• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a load for a Remington Milspec 5R .308

TC1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2006
Hernando, MS
OK, I just bought a new Remington 700 Milspec 5R and I'm ready to load up some ammo and see what it'll do. It's been forever since I've made any .308 loads and could use a little help on some starting componants.

Looking around it would seem everybody is out of components, but I've got Federal 210 primers and Hornady Brass so that part is covered. It doesn't look like I would have any choice in the matter anyway though.
frown.gif

Now for bullets and powder, what do you suggest? Last time I did this 20yrs ago the SMK 168gr's were the hot ticket. Still good? I want accuracy. What about a powder, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Need a load for a Remington Milspec 5R .308

Powder - Varget
Bullets - I shoot 155 Lapua Scenar, 168 Hornaday Amax, and 175 Sierra Match King.

If your going to shoot the 168, use the Hornaday Amax if you can find them and not the SMK. Also Hornady has a 178 Amax that seems to work nice also. Right now its hard to find anything for reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder - Varget
Bullets - I shoot 155 Lapua Scenar, 168 Hornaday Amax, and 175 Sierra Match King.

<span style="color: #FF0000">If your going to shoot the 168, use the Hornaday Amax if you can find them and not the SMK</span>. Also Hornady has a 178 Amax that seems to work nice also. Right now its hard to find anything for reloading. </div></div>
This is not the first time that I have heard this. But WHY have I heard this? Why shoot the Amax's over the smk's in 168 flavor?

Call up Wolfe Publications in AZ and get the back issue of Handloader with the most accurate 308 load article.
As I reacall it was Norma brass, CCI 250s, Varget and Berger VLDs.
I tried the same data in my AR except with WRA brass and 168 A Maxes (VLDs won't feed). It shot 7 in 1" in a 16" TAC DPMS with a 1.4-4 Trijicon with the big post. In the test rifle, a TRG, it shot bug holes. Oddly enough he started with a 700 but it would not shoot 1/2 MOA with Fed GMM or BH Match so it went back.
My results and rifle

th308group.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

Golly, I asked the question before I really got to looking at what was avalible.

I guess it's more of a question what can I build than what should I build! I swear I don't understand the state of affairs when it comes to this stuff. I WON'T RANT THOUGH.

Ok, how about the 167gr Lapua scenars, are they pretty good? I found some of those.

On the powder, I want to use RL-15 but the only place I can find any is on GunBroker and I'm not going to pay what they want for it over there.

You are better off with the 155 Lapua Scenars and 46.2gr of RL15 with any large rifle primer you have.

There are sooooo many good 308 loads. You might want to start with the 308 Winchester one caliber load book available on ebay for about 10 bucks.It combines all the data from almost all bullet and powder makers in one book.

Unfortunatly right now you are at the mercy of the powder gods.Ramshot TAC is pretty available and not bad at all.That with the 178 amax or 175 smk and you should be able to come up with something good.

im running 42gr varget behind a 168gr smk in fgmm brass.. runs about 2600fps and dopes out the same as the factory fed load

i kn ow i can run it fast, but was looking to clone the gmm...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder - Varget

<span style="color: #FF0000">If your going to shoot the 168, use the Hornaday Amax if you can find them and not the SMK</span>. Also Hornady has a 178 Amax that seems to work nice also. Right now its hard to find anything for reloading. </div></div>
This is not the first time that I have heard this. But WHY have I heard this? Why shoot the Amax's over the smk's in 168 flavor? </div></div>the amax has a slightly higher bc than the smk, plus they kill the fuck out of whatever they hit...i'm a big fan. I've also had experience w/ both, and my 700 likey the amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder - Varget

This is not the first time that I have heard this. But WHY have I heard this? Why shoot the Amax's over the smk's in 168 flavor? </div></div>the amax has a slightly higher bc than the smk, plus they kill the fuck out of whatever they hit...i'm a big fan. I've also had experience w/ both, and my 700 likey the amax. </div></div>

Is the higher BC only in the 168's? The reason I ask is because I can find the Amax's locally for about 30 bucks a 100. The smk's I cant find anywhere but online.

Ive got a spsT that I just picked up and since Im going to leave it alone for a while I was figuring on running 155's so I can push em just a little bit faster and hope like hell my rifle likes em.