• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a low priced upgrade, help me out

Jethro21

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2011
Phoenix,Az, USA
Hey guys, I am new to the long range shooting game. I put together my rifle with a scope that I had, a Nikon Buckmasters 4-14. It has served me well but I think I have come to a place where I need to make a change.

Shooting with my buddy the other day I could really see where a mil dot set up, especially a mil/mil setup is desirable. I also found myself adjusting my current scope to the place that the elevation began to feel very spongy and hard to adjust.

So, I am looking at selling my current scope to a buddy and making a small upgrade. I have looked at the SS 10x40 for awhile but just started looking at the Falcon Menace lineup.

I spent about 3 hours last night looking at previous posts on this and other sites about the Falcon Menace 4-14 and if I follow the opinions right they look to be about better than average or so as far as fit/function/durability. I like the variable power (though not necessary) but especially like the mil/mil setup.

This scope will be a interim until my next raise comes through and I will upgrade, probably to a Vortex pst. I know that right near my price range is the Vortex 5-15 through Midway, but it is unavailable at the moment and I forgot to mention I need this scope within a week when I have a class I am attending.

So what should I do? Would I be taking a risk on the Falcon Menace or would my money be better spent with the SS (knowing they are great scopes for the money)?

Thanks guys,
Jethro

Re: Need a low priced upgrade, help me out

Personally I have played with a Falcon Menace prior to buying the same Nikon you have and I would go SS. I now run a SS 5-20 and I will say when I get my next rifle build my budget glass will be a SS mil/mil fixed 10x as I am sure that will fix the bill for 90%+ of my shots. They make a tough scope and stand behind it. If you have a little bigger budget and it is in stock (call them to confirm) I would go for the 3-9 FFP mil/mil SS as that is what I am looking to put on a hunting rig at some point. In the desert where I shoot the mirage is so bad most of the time I don't get over 10x on the magnification. The Falcon has nice features but I personally read about to many issues to make me take the plunge when I scrimp to save for my gear. The one I handled had mushy turrets and felt cheap and I wanted something that I won't have to worry about in the field. Opinions are what they are though so it is really up to you and someone will be along shortly with another opinion.

PS- I thought the SS new mil series weren't in yet just pre orders?

Have you looked at the Bushnell 10x Mil/Mil? A great budget scope, but no parallax adjustment.

I looked at the Bushnell but would lean to the SS for a fixed power.

Pulled the trigger on a SS 10x40, should be here wednesday. Thanks for the imput

Are they offering the Mil/Mil ones now?

No, they aren't out yet. I went with the mildot moa version, I am ok with some math