• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Jack Hammer

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
I'm digging out my crawl space 20'x20' and the stuff under there is hard clay and rocks. Looking for a Electric Demo Hammer but not sure what to get. Budget is 400.00, anyone have some ideas or info. Never used one so I need all the help I can get.

Bosch are not bad for the money; you can usually get those at Lowe's. Sometimes the tougher ones have to be ordered but a decent one should be right around the $400 mark . . . maybe a bit more. A used Hilti (can be found at Pawn Shops if you're lucky) might be in your price range as well.

If it's a one-time demo project, have considered just going to the equipment rental shop? You can rent something big ass efficient for the weekend and git er done.

you may want to rent a air compressor (185 cfm pull behind) and see if they have a clay spade for a hand chipper also.
a electric hammer is going to be pretty heavy and generally don't work very well,the hammer stroke is shorter compared to a air hammer.
or you could always go with a cordless clay spade. . . . also know as a pix, lol. happy digging

We demo'd a cinder block walled garage with a slab floor (24'x20') this past fall with jack hammer and it was more than up to the job. Had used Bosch in the past with good luck, but they had a new DeWalt with a magnesium housing and was a lot lighter than the Bosch and easier to use overall. I think it was around $60/day, the jack hammer kicked ass and was well worth the rental. Good luck, and be prepared to be sore. :)

+1
If it were me, I'd rent a decent electric for the day. In fact I've done just that on a couple occasions. That is unless you just want to own one.

A little update, I have to go down 54" and its going to take me a few Months to do this so a rental is out of the question as is air. Need to find a good one to buy that will last.

I have used DeWalt and Bosch Demo Hammers at work, and they are great machines, but they usually go for ~$800. Here is a link to a smaller one, but it is still $550 plus bits. You can look into used if you want, but realize that these tools are abused everyday.

You're not going to buy a decent new one with your current budget, and a used machine is a crapshoot to put it mildly, as BALLISTIC noted these tools get abused daily.

We use the air chisels with a compressor with great results all the time. I say go with a rental if its a one time deal.

If it floats, f#cks, flys, or hammers it cheaper to rent it LOL

you may want to rent a air compressor (185 cfm pull behind) and see if they have a clay spade for a hand chipper also.
a electric hammer is going to be pretty heavy and generally don't work very well,the hammer stroke is shorter compared to a air hammer.
or you could always go with a cordless clay spade. . . . also know as a pix, lol. happy digging

^^^^ have underpinned many a foundation and this is the way to go. You will fight the weight of an electric tool but the compact size of an air tool is your friend, let the air do the work.

Been looking on Amazon and the DeWalt 21# with the 4" clay spade is looking good, a little over budget but could save a lot of time. Will sell it when I'm done with it. Yes-No. Anymore ideas, and no I'm not using the hand held Pick, no room to swing it.

This All the way, you will be done in less than 1/2 the time of trying to use an electric hammer. The pneumatic hand chipper are the way to go for breaking up hard compacted soil.

I can't rent for 3-5 Months, that would bust the Bank. This is a one man(68) show and 52 yards of dirt and rocks to move. Once I can get to depth 54" of stuff and i'm hoping to be able to use the hammer to run down the sides and break it up then send it up my 30'x 8" conveyor to the tractor bucket. Should be one hell of a man cave. LOL Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:
I think you're asking a lot of an electric tool. Have you considered buying an air compressor (if you don't have one already) and then renting the pneumatic hammer? It may be worth the extra coin. I've tried to do similar things on a budget and always wind up going way over due to having to FINALLY get the right tool.

A little update, I have to go down 54" and its going to take me a few Months to do this so a rental is out of the question as is air. Need to find a good one to buy that will last.

this may be a really bad idea - time is not your friend for stability of the existing building/ foundation - better to do what it takes to move it along in a reasonable time table than to end up with problems to the existing structure - the preferred way to do a basement from a crawl is open the wall and drive a machine in - in your case a mini excavator would likely be the ideal tool

unless space to build is a big issue, it is much more time/ effort/ $$ efficient to start new space from the ground up

Last edited:
I plan to leave 4 feet from the wall till I get ready to finish, then leave 30" from inside face to inside wall and have a nice shelf to put stuff on. Can't go in with anything but me.

Last edited:
Many years ago i faced the same project. As the OP states the ground is as hard as a rock and needs to be physically removed from the basement.

Typically a contractor will lift the house off the foundation so skid steers(D3 cat) can drive under the house. Its a lot of work to remove even 58 yards of material and leave a partial basement.

At least you won't have to go to the fitness center after digging all day.

I had a buddy undertake a similar project a few years ago. His was not quite as ambitious as yours though lol. You've definitely got your work cut out for you.

He was also working with a limited budget. His solution was to purchase the largest electric rotary hammer harbor freight had in stock and getting the no questions asked warranty. I think he went through 4-5 of those pieces of s**t before he finished. Kinda funny when I think back on it. He was only a couple hundred deep in it though and it got the job done.

Don't discount used rotary hammers either. I picked up a large dewalt at a pawn shop about 7-8 years ago for an amazing deal (about 20% of retail) that has served me quite well. Good luck brother.

Regards

Matt

Laborers is the politically correct term. Get 4 of them and the compressor and 2 hammers. 2 to dig and 2 to move dirt. Make sure you have a place to put the dirt and an avenue of getting the dirt from under the house. 2 days done. Joke with them in your best Spanish, "if you're not done by tomorrow I might have burry you down here". It'll get done.

My DeWalt demo hammer arrived today and it is so nice, you and bury the 12" clay spade in about 8 sec. It is going to make the job so much nicer to do. I'm happy happy.

Good deal! Those are the same ones we use on site. Excellent tools that save tons of time and labor. Have fun!