• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Bi-pod with Solid Cant Lockout

Torchy

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2017
NV
Hey Guys,

So I have a Cadex in 300NM and it's heavy. About 18-20lbs with everything and I need a bi-pod that has a solid cant lockout. Damn near wish I could buy one that just doesn't even have cant. A one handed super solid cant lockout would be even better. The one I have on there can not properly lock out cant (GG&G and yes I know the one on there isn't rated for that weight but I also don't like their cant lockout mechanism. The rifle is too heavy). Should I look at Atlas or Thunderbeast? Who of those has a better lockout? Anyone else I should look at?

Requirements:

No panning
Quick throw/toolless cant lock out
Pic rail mount and QD
Black
Budget is I don't care

We all like pics right?

Last edited:
the newer G2 versions of the accu-tac bipids have levers instead of knobs, and they will rotate out of the way.

That’s the one.
Hmmm y’all think I could get by with the cal instead of the Scal? Scal looks big.

The cal will serve you well. I have one and love it. Run on several guns in the 15-18 lbs range without issue. My next one if I ever feel the need to get will be the Thunderbeast. Any of the options mentioned here would serve you well

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Elite iron will meet and exceed your criteria except for the QD mount. Otherwise haven't had hands on Cal, Scal, or thunderbeast yet. These would be the other possibles for your criteria, but can't give comment due to no hands on with them. Still waiting on order to be filled from thunderbeast, and will be placing order for a Cal soon. Otherwise had 5H and didn't like the width sizing off rail.

---edit--elite iron is sniper grey color, not black per your criteria, if it truly matters

Last edited:
Just for quick eyeballn’ this is an LMT Harris style vs AtlasCal. Scal possibly best stability just wider when folded if cased instead of bag.
8ACA32C7-9EBF-42E8-A112-9C929F95CD2D.jpeg
6D1ECC69-6084-4670-A745-7F18F0EB9A3D.jpeg
CD2A53A6-298E-4021-A2CB-E9A0BB5B290A.jpeg

9EBC211A-4649-44C8-9BD9-5237F27EE47B.jpeg

PSR, SCAL, LRA tactical. The lra is a solid choice also. It locks out cant completely. More do than the SCAL in my experience

Another vote for the Atlas SCAL. Hawk Hill Talons are also worth the added expense.

Probably not what you are looking for but Atlas 5H is awesome and the cant locks up tight easily but also has pan feature all of which add bulk and some potential movement.

Anyones take between Atlas CAL vs. Tier-One Evolution Tactical? Both similar price, both have 12" height version, both have quick release. Which one would you pick and why?

Atlas CAL based on personal experience with B&T Industries and excellent customer service.

Super cal is huge and works. The Cal is smaller but still works.

Attachments

• BC8FA9A7-2CD1-4B19-9644-154447BC8DE5.jpeg
    BC8FA9A7-2CD1-4B19-9644-154447BC8DE5.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 105
Why it gotta be black?......

Anyways....I run a CAL on a 25lb 300 PRC and it does just fine.

That’s got to be a pussy cat to shoot!

With an APA Lil' B on the front end....it's shockingly lacking in recoil. Also, not that much flex in the Atlas CAL when loading either...it hardly moves.

Years ago, I was told you 'could not buy a hit at 1000 yards'......I think now...they are wrong.

With an APA Lil' B on the front end....it's shockingly lacking in recoil. Also, not that much flex in the Atlas CAL when loading either...it hardly moves.

Years ago, I was told you 'could not buy a hit at 1000 yards'......I think now...they are wrong.

Lol
Did some numbers against my 17# 7 saum

17# 7mm 6.95fos/12.77 recoil/3.67 # sec
25# 300prc. 6.09fps/13.92 recoil/4.65 # sec
the 338 Norma I often shoot which isn’t bad at all to shoot.
15# 338NM. 11.2fps/29.24 recoil/5.22 # sec

1000 is also boring with my 7 saum.

I see people all the time at the range with their cant unlocked.....and when they pull the trigger it is so bad you can tell if they have a LH or RH twist....and of course they can't spot their own misses.

Elite Iron or Atlas 5H. You want something where the axis of rotation is at or below the barrel, otherwise you are fighting gravity. I have a TBAC and a CAL, and I can assure you they don’t lock up that tightly. They are great for what they are which is tactical shooting with PRS weight rifles, but not your application.

Reactions: Gil P.
I see people all the time at the range with their cant unlocked.....and when they pull the trigger it is so bad you can tell if they have a LH or RH twist....and of course they can't spot their own misses.
That’s one thing I’ve noticed about my elite iron, I can just put mild tension on the cant and I don’t get any barrel torque effects.
tried it on the 338, same results.
Not sure why but it’s been repeated regularly.

With your current setup, it looks to be rather unstable for a rifle that size. You have the rifle attached to a pivot point way above the apex of the bipod. On a big heavy long range heavy recoiling gun, that is going to be hard to get stable.

