• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

need a answer or your thoughts

308mike

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
Burt, Iowa
ok so i am trying to work up a load for my 308 tac powder,168 seira bthp. for a 600 yd match at van meter iowa this weekend and i have found that jst because a powder charge is realy accurate at 300 does not mean it is the most accurate at 600? i have loaded some that did not groupe well at 100 or 300 that grouped better at 600 can this be?

Re: need a answer or your thoughts

1. It helps to have a chrony at your disposal to see ES.
2. Are you getting vertical or horizontal stringing at 300/600?
3. The 168 SMK is not necessarily the best projectile ever conceived.

Then you go on to say that you have loaded up some that shot poorly at 300 and well at 600. Do you have pictures of the targets? You are not giving enough info to properly diagnose the problem.

Josh

You'll be fine with a 168 and an accurate 300 yd load.

Show up and concentrate on your shooting. Write "AMMO" in large letters on the top of the box. Forget what is in it and pay attention to your execution and learning to read the wind.

Shot many a 600 yard match with thrown charges and 50 FPS ES and no problems attributed to the ammo. 600 yards is not long range.

i just found out to use photo bucket i will try to get some target pics on here. well here is a for instance, i did a ladder test on powder charge ever .3 grains from top to bottom of powder scale and found a grouping and picked a couple of charges in there and tried them(i did the test at 300) i found a charge of 43.1 grns of tac wound give me a consitant less than inch groupe at 300 so i took it to 600 and it gives me about a 6 inch groupe but a charge i had been using at 100 to 300 that only gives me moa groupes at 600 gives me around 2.5 inch groupes that charge is 42.5 graines. and yes i need a new crony. not workin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spare me the pics of your groups and focus on your shooting.</div></div>

yes!

was out shooting today and yes the wind is not my freind, it was frustrating 7 to 14 full value and it was giving me about a 8 to 12 inch drift spread how do you long range shooters deal best with that, the flag i use i could not tell the wind between 7 or 14 just tried to use how it felt on my face and waite for least wind

fs......first of all.................

complete you profile

then peruse this website whilst sitting on your hands

you know dick about what you are doing and you bust in here wanting answers to the most basic of skill sets .

maybe just maybe..............some one will take pity on you and take you under their wing and learn you something

it begins with a complete profile

Go 175 or 178 Grain. The BC disadvantage of the 165/168 sucks.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok so i am trying to work up a load for my 308 tac powder,168 seira bthp. for a 600 yd match at van meter iowa this weekend and i have found that jst because a powder charge is realy accurate at 300 does not mean it is the most accurate at 600? i have loaded some that did not groupe well at 100 or 300 that grouped better at 600 can this be? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fs......first of all.................

complete you profile

then peruse this website whilst sitting on your hands

you know dick about what you are doing and you bust in here wanting answers to the most basic of skill sets .

maybe just maybe..............some one will take pity on you and take you under their wing and learn you something

it begins with a complete profile </div></div>

Like you did with me, Scott. After calling me a troll first though!!

Hope you are well my friend.

N

FS , More likely than not the spread differences you are seeing @ 600 are driver induced errors. Develop a load that your rifle likes, not one that you like, shoot it at 1-300 and develop confidence in your equipment. Next go to 600 fire a few strings and see what you are doing wrong or right. If your results are less than stellar, break down the fundamentals and wind reading to see where things are going sideways.

ok thank you all for the help. even the neg. help, guess i will finish my profile. next, I shoot a lot not just a little a lot I am self employed and have a lot of free time, i shoot between 100 and 300 rounds if highpower a week thats not the 400 to 500 rounds of pistol and 200 to 300 rounds of rimfire, I shoot better at 300 than most do at 100 if I dont shoot under an inch at 300 I am not happy and you are right most days it is me not my rifle, but past 300 and out is new to me so I am lookin for answers, and i do realize that past a certain range your bad habbits explode. while i am not the best shooter out there I can hold my own, but the questions I have are not so basic to me or I would not ask them. and maybe I am expecting to much from my rifle. and again thank you all