• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Need a Lexus GX470 expert

J.J.chago

Merkin Mafia
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2017
Pound town, Tennessee
Just acquired an 2008 gx470 from an older couple who were very good with maintenance and PM’s. It has 190,000 but it’s gonna be my hunting rig even though it’s in good shape. First few days were flawless two days ago air bags didn’t work. I already ordered an airbag delete kit and new 5100’s so no big deal, yesterday check engine light and a few others are on, I check codes and it’s the air injection pump code. I clear the codes they come back upon starting….. a few times. Today start it up, no codes and magically the air bags work…. They had receipts of getting both air bags and air injection pumps work on. I’m thinking there is an electrical issue somewhere but don’t know where to start on this one. And I’m not to confident with my local Toyota dealership… on the phone they told me they didn’t have any Lexus parts because the Lexus dealership is less than 100 miles away

Reactions: Kamerad
First, check to make sure no powered aftermarket stuff was ever added to the vehicle- if you find something that's where I'd start investigating.

I have an 05 GX with 199,xxx. My first thought was the switch on the shifter console for raising/lowering might be getting worn, and causing intermittent issues. Not sure that would cause a code, though. Electrical connections at the components all solid and secure? Corrosion?

I had a similar type of intermittent issue with a starter on a Jeep bacause the weatherproofing gasket partially rolled inside the connecter and didn’t click together securely. Any time it rained, issues with no start.
Any correlation with weather?

On the 5.7L engines those air injection pumps were prone to failure. So much so that their was a delete kit with block off plates sold in the aftermarket. Not sure if the 4.7L engine is the same, but once they failed it was like a $2k repair and the truck becomes inoperable. Hopefully that's not your issue and it's something else that's a lot cheaper to fix.

• Wow
Rats love wire insulation so I would check for damage there

Bad ground and/or weak relay.

Doesn't take a science rocketist to know when it's intermittent like you're describing.
There's a fuse/relay panel under the hood (possibly 2 depending on options), 1 in the drivers side under dash area, 1 in the passenger kick panel.....
Swap around relay's that have the same part # taking down notes as to which originally went where.....tape and marker on relay helps.

My money is on "main circuit opening relay".

Y'all dumbasses shouldn't be using delete kits unless you understand more about how the systems work on a very well engineered vehicle like a lexus.

And check with lexus for the maintenance history. Especially timing belts and water pump replaced every 100 K miles. It's a lot cheaper to replace the belts and water pump than the motor after one of those fails and internal parts start meshing together.
Interference motors are great!!

My 07 GX460 developed a weak relay issue at 160k miles, 10 years old, related to air bag control. took dealership a while to figure out, initially tried to sell me replacement of entire air bag system....

Reactions: BCP
Bad ground and/or weak relay.

Doesn't take a science rocketist to know when it's intermittent like you're describing.
There's a fuse/relay panel under the hood (possibly 2 depending on options), 1 in the drivers side under dash area, 1 in the passenger kick panel.....
Swap around relay's that have the same part # taking down notes as to which originally went where.....tape and marker on relay helps.

My money is on "main circuit opening relay".

Y'all dumbasses shouldn't be using delete kits unless you understand more about how the systems work on a very well engineered vehicle like a lexus.
I didn’t know if there was a weak point in the system that others had fail, like a wire harness or connector prone to corrosion.

My 07 GX460 developed a weak relay issue at 160k miles, 10 years old, related to air bag control. took dealership a while to figure out, initially tried to sell me replacement of entire air bag system....
Yeah I’m gonna delete it all together. Every air ride system I know of causes problems.

And I’m not to confident with my local Toyota dealership… on the phone they told me they didn’t have any Lexus parts because the Lexus dealership is less than 100 miles away

The GX470 shares an engine with the LX470. The LX470 is the same thing as a Land Cruiser.

Your dealer is either stupid or stupid if they told you they don’t have Lexus parts. They all come in Toyota boxes.

No one has asked about using a Lex as your “hunting rig”? Wtf is the hide coming to? And wtf are you hunting? Old white chicks?
IMG_0352.jpeg

The GX470 shares an engine with the LX470. The LX470 is the same thing as a Land Cruiser.

