• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Junior PRS Rimfire Rifle Recommendation

BoWingo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2019
I’ve recently started shooting PRS Rimfire with my Tikka T1x and was super excited to find out that my 8 year old daughter has picked up an interest after watching a couple of matches. To maximize her experience and to give her the best chance of being successful, I want to set her up with a properly fitting rifle. What would you guys recommend for a small for her age 8 year old as far as factory junior bolt action rimfire rifles or aftermarket stocks? Bonus if it has the ability to grow with her over time.

Attachments

• BFA35CBA-8F90-4E93-BA5F-3CD8B737952A.jpeg
    BFA35CBA-8F90-4E93-BA5F-3CD8B737952A.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The two big things you need to think about is getting her something with proper LOP and something she can move with SAFELY. If the rifle is to heavy for her she can’t move safely. The other thing I would think about is getting something that can grow with her. My boys both started when they were 9yo so we have gone though a lot of rifle modifications over the last several years as they have grown. There are a few stocks available with a 12.5” LOP. Boyd’s At One and the KRG Bravo come to mind. The other option for a stock/chassis would be a MDT LSS with an adjustable AR carbine stock which you can collapse down to around 10”. The LSS is also pretty light. For a rifle I would probably get a CZ457 Scout. It has a light short barrel that can be replaced easily. I don’t know how accurate the scout barrels are but the beauty of the 457 is that if she gets to the point that the rifle is holding her back there are a ton of aftermarket barrel options available in both lightweight and standard options. We had an aluminum Whistlepig barrel on on sons 457 for awhile and it shot pretty well. If it were me I would just bite the bullet and get her something nice from the start. Avoid the Ruger RPR and Savage MKii. If she doesn’t stick with it you will still have a nice rifle that you can easily configure for yourself. If she loves it and sticks with it you will have a nice rifle that can grow with her as her skills improve. One thing I have found is to never underestimate a youth shooter. My oldest son who is 12 now started out as a clean slate at 9yo. He almost always places in the top 10 in matches we shoot with 40-50 competitors.

Reactions: BoWingo
Thank you for your reply. It’s good to hear from someone who’s “been there.”

CZ in a Manners stock, trigger kit or drop in trigger. Fixed power scope (10X Super sniper with side focus). Get a Manners that you adjust the LOP. My son was maybe 9 when we started, but he was pretty tall so a CZ VPT worked for him. Scope keeps it simple with good eyebox. CZ and good ammo is a solid performer. I don't think that I've ever had a CZ455 mis-feed.

You can go more expensive on the actions. MDT has some shorted LOP stocks.

Anybody have a recommendation on where to locate one of these CZ 457 Scouts in stock?

I have a brand new Ruger RPR .22lr still on the box if that is something that interests you.