• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need a 12g to mess around with

Buckeye Scott

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I got a budget of $400 and want to get a 12g for busting some clays and whatnot. Remington 870 vs Mossburg 500? I assume the difference there is a personal preference. What model of each could I get or is there something else out there in that price range. Thanks.

Re: Need a 12g to mess around with

older 870 wingmaster. can be had from any gunshop or pawnshop usually for around 300. AWESOME guns. Get one with pretty wood if your going to take care of it, or get one with uglier wood for a little cheaper if you dont wanna worry about the wood. Look for one with the choke you want.

870 Wingmaster would be my choice as well. None of the plastic parts of the newer models and you can often find them cheaper too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">older 870 wingmaster. can be had from any gunshop or pawnshop usually for around 300. AWESOME guns. Get one with pretty wood if your going to take care of it, or get one with uglier wood for a little cheaper if you dont wanna worry about the wood. Look for one with the choke you want. </div></div>

Very good advice. I found a used one, unfired and in new condition. It is so nice, I can not bring myself to throw it around (which is why I bought it).

the 870 is head and shoulders above the mossberg 500.
that said, my personal favorite is the benelli nova pump .

i work at gander mountain in huber heights near dayton and i got 1 870 wingmaster left on the shelf for 250. we got a bunch of them from a police buy and they are in great shape. 18" barrel and the wood is pretty rough but worth every bit of 250.

My vote goes to the 870 as well

as noted above you can pick up a benelli supernova for under $400 if you look around. I own both and prefer the Benelli for clays/birds and the 870 for everything else

870 Wingmaster is good advice.
Unless you want to build it up.
Then, 870 express is a viable option.

I pickup up an 870 express from a guy at work that needed some quick cash.
Replaced the furniture on it with a Knox stock and Hogue foregrip.
Then, I replaced the barrel with an 18.5" police model with night sights and a fixed modified choke.
A scatter gun technologies 2 round extension tube finished it off nicely.
All together ended up costing ~$700 and I couldn't be happier with it.

I say for bustin clays fun shooting
Used browning A5 (personally I like the 20. ga, so fun)

Don't get a stoeger semi auto, one of the worst guns I ever owned.

Bear in mind that some ranges wont let you shoot with an 18 inch barrel.

The Rem 870 is the way to go. My first firearms purchase was an 870 when I was 18. I still have it and still use it.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the info on the wingmaster at Gander Mountain, but I am looking for one with a 28in barrel I think.

Cheaper will be more than happy to sell you an 870 off there website for under $400 delivered to your FFL, probably out the door.

I bought a new 870 Express for well within your budget. I figured I'll worry about the plastic trigger guard if it ever breaks.

I also have two Nova's (12ga 18.5" and 20ga 24") that I bought off GB. Both sold for $300. The 12 was very lightly used and the 20 was unfired.

I am seeing more and more Beretta 1200FP shotguns on the rack as police trade ins. Lightweight, semi auto 6 plus 1 capacity and close to your budget, the last one I saw was $425 and in great condition. Just another option if you want a 12gauge semi auto......

heres what you should do:
<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Warning the following advice is golden</span></span>

1. go to a big box store
2. grab a shotgun off the rack (any one it doesn't matter)
3. pick a small point on the wall/ceiling/ at a distance preferably one over your head/ the heads of the people around you
4. align your body as if you were to get in the perfect firing position to shoot that point
5. close your eyes
6. bring up gun quickly and put it to the natural place in your shoulder/cheeck as if you were going to shoot
7. open your eyes
8. take note of what you saw (Were you looking right down the rib, could you see alot of rib as if the gun was pointed too high, could you not see the front sight because the rear of the receiver was too high, was the gun canted off to one side or the other? Was the muzzle pointed anywhere near the spot you were looking at?)
9. put shotgun down, and grab another one and repeat steps 1-8

10. buy shotgun where you were looking down the rib of the barrel cleanly and your sight picture lined up the closest to your target. This is 2 things, instinctive sight picture and natural point of aim. If you can put both of these things in your favor you drastically improve your odds of hitting things.

Shotguns are an instinctual, point and shoot weapon. The one that points the best for you will give you more hits on clay and feathers, and anything else you choose to shoot at. Is a Remington a better firearm than a Mossberg? You betcha, but if you can't hit shit with the Remmy why bother owning it? you can limit this trial to just pumps, over/unders or side by sides or whatever, but this gun fit will weigh more into your short and longer term success than any other factor, including brand, pricetag, fiber optic sights, mid-rib-beads, etc...

Keep an eye out for sales at the big box stores,870 express models in my neck of the woods are $269-289,check out pawn shops or better yet go to a police supply store some of them sell confiscated guns at very low prices ymmv

ive always preferred mossberg. its what i trained on in the navy and always seemed more robust to me not to mention the 870 safety is in the wrong place. that said, either should fit your need.