• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new 22lr, so help a brotha out.

shooter19802003

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2008
Yuma, Colorado
Looking at replacing my Anshutz/savage mk12 with something new. Kinda tired of the whole single shot thing. I have heard alot of good things about the savage TR. So, what is the best bang for the buck rimfire (22lr) out there now? I am newly poor, so keep that in mind. I have about $550 or so to spend on the rifle and who knows on scope, rings, etc. I don't mind going used if that is an option. Be looking for my mk12 in the for sale section soon. Great rifle that has served me well, just want something new.

Re: Need a new 22lr, so help a brotha out.

On a budget, I would look for a CZ 452 Varmint. If I had some extra cash I would consider a Anschutz 1416 HB or a MPR.

The Savage TR is worth the money. If you are looking that direction don't be afraid to buy one.

Yeah the CZ 452/453 or Savage MKII TR would be my two top choices currently. I've been really itching to pick up a TR

Thanks for all of the responses. I have a cz american safari in 375 h&h mag. IMO, it is alot of gun for the money. I have also had a few savages over the years and they have all been shooters right outta the box. Which is why I am having such a hard time with this. I just wish I could afford a mag fed anschutz. Don't think that is going to happen though. I have more important things going on in life now.....unfortunately.

Edit: I think that i am going to put my mk12 up for sale next week. I can't find hardly any for sale. Anybody have a price range they are going for? Thanks again.

CZ452 or CZ453. Configuration depends upon your specific needs and sight requirements.

-David

Sucks being poor. Now I am trying to justify keeping the 22 I have and putting the money elsewhere. I hate being poor and making gun decisions!

The CZ 452 is a good rifle but, it doesn’t have a free floating barrel, and the stamped trigger guard is a bit tacky. Still match grade 22lr is expensive, and unless you are going to compete with the rifle, I am not sure it’s worth the expense, when reloaded 223 will still out shoot it for about the same.

I'd say keep your current guns and put the money towards other things. Especially if you have a family. Being poor does suck, it sucks alot, but getting through it is priority number one. If you're literally poor now and not just tight on money then what you have really would go a long way (I assume) towards other things like food, clothing, and shelter. Besides, you already have two 22's and they sound like they do the job well. Maybe get rid of both and buy what you want. I'm really not sure what to tell you, your situation may require drastic action while it just as well may not and not knowing your exact financial issues makes it very hard to give solid advice to you.

Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you make the right choice,
-Dylan

After talking with the wife tonight I have decided to keep what I have and do some small and cheap mods to it to better suit my needs. Thanks for the help fellas.

I think that is a very wise decision, good luck in your endeavors.
-Dylan