load workup, and after fireing the necks are still VERY tight.

I cant even get my lee collet into the case necks.

any ideas?

here is the picture of the fired case. i was shocked at how clean it was

20121203_114333.jpg

Re: Necks not expanding on new 243 brass

Measure the mandrel on your Lee Collet die and make sure it's not oversized. Tight necked chamber? Doesn't seem likely on a factory rifle, but who knows? Take a bullet and see if you can slide it into the neck of a fired case by hand. If not, you may need to turn necks. Also measure the neck OD of a loaded round and the neck OD of a fired case and see what the difference is.

John

I cant even come close to sliding a bullet into the fired brass.

They did expand as little. The new brass mics at .269 od and the fired brass at .276

This something I should contact Remington about? I really dont wanna have to neck turn

I'd try a different brand of brass first. Could be the Hornady is exceptionally thick. Try some winchester. It'd be worth a box of ammo just to know. I really doubt that a factory Remington chamber is going to require you to turn necks with normal brass.

John

well i was trying to be cheap so i originally bought some winchester brass, but was severely disappointed in it. Out of a bag of 50, 19 of them had off center flash holes.

i figured hornady would be better. I ordered 100 of them.

the moral of the story is i shouldnt be a cheap ass, and just buy LAPUA

I suggested Winchester because its generally not as thick as others and would make a good comparison tool. Just out of curiosity, seat a bullet in the Winchester and measure the neck OD and see how it compares to the Hornady. Would also be worth loading a Winchester case and shooting it and see if you can slide a bullet in a fired Winchester case.

Not saying Winchester is the brass you wanna use, but just to use it as a tool to determine whether the problem is brass thickness or if you have an undersized chamber.

John

It looks to me that you are into buying a set of neck turning tools. Or a set of Wilson inside neck reamers. JMHO

I see where you gave a new neck dia. og .269 but ,what is the new loaded neck dia.? I'm thinking new neck thickness is around .014-.0145? .243+.029=.272? you should have .004 left. Does the fired roumd re-chamber easily? Or put another way .276-.243=.033/2 neck thickness.(.0165) That seems excessive.
Did you inside & out champher the necks?(Do I see a bur in the pic?)

I have been using Hornady brass with no problem in my Rem 700 SPS - that said, I'm still working on load data - any suggestions using a 87 gr Hornady HPBT and Sierra 95 gr MK ? I am using both IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 powders.

well looks like i was partly wrong about the bullet not going into a fired case.

with a little more effort they do go in. i was just comparing it to my 308 where the bullets fall in with no problem. the 243 takes a little pushing, but they do go in.

and when i said my brass would not fit in the collet, i hadnt tried it yet in the press, i just took the mandrel out and tried to fit it into a case.

the brass does go in and size no problem.

however i was expecting a little more neck tension, as a neck sized hornady =.271 and a loaded neck sized hornady = .272

anyone have luck polishing off a little, or is it best to send to lee and have them do it.

thanks for the help everyone

Unless you are going to use it in an autoloader, the .001 is GTG. If you want more, chuck it in a drill press and take of a couple of thousandths with 1000 grit paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant even come close to sliding a bullet into the fired brass.

They did expand as little. The new brass mics at .269 od and the fired brass at .276

This something I should contact Remington about? I really dont wanna have to neck turn </div></div>
YOU DIDN'T DO WHAT YOU WERE TOLD TO DO MEASURE A LOADED ROUND COMPARE TO FIRED ROUND. NEW BRASS IS UNDER SIZE.