• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a 1-8 at $2K or less and need some help deciding....please!

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
I've gone around and around on this and here's where I stand....
Rifle is a SR25 16" barrel; role is range time/SHTF and hunting deer. While I have other AR's (2 SR15's, PWS in 300blk, etc.), this will be my 'main' rifle so I want to keep it light but able to shoot to 500y. I'm currently choosing a range but in any case will be able to shoot at least 300y consistently and in two cases, far more....one up to 3 miles! Clearly I'll not be shooting more than 1,000y ever and if this optic can serve that as well, so be it but it's not the goal.

FFP, ranging reticle like on the S&B mentioned below and illuminated preferred.

In any case, I'll likely add an offset RMR but if not necessary, would increase my interest in the optic.

After a LOT of reading, reviews, videos, etc. I've all but settled on the following optics; NX8, ATACR 1-8 or 4-16 (used), S&B 1.1-8 (used).

I've had the NX8 and the eyebox to me wasn't terrible but I sold it thinking I'd perhaps find better. However, if that's the best I can get for the money, I may be inclined to give it a go again.

All in all, I think the ATACR might be the best option but it's out of my price range unless I get lucky and snag on on the sales page. The S&B seems to check all the boxes but I do know that at 1x, the reticle sucks.....but, if I have the RMR.....you get it.

Other Brands? Elcan perhaps but it only has up to 6 power; is there a big enough difference between 6-8 for me to warrant exclusion?

I'm not a fan of Vortex; no reason really so don't ask, can't explain it really.

Any advice appreciated on the above optics or others that might fit the bill.

Thanks. I may go up to Bass Pro and see if they have any in stock. To be fair, I've never held any of the Vortex higher end stuff; only Strike Eagles.

Thanks. I may go up to Bass Pro and see if they have any in stock. To be fair, I've never held any of the Vortex higher end stuff; only Strike Eagles.
Completely different animals. The razor line I would definitely call high end optics and they have the reputation to back it up. Razor line are built like tanks. For how many of them are out there there are very few problems reported about them. I believe the razor line is 100% QC tested also, meaning every single razor is checked before it leaves.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a razor in a bass pro. I know the scheels near me has them if you have one near you.

I've gone around and around on this and here's where I stand....
Rifle is a SR25 16" barrel; role is range time/SHTF and hunting deer. While I have other AR's (2 SR15's, PWS in 300blk, etc.), this will be my 'main' rifle so I want to keep it light but able to shoot to 500y. I'm currently choosing a range but in any case will be able to shoot at least 300y consistently and in two cases, far more....one up to 3 miles! Clearly I'll not be shooting more than 1,000y ever and if this optic can serve that as well, so be it but it's not the goal.

FFP, ranging reticle like on the S&B mentioned below and illuminated preferred.

In any case, I'll likely add an offset RMR but if not necessary, would increase my interest in the optic.

After a LOT of reading, reviews, videos, etc. I've all but settled on the following optics; NX8, ATACR 1-8 or 4-16 (used), S&B 1.1-8 (used).

I've had the NX8 and the eyebox to me wasn't terrible but I sold it thinking I'd perhaps find better. However, if that's the best I can get for the money, I may be inclined to give it a go again.

All in all, I think the ATACR might be the best option but it's out of my price range unless I get lucky and snag on on the sales page. The S&B seems to check all the boxes but I do know that at 1x, the reticle sucks.....but, if I have the RMR.....you get it.

Other Brands? Elcan perhaps but it only has up to 6 power; is there a big enough difference between 6-8 for me to warrant exclusion?

I'm not a fan of Vortex; no reason really so don't ask, can't explain it really.

Any advice appreciated on the above optics or others that might fit the bill.
If you’re considering Elcan, look at the SpecterTR 1-3-9. Bomb proof and the 7.62 hold over reticle works well with 168/175 out to 600m (its meant for 147-149 fmjbt).

Otherwise the ATACR 1-8 w/an RMR on top for closer in/more rapid target work. yea, you can use the ATACR at 1x for that but its not as “quick” plus stress to the upper back/neck muscles when on an lpvo at 1x running it like a carbine IMO.

