• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a custom Arca rail made

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I’m looking for someone out there with a mill that can make me a custom Arca rail for a rifle. It will be 22.5” long, cut out of 1/2” thick steel bar, RRS spec dovetail, and 5 countersink holes drilled for attaching to a hand guard. I’m playing around with Fusion and got everything drawn up to my specs so I can send over drawings. If anyone is interested, please PM me and we can chat about specs, price, etc.

I’d like this done out of some sort of steel that has the least amount of flex. I’ll rely on you to tell me if it should be some sort of stainless, high carbon steel, etc. There is going to be a lot of weight on this part as well so that is something to keep in mind when thinking about steel choices. Thanks and let me know what you think.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.51.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.51.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this up. Any recommendations to any machine shops you guys have worked with in the past that might be able to help would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Any competent machine shop could do that but I doubt you would like the price.

Have you check out companies such as Protocase? I haven't worked with them, but I did see a video in which they built a custom computer enclosure for Linus of Linus Tech Tips. Although it seems like they focus on building electronic enclosures, you could give them a call to see if they can build that custom ARCA rail for you. I imagine it would be much easier than building an electronic enclosure.

Have you check out companies such as Protocase? I haven't worked with them, but I did see a video in which they built a custom computer enclosure for Linus of Linus Tech Tips. Although it seems like they focus on building electronic enclosures, you could give them a call to see if they can build that custom ARCA rail for you. I imagine it would be much easier than building an electronic enclosure.

Awesome, thanks. I'm emailing them now.

LivetohuntID makes custom rails ...check out his email on one of the posts

LivetohuntID makes custom rails ...check out his email on one of the posts

Nice find. Thanks.

You could always put it on Xometry and get bids, you may need to specify the material to get an accurate quote. Something like 416 or 17-4 stainless would be durable, probably want to go with prehard to hold tolerances. Although 6061 aluminum with type 3 anodizing would probably hold up just fine.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I've received quite a few quotes I'm sitting on right now. $150, $250, $350, (all 4140 PH) and Protocase came in at $1,660.99 (Carbon Steel) and $2,001.12 (Stainless) LOL.

I'm currently chatting with the guy that gave me the $150 quote. Not a terrible price but a lot cheaper that one of these...https://accuracysolutions.com/product/bipodext-elr-picatinny/

Maybe I can convince @MACHTECH and his buddies to buy a few for their Cadex chassis and get the cost down ;-)

Reactions: BAKPAKR