• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a little health/moving advice

tomcatmv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
Central Texas
As I've stated on a couple other threads, I am planning on retiring soon, hopefully the end of September or so and moving with the wifey to Belton, TX. Well we were planning on selling our house here in Maple valley WA next month but I just got a big curve ball thrown at me. About a month ago I got diagnosed with carotid artery blockage and just today met with the vascular surgeon I was referred to and have surgery scheduled on 9/18. I still want to sell our house and move, obviously have to wait a bit to make sure I'm not going to stroke out after some recovery. Anybody have experience with this surgery? Also was planning on shipping most of our stuff to TX via Pods our some such service but was planning on towing about a 5'x8' enclosed trailer with all my guns and ammo and some small other personal stuff. Anyhow, might not be making the trip until late October or early November and the wife is concerned about snow/weather so I'm thinking we could always just have our rig shipped down but I don't know what to do with guns and ammo. I'm talking about 15 long guns and 10 pistols and about a small closet full of ammo cans. I do have most of my family that would gladly accept shipment in my name so I was thinking about building a couple of crates and shipping them. But by who? Bad idea? Could also find an FFL to accept shipment I suppose.

Surgery is easy by all accounts I have heard. My grams had both done. She was meaner and tougher than most though.

Should be good 4-6 weeks after to drive.

Dunno about the rest.

Shoot us your first name and my house will be happy to pray for you.

Reactions: jungle45
It would be my luck a shipper would screw that one up and that's a lot to lose, insuring it would be a lot. You don't have a safe? I'm guessing you could wrap 'em and pack 'em in the safe and load that in the truck first. Then all the stuff in on top of it. If you don't have a safe, getting a basic one would probably be on par with shipping 'em. Safe Warehouse or something like that (Puyallup maybe? I forget) is like a Costco for safes and they have used and scratch and dent and you can get an awesome deal that way. I know most don't look to buy a safe PRIOR to moving though, just a thought.

I don't know about the law and moving companies and firearms. I'm sure someone does. I'm guessing NFA would complicate that with regards to transfers if so, if you have anything like that.

Just make sure you recover first and I'm pulling for you. My mom had to have some kind of surgery similar to that recently (couple months ago?) and she's on vacation in CO right now and they drove there. But she did have to take it easy and rest during that time and not get worked up or stress.

I have to move soon and that was one of the areas I was looking at, it's beautiful there. Probably can't pull the trigger until next spring though and I can't afford much WA real estate anyway. I wish you all the luck though. TX is gonna be a massive change for you.

Reactions: oneshot86
Small world. I too am in MV; hole 17 of the Lake Wilderness golf course.

Moving to Virginia in October.
Moved from Phoenix, AZ last December.

As for your move and snow concerns, just hop on I-5 south to I-10 east. Take a week to make the drive, nice and easy, great weather that time of year, but certainly a boring drive.

As for your surgery: is it possible to push the surgery off until you move to Texas? I'd be concerned about keeping the same doctor during each and every follow up visit over the coming year.

Reactions: oneshot86
Small world. I too am in MV; hole 17 of the Lake Wilderness golf course.

Moving to Virginia in October.
Moved from Phoenix, AZ last December.

As for your move and snow concerns, just hop on I-5 south to I-10 east. Take a week to make the drive, nice and easy, great weather that time of year, but certainly a boring drive.

As for your surgery: is it possible to push the surgery off until you move to Texas? I'd be concerned about keeping the same doctor during each and every follow up visit over the coming year.

great point about follow up dr visits

place all firearms PADDED in a safe....ammo also, lock it and move it like a refrigerator.

my aged mother had that surgery... you'll do fine.....

Just thought I'd update. Had my surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday so all went very well. May need to get the left side done but won't know for another month. If so, we'll likely delay moving until after, so maybe in February. Thanks guys for all the advice. Probably will take the I-5, I-10 route that time of year and just tow a trailer with all the goodies in it.

Reactions: Bender
Just thought I'd update. Had my surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday so all went very well. May need to get the left side done but won't know for another month. If so, we'll likely delay moving until after, so maybe in February. Thanks guys for all the advice. Probably will take the I-5, I-10 route that time of year and just tow a trailer with all the goodies in it.
Congrats!!! Hang in there! Glad you are doing good!

I would not worry about snow it will be cold with a (slight breeze) probably only around 25 or 30 in far west Texas. Once you get past Kent you should be fine

Uhaul trailers or any moving truck parked at hotels along the interstate are thief magnets.

Yeah dirty, I hear that. Probably going to buy a small trailer so it will be un-marked which may help. Also going to rig up some sort of alarm for the door. We're also going to plan our trip out and make reservations ahead of time and try to stay at more "up-scale" places for what that's worth.