Last edited:
I like the NX8 1-8x for its compactness, but I like the ATACR’s reticle better.

1-10 Gen 3 Razor has amazing exit pupil and the scope body seems to disappear in my FOV.

Might be a good idea to wait until SHOT to see what the new hotness is, then look in the PX for sales, but prices are going up on a lot of things.

Reactions: clubmanager
To be fair, I've never held any of the Vortex higher end stuff; only Strike Eagles.

121b24e7-5145-45f9-a17d-7ad76732ded8.jpg

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I can’t offer you advice, but I’m kind of in the same boat…wanting one for my Seekins SP10 308.
I’m pissed at myself for not jumping on a Razor 1-10 from Liberty Optics before the recent price increases.

Not sure what I’ll do now either…should have listened to Scott!!

Not 8x’s, but I’ve got a Razor 1-6 and Eotech 1-6. The glass is surprisingly nice on the Eotech, it’s light and after running their hws I like the 7.62 reticle. But the Razor eye box is sweet, everything else does just disappear -it’s not remotely related to Strike Eagle and worth checking out.
Haven’t looked thru an ATACR 1-8, my 4-16 ATACR is a tank, great glass, NF solid as always so if that’s in your budget maybe there’s your answer.

I can’t offer you advice, but I’m kind of in the same boat…wanting one for my Seekins SP10 308.
I’m pissed at myself for not jumping on a Razor 1-10 from Liberty Optics before the recent price increases.

Not sure what I’ll do now either…should have listened to Scott!!
Sorry to derail, but what's the deal with the huge price increase on the razor 1-10 and gen 2 4-27?? They aren't small increases, they seem in excess to inflation / material cost increases. But maybe that's all it is.

OP, I've had an nx8, razor 1-6, and 1-10. The 1-10 really is a damn good scope, much better than the nx8. It's very similar performance to the razor 1-6, just obviously up to 10x and better reticle for distance shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: clubmanager
Own the S&B 1-8 dual among others. For your budget I would absolutely get the Vortex g3 1-10. Better reticle, turrets, and glass IMO than the Atacr. There is a new reticle for the ATACR.

Thanks y’all.....any thoughts in that Schmidt and Bender 1.1-8?
I have one on my AR10 and love it…

i-mH4fKGj.jpg

also recently grabbed a NF NX8 demo from Eurooptic recently for one of my 5.56 uppers, and it looks very promising with nice glass, etc., but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.

68480559-8BAC-41F7-A720-DD90A3BAEB3E-X5.jpg

After paint:

5C7E5738-7DAB-4E6C-84AB-D9273B4CA844-4K.jpg

Subtle … LOL

29977AD2-70C1-480E-A98C-D93B8A4AF722-4K.jpg

You have to tell me more about that paint! That’s bloody sexy.
And just to be clear, that’s the 1.1-8, not the 1-8? My only hesitation there is the how the reticle looks at 1x; I’ve read you almost can’t see it. Can you confirm or deny please?
I’m gonna get my hands on the Razor and see if it’s the answer….somehow.

And…..any love for Elcan Spectre DR 1.5-6? Found one at a good price and it seems to check a lot of boxes.

First, I’m with you on Vortex BUT I will say the 1-10 Razor was too much to not try. I spent my money on a scope other than a Nightforce for the first time in probably 10-12 years.

I can’t speak for the 1-8 NXS but the detail reticle is non-existent on the 1-10 Razor at 1x. However, the red dot is daylight bright even in the sunniest conditions AND the heavy duplex at 3,6,9 are easily seen, but a bit short for my taste. I wish it went to the edge of the FOV, at least I think I do…. Maybe I want it because I can’t have it.

I’m not loving the 1-10 Razor but I’m not sure anything else out there is better except maybe the March. I have shot the ATACR 1-8 and it’s certainly a quality optic, but I didn’t care for the way the way my eyes reacted to it both eyes open. I got a sort of fish eye/tunneling thing going. I have something similar with the 1-10, though it doesn’t seem quite as pronounced. I’d like to shoot them head to head now and see if it’s just more training giving the edge to the Vortex.

