• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a good Rimfire Scope

Barney88PDC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
I did a search and didn't turn up anything useful.

I am fimiliar with good glass for Precision Rifle setups but really have no clue on rimfire optics. I have or had Leupold Mark 4, Premier, NightForce, S&B, Vortex ect so I am used to good glass.

What I want is something with parallex adjustment that can adjust down to a MINIMUM of 25 yards and closer would be better. Or if it does not have parallex adjustment it would have to have the parallex set fairly close like 50 not 100 yards. Have a fine reticle, we are taliking .22lr here so I do not want a heavy plex that is going to cover up the holes or target at say 25 yards. Adjustable turrets would be nice but is not an absolute requirement. Not too big or heavy, I am using this for just general plinking probably within 100 yards and possibly the occasional squirrel hunt so I do not want to slap a 5-25x56 or the like on it. Something my young daughter could use in a few years to break her into shooting. And finally something that has a decent reputation of not breaking although I realize everyone puts out a bad one now and again.

Price I am not too concerned with just give me some options. Not really looking to spend 2K but if it meets the requirements who knows. If something under $500 meets the above so much the better.

Last edited:
Mueller 8 X 32 X 44 Target. I have custom 10/22's with Volquartsen, Shaw, Fedderson and Kidd barrels and to say the least-they are very accurate rifles. I'm a member of a 10/22 site where getting a target rated requires one to hit at least 24 of 25 shots breaking a ring that is the diameter of a 22 cal bullet at 25 yards and the diameter of 2.5 22 cal bullets at 50 yards.

I'm proud to say I have rifles that I built up that qualified to be rated with these standards and I used the Mueller scope on all of my rifles. The awesome thing is that the scope goes for around 250 bucks. There are folks with 1500 bucks wrapped up in their 10/22 target rifles that use the Mueller.

The scopes are 30 mm tubes so it takes different rings but the field of view is awesome!!!

If you spend alittle extra on this scope you won't have to ever worry about upgrading.....

Last edited:
I also say the BSA Tactical 4-14 for what you are doing. I have one of my .22 and it returns to zero every time....I dial quite a bit.

Mueller 8-32x44 from 15 yards to 600 yards.
Target reticle with side focus/parallax.
Best bang for your buck.

vernier1.png

455VL-right.JPG

Last edited:
For target work I use a mueller 8.5-25x44 but for hunting I use a leupold 3.5-10x40 varix III with A/O which goes down to 25 yards. It's an excellent scope in the field and mine has been through hell and back! My only complaint is it doesn't have finger adjustable turrets but that can be had through the custom shop which mine will be going to for that!

My choices for Rimfire specific scopes are both Vortex:

PST 6-24x50 SFP
Viper 6.5-20x44 or x50 BDC or V-Plex Wide

Both have side parallax adjustment, but only to 50yds. Vortex may be able reset/adjust them at the factory. I've never checked as I don't see the point of shooting a higher end rimfire at less than 50yds, YMMV.

Also, the Mueller 8-32x44 is a VERY nice scope for the price. I have on on my Win 52D for quasi-benchrest work and ammo testing.

Last edited:
Happy with my Mueller 8-32x44. I have a QD mount and use it on all my .22's and even my AR.

Mueller 8 X 32 X 44 Target. I have custom 10/22's with Volquartsen, Shaw, Fedderson and Kidd barrels and to say the least-they are very accurate rifles. I'm a member of a 10/22 site where getting a target rated requires one to hit at least 24 of 25 shots breaking a ring that is the diameter of a 22 cal bullet at 25 yards and the diameter of 2.5 22 cal bullets at 50 yards.

I'm proud to say I have rifles that I built up that qualified to be rated with these standards and I used the Mueller scope on all of my rifles. The awesome thing is that the scope goes for around 250 bucks. There are folks with 1500 bucks wrapped up in their 10/22 target rifles that use the Mueller.

The scopes are 30 mm tubes so it takes different rings but the field of view is awesome!!!

If you spend alittle extra on this scope you won't have to ever worry about upgrading.....

I will second the big Mueller. I've had it 6 months and have it one my best 1022. Even at 32x and 100yrds, the glass is still very clear, bullet holes are very easy to see.

