• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ned Opinions.. This is what I have, wht do I need

LSUbeatUby40

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Okay, so I am just getting into the Reloading game..

I will have a TBA M70 build later in .30-06, so that is what I will be loading for..

I have already purchased some components..

1. 1000ct of CCI BR2 primers
2. 1000ct of Win WLR primers
3. 15lb's of Alliant RL19
4. 2 x 500 190gr. SMK's
5. 1000ct LC69 brass from gibrass.com + processed.

I have been on Midway compiling a list of things I think I need, but am not to sure so help would be appreciated? This is what I came up with..

1. RCBS Ammomaster 2 Single Stage Press
2. RCBS Rangemaster 750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Gr Capacity 110V
3. RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer Kit 220V
4. Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110V
5. RCBS GMM Series Bushing 2-Die Set for .30-06
6. RCBS GMM Series Bushing 2-Die Neck Sizer Set for .30-06
7. RCBS APS Hand Priming Tool
8. RCBS Shellholder #3
9. S&W Electronic Caliper 4" SS
10. RCBS Precision Mic for .30-06
11. Forster Funnel
12. Lyman Power Chamfer and Deburring Kit + Tool Set
13. Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool
14. Hornady One Shot Case Lube Spray

Re: Ned Opinions.. This is what I have, wht do I need

Well, I guess I'd ask how seriously you'd like to get into the game.

You can get an RCBS RockChucker Supreme kit for 300 bucks, it will have a manual balance, but everything else in it is top notch. The manual balance just takes a little longer. I use one because I put the money into more components.

That's the base question I'm getting at I suppose. If you spend 1k on equipment when you can easily get by for now on $400, the other 600 bucks buys a lot of primers, powder, and bullets.

Get yourself a good set of dies, if you want to spend the extra 50 bucks on a micrometer seating die that's nice, I haven't done it yet, but I'm also the sucker that takes 25 mins to painstakingly set his seating length each time he changes bullets. Hence I try not to change bullets...ever.

You probably don't need to get the power trimmer, especially the 220v since the US runs off of 110. I have a manual trimmer and it suits my needs. If you buy the manual one and chuck it in a hand drill or a drill press you can get by that way.

There's lots of DIY ways to get around paying for the power attachments and spend the extra money on components for more time behind the trigger.

2. RCBS Rangemaster 750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Gr Capacity 110V -- skip this and get a 10-10 scale

3. RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer Kit 220V -- skip this and get a Wilson trimmer, you can upgrade later to a Giruad

5. RCBS GMM Series Bushing 2-Die Set for .30-06
6. RCBS GMM Series Bushing 2-Die Neck Sizer Set for .30-06 --skip these and go with a Redding Type S set with comp seater and Redding bushings

14. Hornady One Shot Case Lube Spray -- use nothing but Imperial Sizing Wax, its alot cheaper and last forever

Check out Forester for a good manual case trimmer that can be powered with an electric screw driver.... BTW - my Dillon 450 has been putting out match grade ammo for years at a quicker pace.... I still do some work on my single stages, but most on the Dillon and Lyman T-Mag Turret press... If I was buying a single stage, the Forester CoAx wins hands down....

Thanks for the Suggestions, I will definitely weigh all my options.

As for seriousness in the game, I can say that I plan on only sticking to reloading if supplies are available, and like bohem, I am pretty OCD about exactness..

Re: Ned Opinions.. This is what I have, wht do I

What are you planning on reloading that needs an AmmoMaster? That thing will work you to death (long throw). I'm not too impressed with anything that uses standoffs; little chance that the die will be aligned with the ram. I like Redding's stuff.

I'd suggest that you do some searches on several forums for each piece of equipment you've chosen. Without experience, it's hard to know what you're buying. It's easy to buy better equipment than RCBS's, and MidWay is high on both prices and shipping. MidSouth has the RCBS kit for $260, just for comparison.

I agree with 427Cobra's recommendations. The Wilson is the nicest to use of the manual trimmers. If you don't need a mic seating die, Forster's standard seater is a choice. You'll want a VLD chamfer tool.

Get ahold of a Sinclair catalog; they're free for the asking. There are nicer accessories available than those from Lyman and RCBS.

Keep looking and asking questions.

For less $$ the Forster Co-Ax is a better press unless you plan on loading 50 BMG, and even then, you're better off loading it and standard cartridges on different presses.

Since the Forster does not use conventional shell holders, get the RCBS Universal hand primer; it doesn't use them either, and you won't have to mess with APS strips.

Wilson Trimmer and case holder (+opt pwr adapter)
RCBS Uniflow quick change or Hornady LNL powder measure
Hornady Cam-lock bullet puller and collet(s)
Forster Bench Rest or Ultra Bench Rest FL die set
Lee Collet neck sizer die set (discard the seating die)
Frankford Arsenal (midway house brand) electronic caliper

Andy

4 inch calipers will absolutly suck in my opinion. Nothing to hold onto. Especially with 30.06. Stick with 6in. You won't have enough to hold onto which may impede your ability to get an accurate measurement.
I would also consider adding the Hornady headspace gage and bullet comparator to your list. The bullet comparator will reduce the usable length of you calipers by one inch, the headspace gage by two inches.