In the meantime, I have added an RMR on a T Rex mount. I’m still not sure this is going to be the ticket, so there is a decent chance I’ll be trying one of my 2.5-10 NXSs in a 1.5 Geissele with a Reptilian 12 o’clock front ring cap. That should put the dot at about 1.93 like the current Vortex and the dot will be the main optic allowing me to drop down to the say 4 or 6 x for shots that require more precision and less speed.

Before making a choice, I’d call around and see what street price is. Many good vendors here and I would bet all of them will help where they can cost wise if you talk with them on the phone. Personally, I like to use Jason and Eurooptics if I have the option. He’s been one of us for years, before he worked there I think and it always a good conversation. Even if there is no wiggle room in pricing it worth the call.

This is where I get stuck on doing a 1-x or something like 3-12 (or close to that); seems no one makes a really good 1x and as such, people mount a red dot. If I’m gonna do that, it seems smart to live up in magnification slightly and go with an RMR?
Granted, it might be different if this were a 5.56.

I’m really interested in that S&B 1.1-8 at $2K but for that money (and using my case above) an ATACR 4-16 could possibly be had…..or NX8 2.5-20. Yes/No?

SuperSetCa has some of my favorite reviews. He compares a lot of high end LVPOs here.

I would center your pic around what reticle you want. With that money you're not going to be disappointed in glass and frankly noone is really doing optical test with their LVPOs. I'm saying it's not one of those optics you're going to take 20 minutes past official sunset and try to take a shot with, because the design for the most part isn't going to allow it.

I had a 1-6 Gen II which is still a great LVPO to this day but hated the VMR-2 reticle. I have a Gen III on order because that is one seems to check all the boxes without giving up much to it's predecessor.

This is where I get stuck on doing a 1-x or something like 3-12 (or close to that); seems no one makes a really good 1x and as such, people mount a red dot. If I’m gonna do that, it seems smart to live up in magnification slightly and go with an RMR?
Granted, it might be different if this were a 5.56.

I’m really interested in that S&B 1.1-8 at $2K but for that money (and using my case above) an ATACR 4-16 could possibly be had…..or NX8 2.5-20. Yes/No?

From your posts it sounds like you want a S&B 1.1-8 and want people to tell you to get it. So here you go, get it. The Gen III 1-10 is an excellent optic and will do what you want but you want an S&B so buy it as you won't be happy with anything else no matter how they perform. Then you can judge if the S&B will do what you want. I have a 1-10 on my .308 AR and hit 10" plates at 540 yards without a problem. The 8x should do it for you.

You want light weight and being able to hit to 500 yards. Well if going with a higher powered optic and a red dot on it you are losing light weight. Got to figure your actual uses and needs.

Thanks; that makes a lot of sense, sort of just splitting hairs at some point I suppose. I’ll never have the time to train long distance and using a lot of holdovers so now prefer ‘aim and point’ like my ACOG’s and Accupoints. I know they are not spot-on but I like BDC reticle with a ranging guide in there as well….like the Elcan, S&B. The reticle on the 1-8 ATACR is probably as complicated as I’d use.

From your posts it sounds like you want a S&B 1.1-8 and want people to tell you to get it. So here you go, get it. The Gen III 1-10 is an excellent optic and will do what you want but you want an S&B so buy it as you won't be happy with anything else no matter how they perform. Then you can judge if the S&B will do what you want. I have a 1-10 on my .308 AR and hit 10" plates at 540 yards without a problem. The 8x should do it for you.

You want light weight and being able to hit to 500 yards. Well if going with a higher powered optic and a red dot on it you are losing light weight. Got to figure your actual uses and needs.
I don’t want people to tell me to GET it, I want people to tell me ABOUT it. There’s like zero real intel online so just looking for real people with real experience. Other than that, YEAH, I’ll figure it out on my own.

I don’t want people to tell me to GET it, I want people to tell me ABOUT it. There’s like zero real intel online so just looking for real people with real experience. Other than that, YEAH, I’ll figure it out on my own.

Maybe but in my 20+years on this site it's not the first time I have seen posts like this. And maybe zero real intel is intel on it's own. ;)

And shooting long range is not "aim and point". You have to put some work in to hit targets at longer ranges reliably no matter the reticle.