My 6x24x50 Vortex HS LR is crystal clear, but also $900 retail. (closeout demo was $509)

I'm going to get a second Mueller for my other 1022 bench gun.

I went on Muellers website and couldn't find out how much internal adjustment it had. Can someone find out and let us know please.

Looks like a good scope for target work.

I have a Nikko 10-50x56, actually it's my wifes scope. I use it sometimes for working up loads but my major gripe with it is it doesn't have enough turret travel in it for me to get a 100Y zero, this is with a 25 moa base. When the scope is bottomed out it hits a foot high.

Just took delivery of a Mueller 8-32x44 side focus target scope which will reside on my Savage-based custom 30BR FV250 rifle. The Amazon listing ships from Optics Planet and mine used the standard USPS shipping which took quite some time; I would suggest stepping up and paying for the faster shipping option. My understanding is that the Mueller and the similar BSA come from the same factory, but while I like the Mueller, I have not had stellar performance from BSA products in the past.

This Mueller scope is an improvement on my earlier goto scope, the Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target MilDot scope which I have used on rifles ranging from my 10/22 and Savage MKIIF, to my 30br and its earlier .260 incarnation as a 1000yd F Open rifle, up to my M70 .30-'06 Sporter. Never any problems and I own 3 of them, plus 2 more of their 2.5-10X42 brethren.

Both will focus down (at least) to 25yd.

Greg

Last edited:
probably a hundred scopes can be listed. if it's worth anything, her ya go to help filter out and narrow down:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ion/71572-thoughts-picking-scope-rimfire.html

IMO the best out there for the price is nikon buckmaster and / or the .223 / .308 , etc series, followed by redfield (both in the semi gucci brand name department). i think the redfields are the nicest "sleeper scopes" out there in finish and form. if not interested in being gucci, centerpoint 70.00 4-16 at walmart is quite a rimfire scope, for that matter, even on a centerfire. i prefer the older model turrets, the newer model is a bit to airsoft ninjaish for me, though i have one on a nitro piston airrifle, keeps good zero and such. no side focus though.

some hands on lower price scope stuff:

i've got a BSA mildot (midway special) on a .243, very impressed with it, i vowed i'd never buy another BSA, but this one i think comes from the same plant in china that the mueller does, just a different reticle, as i suspect the pentax gameseeker is also. body and functions are exact on the bsa and mueller, though the mueller has 1/8 adjustments. gameseeker appears to have the same body, turrets & reticle different. after looking through 2 mueller 8-32, i think the bsa is clearer, JMO. seems the other mueller models had (relatively) much better clarity than the target model.

the BSA target models (platinums) as far as 8-32's, i've returned time and time again, i wouldn't bother with them. not worth the time using the warranty on them. not a question of if, but when you'll have to use the warranty.

in contrast, 2cents on the BSA6-24 tactical mildot:
http://www.snipershide.com/[email protected]

the "other" B scope, barska. i've had a swat 6-24 on a .308 now for 5-6 years and around 800 rounds with no issues, usied in a bunch of differnt environments, along with plenty of range time. i like the new turrets, reminds of the older centerpoint turrets. i know i know, barfka. but as least this one seems to be working. another one that seemed to be clear at $65.00 is the target dot model. i put a barska target dot on a mkii for silhouette (constantly adjusting). only used it for 1 season and sold the rifle, but kept a good zero and adjustments for at least that season, don't know how it lasts in the longer term:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...14-barska-6-5-20x-50mm-target-dot-review.html

so 2 barskas used, no issues with either. also had a smaller model 3-9 compact on a AR with several thousand rounds through it, no issues. 3 barskas so far no issues with either. - yeah it's not a leopold, but they worked, not too barfy at all for the ones i've had / have.

another sleeper scope out there, very popular in europe & with air gunners is nikko stirling. everyone i've looked through is very impressive for the price, side by side with many others, they really should get more notice:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-stirling-targetmaster-6-24x-56mm-review.html

in this same "catagory", there is also hawke optics & sightmark, though for me both were a let down:

love the reticle and turrets, clarity on 2 different scopes seemed to lack for the prices listed on them
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-sidewinder-30-8-32x-56mm-review-problem.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...08731-sightmark-triple-duty-8-5-25x-50mm.html

oddly (and i'm ready to get flamed) no matter what firearm i've had, no matter mow much i've beat them, no matter what conditions or caliber ranging from .22lr to .444 marlin, to .300win, i've never had a tasco fail. either in adjustments or fogging, even dented and bent, these things just keep ticking & clicking.