I'd suggest you think about giving up the quick detach option unless you have to have it, and go for something like one of the Elite Iron or something similar where the rifle hangs underneath the apex of the bipod triangle. That will give you a lot better stability.

Reactions: phlegethon
Okok thanks everyone for the help. I’m gonna go with the super cal.

Where can I find one in stock?

I run an LRA light tactical and an LRA ultralight scout bipod. Best money I ever spent on bipods. The ultralight is just slightly narrower than the light tactical, but my rifle bore centers are still within the leg triangle geometry. The cant locks on both are rock solid. I have no problem spotting my hits with either bipod.

I have a similar sized rifle with an LRA f-class bipod. Amazingly stable. More so than my TBAC bipod.

Do you know if their in stock?
Whenever I've ordered from B&T the item was shipped within the next few days, as I said they are the manufacturer of the Super CAL, but if you have doubts give them a call at (316) 721-3222 , or shoot Kasey a PM from here on the forum.

Whenever I've ordered from B&T the item was shipped within the next few days, as I said they are the manufacturer of the Super CAL, but if you have doubts give them a call at (316) 721-3222 , or shoot Kasey a PM from here on the forum.
Welp appreciate the help guys, I called and got the SCAL ordered this morning.

I may be wrong here but I don't think either CAL or SCAl are designed to fully lock the cant per say. I know that on both my Gen2 CAL and SCAL it doesn't matter how tight I set the Podloc by hand, If I really try to cant the rifle both still cant. Maybe with a wrench it will fully lock but I'm not about to try it since I like the fact that I can adjust by hand. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you try to lock it too tight you will strip the threads.

I may be wrong here but I don't think either CAL or SCAl are designed to fully lock the cant per say. I know that on both my Gen2 CAL and SCAL it doesn't matter how tight I set the Podloc by hand, If I really try to cant the rifle both still cant. Maybe with a wrench it will fully lock but I'm not about to try it since I like the fact that I can adjust by hand. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you try to lock it too tight you will strip the threads.
You are correct, and both have the axis of rotation well under the barrel. They are great for tactical applications but they are never going to be as stable as an F class bipod or the 5H/Elite Iron/Fortmeier types.

Reactions: Scotch_egg
Interesting, what do these cost? The web page is chaos.
Mine was €332, which ended up being about $400 including the Picatinny mount. It’s a great bipod, extremely stable, the only thing I will say is the cant locking is kind of nonlinear, either fairly loose or really tight. But even when it’s a bit loose it is more stable than most because gravity keeps it centered.

We'll alright now I'm gonna return it... ha jk. As long as it locks up pretty tight I should be fine. Exactly how I stripped out my GG&G. It uses a tension screw and it's a pretty small diameter. I can only hope the one on the scal is bigger diameter which should provide more tension.

View attachment 7234139

PSR, SCAL, LRA tactical. The lra is a solid choice also. It locks out cant completely. More do than the SCAL in my experience

The LRA is awesome. I got some ski feet on mine and it resides on my .300NM ELR rig.

Problem is, they are very difficult to find as they are currently not in production and ELR shooters and teams are buying every one that comes up for sale due to the new KO2M rules.

The new Atlas would be worth a look, and I've also heard rumors of MDT coming out with a heavy duty ELR Ckye-pod.

Seems like a good time to be in the bipod making industry.

At $400 a pop I may have to design my own.

the newer G2 versions of the accu-tac bipids have levers instead of knobs, and they will rotate out of the way.

Hi ,
I’m new here so forgive me for jumping in, but I can highly recommend the accu-Tac LR 10
I use it and find it performs flawlessly for me.
Regards TB1

Look at GG&G bipods.
They are all made in the USA, are very sturdy, and can be locked for cant, uneven terrain and legs locked angled.

I've chosen one from Column B. It isn't exactly what you asked for, but I think it's functionally acceptable.

UTG Recon Flex 8"-11.8" M-Lok Bipod.

or

UTG Recon Flex 5.7"-8" M-Lok Bipod.

It has no cant. It's both strong and rigid. You adjust the leg length to adjust cant.

It doesn't detach but mounts directly to M-Lok slots on the sides of the handguard. This means it's not going to get lost, yet it's still out of the way for shooting off a flat surface.

Rather than fumbling to reattach it, you simply redeploy the legs. It folds parallel to, and flush against, the handguard to stow, pointing either forward or rearward. It also allows 45 degree deployment, front or rear.

The short one weighs around 12oz, and the tall one around a pound.

There is no flex or slop, and it's very quick to operate.

The price, like all my recommendations, isn't going to break the bank. I chose this to try after reviewing LL's requirements for a tactical bipod, largely because of its wider, lower stance; with a mind to an economical approach to the requirements. It's not what LL calls for, but it covers enough of his bases to interest me.

71j-I3fRaDL._SL1500_.jpg

Mine's rather new. I'm testing it on a PA-10 308, which is also rather new. So far, no signs of weakness or loosening up.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: clcustom1911