Thanks, but I don’t plan to shoot Long Range recognizing my lack of time to properly learn. And I didn’t mean to imply that being the mission so sorry if I’ve confused things even more than necessary.
Your comment re: the lack of Intel is probably spot-on; there’s a reason ;)
Sounds like getting a Razor is the plan.

Reactions: 1911hombre
With any of them you should be fine at 500 yards with a little work so honestly get what you want. I would hate for you to get something you don't want and not be happy but the 8-10x LPVO market is very good now. Take a look at the video posted above by 5RWill as those are the 4 I would be looking at in that price range anyways. It gives a good idea of the scopes for close and long shooting as well as the reticles. It should help some to decide.

To give a size reference here is a 1-10 with the sunshade on on my 20" .308. Take sunshade off and the end is right where that heavier line is on the end. Mine is the MOA reticle as I like the BDC in it as I was used to using the JM-1 in the 1-6x.

308 1 to 10.jpg

With any of them you should be fine at 500 yards with a little work so honestly get what you want. I would hate for you to get something you don't want and not be happy but the 8-10x LPVO market is very good now. Take a look at the video posted above by 5RWill as those are the 4 I would be looking at in that price range anyways. It gives a good idea of the scopes for close and long shooting as well as the reticles. It should help some to decide.

To give a size reference here is a 1-10 with the sunshade on on my 20" .308. Take sunshade off and the end is right where that heavier line is on the end. Mine is the MOA reticle as I like the BDC in it as I was used to using the JM-1 in the 1-6x.

View attachment 7780113
Sweet! Thanks a bunch. I feel like I’m finally narrowing this down.

Reactions: Rob01
It sounds like you want the easy button on intermediate range. That's probably the razor 1-10. Like the guy above said I don't love it but it gets the job done. If you're like me and want to shoot to 5-600 consistently without really putting the work in the bdc version works well within certain parameters and 16" 308 happens to be one of those.

I think it was Stephen that posted this in another thread.

EBR9 Comparison.jpg

Very simple and put one of the new affordable commercial clip ons in front of it and now you have intermediate nighttime covered as well. Putting together a functional day/night setup is getting a lot simpler and cheaper. One thing I would recommend with g3 is that if you shoot with your stock in and ntch get an extended cantilever. The Scalarworks doesn't get it far enough forward for me and I'm going to swap it out for an adm 3" offset.

20220109_085021.jpg

It sounds like you want the easy button on intermediate range. That's probably the razor 1-10. Like the guy above said I don't love it but it gets the job done. If you're like me and want to shoot to 5-600 consistently without really putting the work in the bdc version works well within certain parameters and 16" 308 happens to be one of those.

I think it was Stephen that posted this in another thread.

View attachment 7780169

Very simple and put one of the new affordable commercial clip ons in front of it and now you have intermediate nighttime covered as well. Putting together a functional day/night setup is getting a lot simpler and cheaper. One thing I would recommend with g3 is that if you shoot with your stock in and ntch get an extended cantilever. The Scalarworks doesn't get it far enough forward for me and I'm going to swap it out for an adm 3" offset.

View attachment 7780182
Thanks. I appreciate the explanation of the reticle, it really does seem right for me. And thanks for the info re: Scalarworks, it was on the short list for a mount!
BTW; what brand is that Red Dot?

Leopold delta point pro NV. It's a place holder until it's clear weather or not aimpoint got their shit together on the p2. If not I'll do a t2. It rains/sleets/fogs too much here for an open emitter and I wouldn't do one on a long gun again.

It's for passive nighttime shooting. Imo the eyebox on the g3 is nice if you get the eye relief right and the illumination is nuclear bright so with some reps you really don't need a dot unless you're shooting at night or clearing rooms or something.

Another idea of size, here is mine in a 1.93 Badger Condition One. Rifle is my version of a URG-I, 14.5” with a War Comp.

Other rifle is a Strike Eagle 1-6. His has that newer BDC they are putting in ACOGs. He did almost equally well points wise that day with mixed store bought ammo. (He smoked me in the run)

As Rob said, lots of good choices. In the end, it’s the Indian not the arrow.