Last edited:
I always will recommend the Weaver V16 or the V24, either is a great choice. I have recently purchased a PRIMARY ARMS 4/14 that I feel is another winner. If you are after an inexpensive tac type scope with side focus, mil/mil reticle and controlls and a ffp then at $230 you might want to give one of these a try. Glass was good but the controlls are a bit mushy but not horribly so. Passed the box test with flying colors. Have it on the CZ452SE and although it looks a bit large the HUGE elevation adjustment will be real handy when shooting the 22 out to 300 yds this summer. Have only shot it indoor this winter but am quite pleased thus far.

IMO the best out there for the price is nikon buckmaster and / or the .223 / .308 , etc series....

Agreed. I have a nikon buckmaster 6-18 mildot on my cz452 that I absolutely love. The only downside is the turrets are 1/8 moa, which can be a blessing and a curse. $300 from midwayusa. Very bright and crisp, especially at that price point.

yeah, 1/8" is nice at 50 Y, but getting out past 100Y it can be a PIA to be cranking that much. 1/4" gets you there quicker with less revolutions past 100, and you tend not to forget how many times you cranked that turret. this is where the more the repeatable the scope the better comes into place.

for bench shooting i love the 1/8", for everything else i love the 1/4". like you said a blessing and curse.

for that price, it's a no brainer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...us-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:
Take a look at the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 LR. This is an earlier version of the current VX3. The price of a new VX3 seems to be about $670.00 so a used VXIII should be in the $500. range. It has side focus parallax, a 30mm tube and 116" of vertical adjustment. They are about 12" long and weigh a little less than a pound. Decent glass, repeatable adjustments but no target knobs. With Burris Sig. rings, they are very easy to set up with 20 degree declination before adjustment which gives approximately 78" of usable vertical. I have one on a 52C Reissue and it is ideal. If you want a different reticule or turret I believe Leupold can do it. Mine is a duplex reticule sighted in at 50 yds. and I use the old method of dialing the power ring until the top of the heavy post gives you a correct holdover. They are a relatively compact and light scope that are well scaled to a .22.

Attachments

• P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 45
yeah, 1/8" is nice at 50 Y, but getting out past 100Y it can be a PIA to be cranking that much. 1/4" gets you there quicker with less revolutions past 100, and you tend not to forget how many times you cranked that turret. this is where the more the repeatable the scope the better comes into place.

for bench shooting i love the 1/8", for everything else i love the 1/4". like you said a blessing and curse.

for that price, it's a no brainer Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle

Top good statement, i have used the 6x18 buckmaster for 3 years on my MPR, has never let me down.
as far as 1/8 adj, down think about it, just use number on dial,
example set scope at zero after 50yrd sight in dail up to 7 or 8, should be on at 100yd, 8 or 9 more should be at 150yd, 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 more on at 200yd
works good for me that way to just think moa not click's
we run 4 stages at the match 50yd to 200yd, every month,
8 matches a year plus practics. thats a lot of twisting on knobs an still no problem yet

Top good statement, i have used the 6x18 buckmaster for 3 years on my MPR, has never let me down.
as far as 1/8 adj, down think about it, just use number on dial,
example set scope at zero after 50yrd sight in dail up to 7 or 8, should be on at 100yd, 8 or 9 more should be at 150yd, 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 more on at 200yd
works good for me that way to just think moa not click's
we run 4 stages at the match 50yd to 200yd, every month,
8 matches a year plus practics. thats a lot of twisting on knobs an still no problem yet

That's what I've done. I've thought about putting tiny colored stickers or small wax pencil marks on my knobs for different ranges. It's still mildly inconvenient to spin the knob so many times and occasionally feel lost in the turns.

