• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a New Barrel !!

cuffm4615

Sergeant/ LEO
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Miami, FLA.
Hey Gents, I know there are other threads similar to this however since I have this nailed down to two specific barrels I figure I'd start my own thread. I am in need of a new BBL.for my rifle and found two in stock. Question is which fits my need more?

BBL #1 is a Krieger (#10 MTU) with a 1-12 twist

BBL #2 is Hart (REM.Factory Varmint Contour) with a 1-10 twist

My Ideal BBL would be the Krieger if it had a 1-10 twist but these two being available now I was wondering what your opinions would be. I EXCLUSIVELY shoot sierra 175gr through this rifle.

Re: Need a New Barrel !!

Bugholes on here sales Rock Creek, Obey, and Brux barrels and usually has all kinds of twist and contours in-stock.

Really can't say what would work for you better as you did not say what you would be doing with the rifle. If you are hunting stay away from the MTU. I think a M40 contour or med./heavy varmint works for all purpose

I shoot mostly off a bench and occasionally prone. My first choice was krieger since I have one on a different build and another on the way (for an LR-308). I am torn here because I was hoping to try out a 1-10 twist(to see how they handle the 175SMK) but the krieger is a 1-12. Only gripe I have with the Hart is I dont know first hand anyone who owns one. So now what I'm wondering is Go with O'l reliable Krieger (eventhough it 1-12) or take a chance on the HART?

I shoot a 25" krieger 1-12 twist with 175SMK exclusively, I easily get 1/2 MOA barrel or better if shot by someone more experianced than me.
no problem reaching 1000yds either.
hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys !! Just for info. I went with the Krieger. Both were available at Midway however there 4th of July promotion expires today. With it I knocked $30 off the $342 price and I'll have a new Krieger barrel delivered by the end of the week, AMAZING!!.

As far as the contour goes it isnt a deal braker since the the stock (T-5) for this rifle is onorder at Manners so I figure I can give them a call tomorrow and change it to a MTU contour.

Once again THANKS TO ALL !!!!

I was teaching an introductory class (www.otsnw.com) and a student had just built a remington 700 with a 21.75" Pacnor polygonal barrel. To my suprise he was using 43.xxg of Varget with 175 SMK (the typical "go-to" load is 45g of Varget) and his velocity was easily 2750 fps based upon his final 1000y DOPE (elevation was 2790). It was the most accurate rifle on the line that weekend and by far the most impressive as his dope was .5 mils less at 1000y than the other match barrels.

With that said I will be rebarreling my action with a PacNor barrel when the time comes.

The Krieger was a great choice. 12 twist is perfect for those bullets and Kriegers are awesome barrels. Good luck!

Just curious why you are hung on the 175's the 155(2156) Palmas by Sierra has pretty much the same BC.

I've just been getting good results with the 175's so why mess with a good thing.
smile.gif