• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a lead on a torgue wrench for scope mounting

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Well, the title pretty much says it all.

Im looking for a good torgue wrench for mounting scopes(echo... echo...)

Need some recommendations. Preferably from people with experience with what there recommending.

Thanks in advance

Re: Need a lead on a torgue wrench or scope mounting

I picked up one of the Seekonk Dial indicator wrenches from Bauer Arms awhile back on a GB. Instead of buying a pair of the t-handle wrenches, I figured I would kill two birds with one stone. Overall, I'm happy with it, but will probably end up getting the t-handles for trips away from home.

The Wheeler FAT Wrench works good too, goes from 0-65 in lbs, I have had one for over a year and it works good.

No complates on my FAT wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold off my Seekonk and Craftsman for a SK 73008. It goes from 16 to 88 in-lbs.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/8905?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froog </div></div>

This looks interesting. How does it handle? Audible clicks, easy to read adjustments? What else can you tell me about it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it handle?</div></div>
Just fine. It has knurled sections on the handle for grip.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Audible clicks</div></div>
Yes, it's a click type driver. The driver 'breaks' when you hit the proper torque, and it makes a click sound.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">easy to read adjustments?</div></div>
Yes, no complaints.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What else can you tell me about it?</div></div>
What else do you want to know? It's a fairly simple tool that works quite well and feels well made. I don't regret selling off my other wrenches.

I got it because I thought that having two preset T wrenches was too inflexible and not a good use of my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I got it because I thought that having two preset T wrenches was too inflexible and not a good use of my money. </div></div>

Im with you on this. Im looking for something in a single, adjustable setup.

Anybody ever heard of a company called "Tohnichi." I read somewhere that they make a pretty good torgue wrench. Been trying to find a price somewhere but not luck.

I still use my Seekonk T handle for torqing the action, and ring bases, but for torqueing ring caps and rails I use a Seekonk MC200. http://www.seekonk.com/torqstart.html

I have been using this one in particular for about four years. No complaints. I leave it set @ 17 in/lbs.

Edited: It is a Torque Screwdriver preset slip type.

Re: Need a lead on a torgue wrench for scope mounting

Viav13,check out www.emaxaction.com They sell CDI torque wrenches,claim to be a division of Snap-on.I just bought model 751LDIN,is 1/4in drive and goes from 0 to 75in pounds.It cost me about $150,looks and feels like a quality tool. Pete

I use a FAT wrench here, works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't used any of the others, but the Wiha tools seems to work well.

http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/285vario_s.htm </div></div>

I just bought this tool 20-70 inlbs. I works great, and clicks/breaks at setting. Best price is Allspec Tools. $79 I think. It comes with a 4mm microbit adapter (4mm). Get the 1/4 square drive adapter and 1/4" bit adapter. All delivered to my door for around $92. I comes with an adjustment tool and calibration cert. Very robust tool.

wow. i really think id choose the FAT or the craftsman. unless i was installing scopes all day for money, i just could not see spending the kind of money some of these wrenches cost. period. $200 for a inch pound wrench? even $100. have we lost our minds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spare CDI and a MATCO torque wrench. If interested. </div></div>

What are the specs(lb range)? What models are they?

Im more interested in the CDI, but can u PM me prices for each one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spare CDI and a MATCO torque wrench. If interested. </div></div>

What are the specs(lb range)? What models are they?

Im more interested in the CDI, but can u PM me prices for each one? </div></div>
I cant remember, let me look.

I have and use either CDI or a Precision Instruments dial type torque wrench. The CDI reads from 0-30 inch pounds in 1 inch pounds increments. The Precision Instruments also reads to 30 but in 1/2 in.lbs. Both have a memory pointer. Both have a 1/4 in. drive shaft. Both are expensive but fine qualitly tools.

I also have a CDI adjustable click wrench.

In my limited experience I prefer the dial type because it gives you a direct readout. No guessing. With a click type you have to careful about hand placement. Did I slighty over pull it? With a dial you just pull it and read the measurement.

Their expensive, buy once ,cry once. My .02 worth.

Walt K

The CDI is 0-150 in/lbs no dial just like a regular torque wrench
Tha Matco is 0-250 in/lbs w/dial

Sending PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold off my Seekonk and Craftsman for a SK 73008. It goes from 16 to 88 in-lbs.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/8905?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froog </div></div>
+1 on the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SK 73008</span></span>. As <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rijndael</span></span> stated the SK 73008 has a torque-setting range of 16-88 in/lbs. so you can torque everything from mounts and rings to actions.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Heavy-duty body is anodized and built for industrial applications:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriveraccess.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The driver accepts 1/4" drive bits:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverHexSoc.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The torque setting is adjusted by turning a hex in the end of the handle with the supplied allen wrench:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverTorque.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
The dial is marked in 4-pound increments, so if you want something in-between you have to eyeball it:</span>
SKDialCloseup.jpg

Keith

I got a K-D tools and a CDI, both 1\4" drive from that auction site people don't like to talk about. They were less than half price of brand new, and they look new. Might try a search over there.

The 2 brands I mentioned are also available in different dial readings. That is, a greater range. Ex. 0-75, 0-125, in. lbs. You would have to visit their website for more info.

But once again, direct readout, what you see is what you have.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Ive been doing a lot of processing on this matter.

Lots of good choices out there.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/8905?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froog </div></div>Looks like a good unit, but why does the link add say "Made in the USA" and "origin - USA" when is is plainly printed on the unit "Made in France"?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mvm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold off my Seekonk and Craftsman for a SK 73008. It goes from 16 to 88 in-lbs.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/8905?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froog </div></div>Looks like a good unit, but why does the link add say "Made in the USA" and "origin - USA" when is is plainly printed on the unit "Made in France"?
confused.gif
</div></div>
Thats' an excellent question. Maybe the tiny men inside the torquedriver who check the torque were all conceived in the U.S.?

Keith

You can pick one up from Napa in inch lbs. Its a ratchet type set up rather than screw driver handle. I have one for my dirt bike carburetor. Works great for for rails and rings also.