Benito, yes i agree lot of up an down, going on with 1/8 clicks
i keep a data book with me showing how much up's and down's at what temp, time of year , an for each match,really comes in handy,
also made a zero stop out of PVC pipe cut down to size,also a must, when keeping up with were i am at.
my point was Top made a good statement about the buckmaster.
yes can be a pain in the ass turning that much, but when you think moa, an not how many click's much easier on my pea brain.
also shows just how good the cheaper nikon can stand alot of adj. an stay on a proven track,(as far as for me an 5 others that are useing the 6x18 buckmaster,)
are there better scopes hell yea!!! but hard to beat for $300.00

Thanks Nat for the commit

Last edited:
Another vote for the BSA midway special, I have four of them, I like the mil hash reticle, comes with a shade. I've dialed 24.5 mils to hit steel at 300 meters with CCI SV ammo. So far they have worked well and track well. I've been able to teach my 10 and 13 yr old nephews hold over/ hold unders, and dialing for distance. We have dope on the 10/22's I built for the out to 200 meters. :)

I tried a Vortex 4-16. The scope lacked the power for group shooting, the FFP reticle was too thick and the clarity was not there for something you are going to spend 10x time behind than your CF. I moved the VT to a PSS in 223 and put a Lupy 6.5 - 20 x 40 I picked up at a show cheap. I I sent it the scope back to Leupold for T1 turrets and an 1/8 min Tdot and mounted it.

For other scope ideas, look at the B&L series 4200 in the 6-24 and 8-32 and the Weaver V series 6-24. The only draw back with these last three are B&L changed these scope lines so the used market and they are not side focus because I feel you need an adjustable objective to get the clarity.

ETA: Need to the check the vertical adjustment on the last three scopes. The lupy LR has something around 92 but I'm not sure about the B&Ls and the Weavers.

Last edited:
Have been using Leupold 6.5-20 with target dot or the fine (target) crosshair on 22LR target rifles for a while now.

If your rifle seems to be reasonably accurate, consider some glass that will let you find out how well it can shoot.

Am preparing to put an NF 8-32 BR on my latest 22LR, when my 30mm rings (from Kelbly) are delivered.

Not convinced that 20x or 32x is necessary, but you won't need a spotting scope much.

Have been using Leupold 6.5-20 with target dot or the fine (target) crosshair on 22LR target rifles for a while now.

If your rifle seems to be reasonably accurate, consider some glass that will let you find out how well it can shoot.

Am preparing to put an NF 8-32 BR on my latest 22LR, when my 30mm rings (from Kelbly) are delivered.

True if you are benchresting.

But the OP said he was just gonna be plinking, 100 yards and under. He specifically said he didn't want 5-25x scopes.

For my 22rf setup, I'm trying to replicate my 1000 yard + guns, where yer not gonna be able to see bullet holes. That why I'm suggesting lower power scopes.

I have a Mueller 4.5-14 X 40 APT on my BTVLSS, great scope for the money and will focus down to less than 10 yards. I bought a used KonusPro K30 6.5-25 X44 but haven't got to try it yet, waiting on mounts.

I have a Redfield revulution 4-12 on a Savage rimfire, fixed parralax, been good but i could never get the eye piece focused just right for the kind of fun you can have with a rimfire. I just put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with AO from 10yds-up on a CZ 455. Scope was about $299 out the door. At that price with a AO down to 10yds, so far it seems to have better glass and reticle than other brands of tried.

I trade a lot of guns and scopes trying new things to find what I like. In the $200-$300 range i keep ending up with vortex lately. Diggen their features, quality, and supporting a company in the home state.

Had quite a few Nikons surprise me too. I think you would have to try harder nowdays to find a poor product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love this scope. It sits on my best 1022 and is all the scope it needs and more.

I'm using an SWFA 3-15x42 on my Kidd SuperGrade, I've had it for almost a year and am very happy with it.

9l3r.jpg

I use the Weaver V Series on my Rimfires. For a lower magnification scope I used to have (which I dearly miss) a Weaver Rimfire Special 3x9x32mm AO. Even my buddy that uses nothing but Leupold Scopes thought the Weaver was exceptionally clear. Unfortunately I sold the rifle it was on and the buyer insisted that the scope stay with the Rifle.

Currently I have a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO with Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle and a Weaver V-24 6x24x42mm AO with Weaver's Varminter Reticle (fine duplex with a dot in the center). I really like both of these scopes.

I have also used a couple of the Weaver Series 40/44 Riflescopes, 4x12x44mm AO with Weaver's Ballistic X Reticle, 6.5x20x44mm AO (one with Weaver's Varminter Reticle and one with Weaver's Dual X Reticle) with good results also.

Larry