Your dealer is either stupid or stupid if they told you they don’t have Lexus parts. They all come in Toyota boxes.
That’s not what that means. Dealers have a service area as part of the privelege to sell and service a brand. As noted, if the Lexus dealer is within a specified proximity, then the Toyota dealer defers to the Lexus location. Sounds like it’s 100 miles.

There are Lexus parts that Toyotas don’t have, more than just cosmetics. The GX does not have a Toyota analogue in the US, so the LX example is irrelevant.

Yeah I’m gonna delete it all together. Every air ride system I know of causes problems.
So you'll spend money to break parts that will cost you more money.

Got it.

And yea, that is exactly what will happen, you just don't know it yet, but you will.

No one has asked about using a Lex as your “hunting rig”? Wtf is the hide coming to? And wtf are you hunting? Old white chicks?
View attachment 8408438
While it does sound counterintuitive, some Lexus models were built on the Toyota Land Cruiser platform so are are essentially a nicely appointed Land Cruiser. They are very capable off-road and, in recent years, have grown in popularity as a platform for building off-road / “overland” rigs. There are quite a lot of suspension, drivetrain, and other aftermarket parts available to build them into a pretty solid rig.

8FC50922-9476-4CCA-914F-0B4857082D0D.jpeg

6BD51DB4-9B70-4114-B019-D4B886D90DF4.jpeg

Got it.

And yea, that is exactly what will happen, you just don't know it yet, but you will.
Those airbags and associated parts will all fail 5 times over before coil springs and standard shocks do. The cost of a delete kit, coil springs and shocks are nothing compared to the cost of replacement and repair of that air and comfort ride system. One of those electronic shocks are about $800. Basically just shy of the cost of a delete kit and some standard shocks all around.

Go back to buying your OEM branded windshield wipers.

Got it.

Yeah, coils and shocks are so much more unreliable than air bags and shocks.

As usual you're ignorant to what you're talking about.

I deleted the air shocks and compressor in my Denali. Same thing, $500 in parts for junkyard springs and new shocks, or $3k for new air shocks that were going to rot and fail again. Big surprise, the coils are still working with 3x the mileage of the failed air ride.

While it does sound counterintuitive, some Lexus models were built on the Toyota Land Cruiser platform so are are essentially a nicely appointed Land Cruiser. They are very capable off-road and, in recent years, have grown in popularity as a platform for building off-road / “overland” rigs. There are quite a lot of suspension, drivetrain, and other aftermarket parts available to build them into a pretty solid rig.

View attachment 8408486

View attachment 8408488
SSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Don’t tell people that, let them keep buying Yukons and leave the LC Prados to the rest of us.

Off the top of my head the air injection system is under the hood, either behind the engine or under the intake manifold and it has two sets of flappers one of which gets sticky and doesn't work. It could also be a bad switch or wiring or corroded fuse.

I too have been thinking a lot about a GX470, could probably get the same use out a honda pilot or cr-v but the GX is a lot burlier.

I too have been thinking a lot about a GX470, could probably get the same use out a honda pilot or cr-v but the GX is a lot burlier.

Not anymore . Once COVID hit and over landing went main stream these trucks doubled. In 2018 you couldn’t get $9k for a 140k Gx. Same truck today is $14+ if it’s not a pile of shit.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Must be a Tennessee thing. You call a luxury SUV a “hunting rig” or worse yet, a “truck” west of the Mississippi and you will get laughed straight out of town. No matter what chassis it’s built on.

If you own a LandCruiser (or a Lexus another market called a LandCruiser), you need to be on Ih8mud.

That site will be infinitely more useful than this one for these questions.

If you're mechanically inclined, get a subscription to alldatadyi. It will give you troubleshooting steps and all the wiring information you need.

Reactions: J.J.chago
Must be a Tennessee thing. You call a luxury SUV a “hunting rig” or worse yet, a “truck” west of the Mississippi and you will get laughed straight out of town. No matter what chassis it’s built on.
We went to a rodeo the other weekend after a big rain. Parking was in a field. I'll be damned if there wasn't stuck 3/4 ton american made trucks, all manner of yotas, and American made SUVs. My kid looked at me and said what ya going to do dad. I looked over at him and turned traction control off. I said roll down your window and holler at these people as we drive by . I was glad I had left the beaten up triple locked fzj80 at home , the 3/4 ton ford with spool in front and selectable rear sidelined, the tundra safely in the garage. Not even fitting for the sxs.

