• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a little help gentlemen.

MacMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
USA
All of my bolt action rifle shooting has been with a .308 and I want to go bigger.I Am considering selling one of my NFA toys to fund a new build and I Am not sure what direction to go for shooting at greater distances in excess of 1000 yards.What would you recommend with an approx $8,000.00 dollar budget to include barreled action,chassis,glass and needed accessories (bipod,etc..).The calibers I have been looking are the .375/408 and the .338 Lapua.But I Am open to other calibers as well.
Thanks for your input.

Re: Need a little help gentlemen.

How much in excess of 1000 yards? Unless you go beyond 1 mile a 338LM is going to keep you PRACTICING. A 375/408 is by far superior at ultra long range but ammo costs are high and how much experience do you have beyond 308 range?

If you aren't used to shooting at 1000 or still really need to work on unknown distance shooting a 338LM will do all you need and still offer good barrel life and "reasonable" ammo costs provided you reload.

A 375/408 is on top of the pile. Awesome extreme range performance-question is are you up for it?

It doesn't take long to burn through 8K. Choose wisely.

Excellent points Lt.Arclight,in that case I will be honest with myself and decide that the .338 Lapua is "big" enough for me and should keep me busy for quite some time!I still feel I have alot more to learn and need more time spent shooting at 1,000+ yards.What is recommended in the .338 Lapua department?
Thanks again!

An economical option would be to move up to .300WM - it'll take you a bit past 1000 yards and is much cheaper to shoot than .338LM. But as has been mentioned above, .338LM will keep you busy to a mile and you can spend some time getting the most out of it before considering a move up to a .375/408.

You could do one hell of a 7(WSM,SAUM,RM) for $8,000 and it will get you out well past 1K. Just a thought.

Agree with Lt. Arclight that if you UPPER border is around 1 mile, then the 338LM is the way to go. If you are just going to "harrass" targets around 1000-1400 yards, then the 300 WM may not be a bad idea like Dogtown suggested. Cheaper to shoot. I have stretched my 300 WM out to 1550 yards. Just a thought.

I like the super 7 idea personally. Recoil is much lower, loading costs are lower, brass is cheaper, etc.

A 7 WSM, 7/300 WSM, 7 SAUM will all get you rocking to 1500y or more. There's a member on here with a 7 SAUM running to a mile with very small groups.

Just a warning, 7 SAUM has been rumored to be dropped by Remington so brass will be harder to get ahold of. A 280 AI has the same capacity as a 7 SAUM and brass is super easy to find/form.

180 Bergers cost about $0.42 each, what's a 338 pill like the 300 SMK cost and what will the 300 Bergers run when they come out?

I also concur with Lt.Arc.....

I have both .338LM and .375/408. I <span style="font-weight: bold">do</span> shoot the .338 more often, simply because shooting the .375 at less than 1500 yards is a bit of a waste of it's potential, and I am hard pressed to find ranges beyond 1500-1600 yards in the Midwest, even when I visit Camp Atterbury in Indiana. Unless you live out West, it's difficult to find anyplace to shoot that far.

With the new .338 bullets from Berger to be out soon, you can easily get to 1500-1600 yards with it, and will cost less to feed.

I also have a 7mm WSM, but haven't played with it yet, so can't compare how it will do in more difficult conditions at 1200 yards plus compared to the .338's.

If you do decide to go .338, take a look at the Norma Mag also. You can be very close to the Lapua in velocity, with very impressive accuracy.

If you want to have the best of both worlds, look at the Desert Tactical Arms SRS. You could get a .338 and have a .300 WM or 7mm WSM barrel and bolt to go with it.

So many choices....... Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

300 Hulk takes the best of both.
Heavy 30 cal bullets in a 338 case.
I did video of 338 shooting over 2400 yards last year.
Either can be done under budget, depending on stock and scope.

Pm if you have more questions.

Thanks for all of your help guys!You have some great ideas and have given me plenty of info,so I will do some home work and will let you know what direction I go with this build.
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TCA4570
I did video of 338 shooting over 2400 yards last year.</div></div>

Link please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 Hulk takes the best of both.
Heavy 30 cal bullets in a 338 case.</div></div>

Is that the shortened .338 round that Tom Sarver developed?Like to read more about it.Could you PM me a link or some info>
Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">I did video of 338 shooting over 2400 yards last year.</span>

</div></div>

Are we talking about the "regular" 338LM? If so, how fast are you driving that thing? At 2400 yards? Mine begins to run out of steam already at 1900 yards. If you have a link would like to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">I did video of 338 shooting over 2400 yards last year.</span>

</div></div>

Are we talking about the "regular" 338LM? If so, how fast are you driving that thing? At 2400 yards? Mine begins to run out of steam already at 1900 yards. If you have a link would like to see it. </div></div>

I think he was talking about the .300 Hulk,.338 necked down to .30 cal.

$2000 for a .338 savage and $6000 worth of ammo and practice

I think I would start with a custom action and go the 338LM route. I have a 300 WinMag and really like it. But my body, especially my eyes limit how far I can shoot. Even using decent glass. That's why the past few years my range trips are to the shorter ranges. Right now 600 yards is about my limit. I'm being tested for glaucoma next week. But I've done some decent shooting in the past. I can't cry over spilled milk.

Bottom line is, it's your money and you're going to have to live with the results. Read up on everything and make an informed decision. You are the only person that knows your limitations. I hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Good luck.

I got my first custom rifle in January. Gap 7wsm base rife with some up grades 3800.00 put a Nightforce nsx on it, 1700.00 Its pretty cheap to shoot. No kick. 62 gr 4831sc 2975fps shooting Berger 180's Run those numbers. Had it out too 1620 yards last weekend. Works for me. Good luck

I would go with the 338 edge its cheaper. Shawn carlock at defensive edge can hook you up