• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Need a good 300 RUM formula

waveone

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
Texas
Hey guys,

Anyone have a good formula for the 300RUM Sendero?

This will be one of my new hunting rigs and I was wondering if there were any suggstions?

thanks for your time

Re: Need a good 300 RUM formula

Try R25 or Retumbo.
I settled on 95gr of R25 pushing a 190VLD at 3250fps out of my Sendero.

THanks man. So you use the VLD's for hunting?

I'm wondering how 180 corbon loads would do? I've shot them through my 300wm with good results.

The VLD is a killer fo sho.
I have no experience with lighter bullets in the RUM.

THat's what I like to hear.

Have you tried it on big animals like elk?

i was using 91 gr of RL-25 over a 180 gr. accubond with a case over all length of 3.680 was getting 3/4 moa out of a factory remington CDL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No elk, just deer and yotes. </div></div>

Hmmm, gotta be effective on elk and mulies.

Although I see no reason at that speed and that size of a projectile that wouldn't do the job.

In fact, 180's would probably go a couple hundred feet faster and retain more energy.

Any thoughts?

A little Googlin' on Berger bullets will tell the story. I doubt elk would be a problem. I have seen 2 mulies killed with the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">190 berger</span> 180 berger (7RUM) out to a bit over 300yds.

IMO, the RUM is best used with heavier 30cal projos. The 190 I am using is on the light side of the RUM spectrum but I wouldnt hesitate to plug an elk with it. Elk are killed stone dead with lesser cartridges every year.

And to add..."fast" and "retaining energy" do not go hand in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little Googlin' on Berger bullets will tell the story. I doubt elk would be a problem. I have seen 2 mulies killed with the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">190 berger</span> 180 berger (7RUM) out to a bit over 300yds.

IMO, the RUM is best used with heavier 30cal projos. The 190 I am using is on the light side of the RUM spectrum but I wouldnt hesitate to plug an elk with it. Elk are killed stone dead with lesser cartridges every year.

And to add..."fast" and "retaining energy" do not go hand in hand.

</div></div>

Well I quite agree. One individual I hunt with uses his early 70's model .264wm and is effective with it. Then there are those who swear by the .270 which can be an effective elk cartridge.

I prefer the cartridge to retain energy dow range b/c typically where I hunt at times I just get exhausted humping the hills in 8K-9K+ elevations. So taking a longer than ususal shot can be preferable.

Fast or more accurate flat shooting cartridge lends to greater accuracy-for me anyway. That is why I like the RUM set up.

My pet load, Rem brass, 9 1/2 M primer, 78.8gr AA 4350 behind a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Solid sub-half moa load and.was below max. Average muzzle velocity was right at 3080fps out of a 26" Rem 700.

I am currently hunting with 200gr SGK over 90gr H-1000 CCI large rifle mag primer and 3.6" COL in a Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker. It shoots .6 MOA and the muzzle blast is less than with powders like Retumbo(slower burn rate).
The spire point initiates expansion quicker than most HP's and the boattail and ogive give good bc's for downrange energy retention.

I run a 180 Nosler AB over 100.5 gr of Retumbo with a COAL of 3.82" out of my sendero. Shoots 3/4 MOA. Don't know how fast, never shot over a chrono but the deer never knew what hit them.