6FEF9E3E-FAA4-4689-8869-93045522ED98.jpeg

FWIW, I ran the numbers in my go to load before competing. 77gr SMK over 24.4gr RL15. Runs right at 2550 in this 14.5”. With this scope zeroed at 100 yards, each hold over is 100y off. I.E. The 3 line is 200y, the 4 line is 300y, etc. the 20 MOA hash is 600y. Not ideal for stress shooting but it works. We proved on IPSC steel that IMI 55gr FMJ is close enough to 500 yards to the load above that it’s interchangeable on the half sized steel to 300+ and full size at 500y. We only have Full sized and poppers at 500. At 7-15 yards it also indistinguishable.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Another idea of size, here is mine in a 1.93 Badger Condition One. Rifle is my version of a URG-I, 14.5” with a War Comp.

Other rifle is a Strike Eagle 1-6. His has that newer BDC they are putting in ACOGs. He did almost equally well points wise that day with mixed store bought ammo. (He smoked me in the run)

As Rob said, lots of good choices. In the end, it’s the Indian not the arrow.

View attachment 7780262

FWIW, I ran the numbers in my go to load before competing. 77gr SMK over 24.4gr RL15. Runs right at 2550 in this 14.5”. With this scope zeroed at 100 yards, each hold over is 100y off. I.E. The 3 line is 200y, the 4 line is 300y, etc. the 20 MOA hash is 600y. Not ideal for stress shooting but it works. We proved on IPSC steel that IMI 55gr FMJ is close enough to 500 yards to the load above that it’s interchangeable on the half sized steel to 300+ and full size at 500y. We only have Full sized and poppers at 500. At 7-15 yards it also indistinguishable.
Nice. I like the Rhodie camo btw!

Agree easy button is the Gen3 1-10.
Confirming you know that the 1.1-8 S&B is quite different from the 1-8 CCdual. Sorry if I missed that you do.
Do you have specific questions re: either S&B?

You have to tell me more about that paint! That’s bloody sexy.
And just to be clear, that’s the 1.1-8, not the 1-8? My only hesitation there is the how the reticle looks at 1x; I’ve read you almost can’t see it. Can you confirm or deny please?
I’m gonna get my hands on the Razor and see if it’s the answer….somehow.

And…..any love for Elcan Spectre DR 1.5-6? Found one at a good price and it seems to check a lot of boxes.
Yes, it’s the 1.1 And if you can tell the difference between that and a true 1:1, you have better eyes than me! I really like the view in CC (CQB) mode…though a bit of fish eye type distortion, but again, that could just be my eyes.

A3AF842A-E9C0-4F3A-A460-0DF52D5B7CE7.jpeg

The one I’m considering is the 1.1-8 High Power and like I’ve said before, there’s nearly zero information out there in them so am in the dark. To be honest, I’ve never held a S&B scope before but know they’re supposed to be awesome so that is driving my interest; the scope is my price range at $2K which doesn’t seem to happen often either.
I may buy it and see how it goes. Worst case, I can sell it later and buy the ATACR or Razor.

Agree easy button is the Gen3 1-10.
Confirming you know that the 1.1-8 S&B is quite different from the 1-8 CCdual. Sorry if I missed that you do.
Do you have specific questions re: either S&B?
Really, just overall I’d like to know more. The only comment I could find pro/con was that the red dot at 1.1 is too small but that may be just a subjective thing. I’ve found a place in my AO that has the NF and Vortex scopes so hope to put my hands on those today. I doubt they even have S&B, let alone this scope in particular.

Really, just overall I’d like to know more. The only comment I could find pro/con was that the red dot at 1.1 is too small but that may be just a subjective thing. I’ve found a place in my AO that has the NF and Vortex scopes so hope to put my hands on those today. I doubt they even have S&B, let alone this scope in particular.
There’s only one way to “know more”. You obviously want it and life is short. So do it.

Run a RDS at 12 o’clock if the view at 1.1x bothers you. If you don’t like it just sell.

Reactions: FatBoy
They aren't small increases, they seem in excess to inflation / material cost increases.

