• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a decent lightweight hunting scope

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, I am putting together a lightweight build on a Savage and would like to know what scopes would go good with this build. Magnification and reticles don't matter, what does matter is that it is light weight, has decent elevation and turrets, and be around $500, anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Need a decent lightweight hunting scope

For my lightweight (6 lbs loaded) hunting rig I use a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33. 10 oz I think. I remember it was the lightest I could find that wasn't a 4x or 6x fixed. I'm happy with it, glass is much better than older VX-II's. they are available with the CDS turrets, so I'm sure they can be had with exposed target knobs if you called Leupold. I think mine was $329 or so before I used a coupon and Cabela's points.

Edit: I just looked it up and it has 75 MOA total elevation travel.

Here it is mounted in Talley lightweights, it's pretty low profile.

34688zl.jpg

Leupold VXR....they come in 3-9 and 4-12 with 40MM objective. I have the 4-12 with 1/4 MOA exposed turret. My only complaint is that the elevation turret does not have markings to tell what turn you are on. So if it turns in your scabbard or something you cant be sure whether it turned a half turn or 1.5 turns. The only thing this scope needs is a zero stop in my opinion.

Another vote for the Leupold VX2 Ultralight, either 2X7 or 3X9. The 3X9 model is available with EFR.

Anyone know the adjustment range for the 3x9 SWFA scope? I'm also looking at VX-3 scopes, they seem pretty light and a little better than the VX-2, anyone know the adjustment range on these? I'm looking specifically at the 3.5-10 and the 4.5-14 right now.

Check the Leupold website for that data. Another vote for the 3-9 ultralight..