• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a little help

jeremybowlin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
EL Dorado,KS,67042
Hey guys i have been loading for only a few years now. I have ran into a problem. Im loading for a 22-250 ackley using 64gr bergers. I anneal all my case to make sure i have the same seating pressure. Well i noticed on a lot of them tonight if i push pretty hard on the bullet i can push it in. Im using hornady FL dies. I have the die set up right and all that. I had the same issue with the 7mm rem mag. I ended up sanding the expander ball down and that took care of the 7mm. i took the expander ball out and just sized the neck down and same issue. It was a little tighter but not by much. I went ahead and spent the money and ordered type s bushing dies for both. I got several different bushing dies for both as well. Will this take care of my issue. And would light tension cause higher ES on my loads. there both well under SUB moa loads. Any ideas?

Re: Need a little help

Another solution looking for a problem.
Nothing wrong with your ammo and no need for new dies.

You actually answered your own question when you wrote that when you push PRETTY HARD on the bullet you can push it in. You are doing something to the cartridge that in all actuality will probably never happen in the field...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another solution looking for a problem.
Nothing wrong with your ammo and no need for new dies.

You actually answered your own question when you wrote that when you push PRETTY HARD on the bullet you can push it in. You are doing something to the cartridge that in all actuality will probably never happen in the field... </div></div>

What about recoil effect on the cartidges still in the magazine? It seems to me that you should not be able to push the bulelt down into the case by hand pressure alone.

Jim G

I'm with Jim G on this, you should not be able to push a bullet into a case.

Are you annealling before or after you size?

Thats what im worried about is the bullet movement in the mag. Im annealing then i Size. Its not a real hard push to move them but they by no means just touch and they fall. But on 80% of them i could push them down.