After dumping the clutch the car lurched from the pavement in to the muddy grass. As we slalomed through the mud In 3rd gear approaching 5krpm my kid hollered out to the plebeians eeeeeeeehhhhhhh! Those poor drivers we thought laughing. After getting to the farthest parking area unstuck we decided what better to do........... Than to do it again. So we did. The security of AWD.

Some folks need to get of there high horses and learn to drive.

Reactions: clcustom1911
That cascade snow is a bitch though

Yeah, coils and shocks are so much more unreliable than air bags and shocks.

As usual you're ignorant to what you're talking about.

I deleted the air shocks and compressor in my Denali. Same thing, $500 in parts for junkyard springs and new shocks, or $3k for new air shocks that were going to rot and fail again. Big surprise, the coils are still working with 3x the mileage of the failed air ride.
Well I'm not talking about shocks you simpleton.

What did the thread start out with....don't you need to go back and look ?
Read it 5-6 times so something might settle in to your insignifi-cunt little brain.

You have not a speck of linear thought traveling between your ears do you ?

Figures your idiot ass would have a Denali.....perfect vehicle for you.
Heh, dumbass.

Find EVERY grounding point. Remove the ground, clean, wire brush, grease up with dielectric grease and reattach. Then spray that shit with some bedliner. This will not likely be much fun.

As for the relays, buy a couple new ones. They are not expensive for a guy that can afford to hunt with a Lexus. I keep a couple in the oh shit box. You can start with that air bag system. However...Mopar uses a canbus system and something completely unrelated can cause a problem. I am not sure about the modern Toyotas. I had a 1969 and a 1973 FJ40 and do regret getting rid of them.

I have had to chase electrical problems by mounting a multimeter between the battery and the system, removing fuses and relays and waiting for all the systems checks as it shuts down and powers up. That's like 5-10 minutes each time and it seems like an hour each time after you're 5 fuses in. I am not sure what the system off draw on a Lexus should be...and I am not saying that is what you should be doing, but faulty logic boards and circuit boards can be found by doing this. In my case, I had a 2 amp draw draining the batteries with the ignition off and everything else turned off. It was the fucking map lights in the rearview mirror that Mopar wanted something like $450 for when it should have been warranted.

We went to a rodeo the other weekend after a big rain. Parking was in a field. I'll be damned if there wasn't stuck 3/4 ton american made trucks, all manner of yotas, and American made SUVs. My kid looked at me and said what ya going to do dad. I looked over at him and turned traction control off. I said roll down your window and holler at these people as we drive by . I was glad I had left the beaten up triple locked fzj80 at home , the 3/4 ton ford with spool in front and selectable rear sidelined, the tundra safely in the garage. Not even fitting for the sxs.

After dumping the clutch the car lurched from the pavement in to the muddy grass. As we slalomed through the mud In 3rd gear approaching 5krpm my kid hollered out to the plebeians eeeeeeeehhhhhhh! Those poor drivers we thought laughing. After getting to the farthest parking area unstuck we decided what better to do........... Than to do it again. So we did. The security of AWD.

Some folks need to get of there high horses and learn to drive.
Cool story, Bro!

• Haha
Reactions: Russell J and BCP
Well I'm not talking about shocks you simpleton.

What did the thread start out with....don't you need to go back and look ?
Read it 5-6 times so something might settle in to your insignifi-cunt little brain.

You have not a speck of linear thought traveling between your ears do you ?

Figures your idiot ass would have a Denali.....perfect vehicle for you.
Heh, dumbass.

Did you forget to read your own post? You quoted him on air ride.

You're missing a few crayons from the box, so we ignore you most times.

View attachment 8408438

i mean, i DD a one ton SRW Ram, i have a 2001 half ton with 4.56s, built transmission, and lockers front and rear , and i still say my wife's GX460 with all the 4x4 and lockers and hill descent features is the most capable offroad vehicle we own.

as it sits? ground clearance is an issue and tires are highway but as shown above, those things will flat get it.

Who's this "we" you speak of ?
Have you named the dildo in your pocket ? Again ?

I keep my Dildo in the prison wallet where it's safe. Don't need you grabbing it when I'm not looking.