• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a good load for M1A 168 gr projectile?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    does anyone have a good semi auto load for the M1A I have a M-21 and have been using 44 gr of rl15 and a 168 some poeple here say that this could damage the rifle ??
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

Re: Need a good load for M1A 168 gr projectile?

I use 42.2gr of IMR4064 for the 175SMK <*> Edited to mention Remington brass <*>, and would suggest you try that as is before going any higher; and if you did go higher, don't go far.

Hotloads can be more accurate, and this one is decidedly warm and nearing a hotload; but long experience says genuine hotloads are never worth the throat wear. If you're not sure, look at the fired primers. If the edges are square sharp, rather than at least small rounded, it's a hotload.

Greg

175Mk, win case, win primer 41 grains H-4895. Scary consistant/accurate all the way out.

My load is a definitely supersonic 175SMK from an M1A/M14 load at 1000yd. Been known to shoot rather well from some bolt guns too. But it's not something you want to 'improve upon' by upping the charge.

Greg

I will start using the 41.5 gr of rl 15 and a 168 SMK, I want to start shooting 600 yd competition with it .

Another "standard" load though not quite as common is 41.5 of AA 2520 and the 168-gr in military brass. Meters so well I never weighed charges.