• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Need a Gunsmith

lw8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
TN
I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a good gunsmith that works on Mauser actions.

Long story short, I have a Browning Safari bolt action 300 win mag from the 1960s. Back in the day, they were made by FN on Mauser actions.

The action and wood are decent but the barrel has pitting in the bore and needs to be replaced. Additionally, the wood needs some work (refinished, oil soaking around action, recut checkering).

So, I need a smith that can rebarrel, true up the action, reblue...and maybe someone to work the wood over.

I can get the wood done on its own if needed...but the smith will have to match the current barrel contour as the stock is already inletted for the current profile.

Any ideas?

Re: Need a Gunsmith

I have a smith I use here who specializes in mauser actions. He builds everything from complete restorations to custom muzzleloaders using the mauser action. Very reasonably priced too.

Re: Need a Gunsmith

Jim Kobe is very good. He did a custom 9.3X62 for me and is getting ready to do a 250-3000 custom mauser for me.
2mzz72o.jpg

jau9ma.jpg

96eozs.jpg

This is the 9.3X62 he did for me. Jim is a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. He is prompt and reasonable.
Butch