Do you like your pay raises to just keep up with inflation, or outpace it?

Same for companies EBIDTA............

There’s only one way to “know more”. You obviously want it and life is short. So do it.

Run a RDS at 12 o’clock if the view at 1.1x bothers you. If you don’t like it just sell.
I think I’m going to get it since it’s a one-off opportunity and see how it goes. Worst case, sell it and buy a Viper or ATACR since they’re easily found. Thanks y’all, will report back how things shake out.
To add; because of the video above, I may consider getting the Razor 1-6 for a SR15.

IMO the S&B 1.1’s do not function quite as well as a red dot as do true 1x models like the Gen3 1-10 and especially the S&B 1-8 dual. The .1 does add that tiny bit of magnification step. It’s distracting and as was NOT as quick. Best way to describe it was I feel like my eye had to refocus. Not much, but enough.
Additionally as I recall the 1.1-8 is a SFP basic mill hash vs the tree reticle (windage dots) FFP in the Vortex or S&B 1-8 dual. For my purposes, that’s a no brainer.

Last edited:
New Primary Arms updated PLX 1-8x24 ffp just dropped. That's their Japanese line, not sure how it will stack up to the old one optically but they definitely reduced the size. Went from 26 ounces to 16.95...if you can wait a minute till it hits the shelves may be worth looking at. Good luck

Last edited:
I have had the SB 1-8 CC, 1.1-8, and the vortex 1-10. And the 1-6 vortex. And frankly probably every 1-8 available in the US that wasn’t released this year.

The NX8 1-8 and the SB 1.1-8 are sorta competitors. The nx8 is much lighter and cheaper. The 1.1-8 is more premium and has a better eyebox.

The 1-10 Vortex and the 1-8CC compete. And I’m sad to say the Vortex probably beat the 1-8 in eyebox and overall usability. The 1-8 on CC mode is cool, but the edge-to-edge eyebox on the 1-10 makes up for it some. Glass is very similar, but the 1-8 stops at 8 where the objective diameter starts getting iffy and the Vortex keeps going.

The performance on the 1-10 at 9 and 10x is simultaneously reduced noticeable - AND amazing for how small the thing is. Usable for sure till twilight comes.

If I could change one thing it would be to have the vortex have a locking elevation Turret with a simple lockonzero.

Interested in the new Eotech but also watching Leupold on the LPVO side. Seems like they are due for an update

I have the ATACR. I always enjoy seeing the comments where people throw comments that downplay the optic. In my opinion, the vortex is not a direct comparison to the ATACR.

You said you want a SHTF optic…well SOCOM picked the ATACR. NF didn’t create the ATACR for the best eyebox on a square range…they built a great optic with a primary focus of durability. So when people compare the vortex to the NF, what they fail to say is do you want the edge in durability or performance?

I’ve personally never found myself wanting more out of the ATACR. With a Modlite OKW, I’ve lit up black steel targets at 200 yards and been able to see them no problem with the ATACR even on 8x. Maybe I just have buyers bias, but I’ve also spent a good amount of time competing, hunting, and on the range with the ATACR. If I didn’t think it was worth the money, it would’ve been on the sale page a long time ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I have the ATACR. I always enjoy seeing the comments where people throw comments that downplay the optic. In my opinion, the vortex is not a direct comparison to the ATACR.

You said you want a SHTF optic…well SOCOM picked the ATACR. NF didn’t create the ATACR for the best eyebox on a square range…they built a great optic with a primary focus of durability. So when people compare the vortex to the NF, what they fail to say is do you want the edge in durability or performance?

I’ve personally never found myself wanting more out of the ATACR. With a Modlite OKW, I’ve lit up black steel targets at 200 yards and been able to see them no problem with the ATACR even on 8x. Maybe I just have buyers bias, but I’ve also spent a good amount of time competing, hunting, and on the range with the ATACR. If I didn’t think it was worth the money, it would’ve been on the sale page a long time ago.
And the new fire control system that’s replacing most of this crap is made by Vortex. They just got the full production go ahead.

Optics break. That’s what they do. I take pictures of the breakage these days if it’s visible instead of just operational.

My Razor broke on me. it was a 3-18 which is the same backend maker as the 1-10. A ring that held the turret on broke loose. Didn’t get a pic since I didn’t realize how panty-twisted folks get about stuff breaking.

So did my ATACR. Same thing too. Which makes sense - it too was made by LOW for the most part, and at about the same period. Only one I have a pic of right now.

CD31628F-1268-4737-AF9F-5B4A5B6E13C2.jpeg

The nx8 I run on my mk12 has a nf warranty check sticker on it too, and the seller told me it was broke right out of the box and he sent it back cause the elevation turret was broke.

My SB 1-8CC ate shit too. The reticle kept breaking loose and going on vacation.

In response to this breakage, I’ll continue buying top of the line Razors, ATACRS, and PMIIs. And they will all still break, and be replaced as time matches on until the day I die.

Last edited:
Just to be clear there are 3 different S&B options being talked about here:
1.1-8
1-8 CC (SPF mil hash reticle)
1-8 Dual cc (SPF red dot at 1x then FFP tree reticle above CC)
Big differences.

1.1-8
Big differences.
Yes, I’m aware thanks. I bought the 1.1-8; price was excellent and given availability, I had to try it knowing the others can be found in abundance. I’ve thought about it and really was driven to try German glass. I’m not an experienced shooter like most here so am sure it will meet/exceed my abilities but if I don’t like it, will sell and move on. In the meantime, I will go to a local place and put my hands on some optics including the Razor and ATACR. Still need to find something for a SR15 I’m building (well, the MARS lower anyway) so might get one of those listed and do a comparison.
Gonna be awhile as the checkbook recovers.....

I have had the SB 1-8 CC, 1.1-8, and the vortex 1-10. And the 1-6 vortex. And frankly probably every 1-8 available in the US that wasn’t released this year.

The NX8 1-8 and the SB 1.1-8 are sorta competitors. The nx8 is much lighter and cheaper. The 1.1-8 is more premium and has a better eyebox.

The 1-10 Vortex and the 1-8CC compete. And I’m sad to say the Vortex probably beat the 1-8 in eyebox and overall usability. The 1-8 on CC mode is cool, but the edge-to-edge eyebox on the 1-10 makes up for it some. Glass is very similar, but the 1-8 stops at 8 where the objective diameter starts getting iffy and the Vortex keeps going.

The performance on the 1-10 at 9 and 10x is simultaneously reduced noticeable - AND amazing for how small the thing is. Usable for sure till twilight comes.

If I could change one thing it would be to have the vortex have a locking elevation Turret with a simple lockonzero.
Almost makes me want to send you my Steiner M8XI for you to compare to your others.

Almost makes me want to send you my Steiner M8XI for you to compare to your others.
Heh - I had forgotten the dead Steiner this month. Killed one on a .300 PRC AI gun - the IFS system stopped IFS'ing.

1641922782641.png

I have seen the M8Xi. I think if you get the IFS one you have something super special. The non-ifs one is pretty good - very similar to the SB 1-8.

Reactions: stefan73
1.1-8
Big differences.
Correct. The Dual CC is the only one worth buying even though its twice what a Razor G3 costs. The other 2 are massively overpriced for the market and lack of desirable features.

OP for a $2K price you will not beat the Gen 3 Razor. The only thing better on the market is the SB 18 Dual CC.

The only real compeititeor is the NX8 and ATACR8 and both are inferior optics to the razor as an overall package. Try and snag a G3 for $1700 before all the price increases trickle down.

Correct. The Dual CC is the only one worth buying even though its twice what a Razor G3 costs. The other 2 are massively overpriced for the market and lack of desirable features.

OP for a $2K price you will not beat the Gen 3 Razor. The only thing better on the market is the SB 18 Dual CC.

The only real compeititeor is the NX8 and ATACR8 and both are inferior optics to the razor as an overall package. Try and snag a G3 for $1700 before all the price increases trickle down.
What he said

I'm gonna swing by a shop and see if I can get my hands on one and/or buy one here or ARfcom. I still have an optic need for the SR15, just gonna wait and see how I like the S&B first as it may impact my course of action. Thanks y'all.