• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new handgun detachable light.

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
I carry a Glock 21 with the old XM-3 light. Im in need of a new light source and would like some imput form you all. I would like it to be in LED too, any and all info is welcome. Thanks.

Re: Need a new handgun detachable light.

I use a Streamlight TLR-1 on my P220, and it's plenty bright, and LED to boot.

I'm not a huge fan of the attachment method, but if you don't take the light off semi- regularly, it's not a big deal.

My buddy he is a deputy and he has the TLR-1. It's a heck of a lot brighter than the one i have now. Just don't know if i want that or the TLR-2. The thing i like about the TLR-2 it has a strobe function.

I had an internal Lasermax sight on my pistol, and rarely used it. I see the utility for some folks to have 'em (shield operators, etc), but I found that when I needed my duty weapon out, the laser was not even on my list of "things I need right now".

I also find that shooters with lasers tend to try for the perfect "steady" shot in the bull, instead of focusing on the sights and aiming center mass.

I will say that I have been impressed with the strobe function on several different lights. Not a bad secondary feature.

tlr as my personal choice (price/performance) but would look
at Insight offerings

The reason i would like the laser is when using NVG's it makes it easier to get on target faster.

If you have a legitimate need, then drop the hammer and get it.

You can always use the failsafe motto in which I live by: "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

TLR-1s has strobe and more lumens than the TLR-1 for a few bucks more...

My TLR-2 fogged the inside of the plastic lens, still not sure beyond the moisture/room temp to -20f range time issue.

cleaned easily by removing the head and using Plastix and a qtip.

Overall - happy with both the TLR1 and TLR2. TLR2 has done well holding zero as well.

Donnie at Big River can help -

I've had a few X300's and never been let down. Bright as shit too. Only thing is LED lights arent as good in fog/drizzle as a halogen lamp.

+1 to 1znuf - reports are strong for the Veridian product line.

Failed to mention that the TLR2s red laser isn't the strongest during non optimal conditions - clear, dark etc. Would be very curious to try the X400 and compare light and laser vs the TLR2. See whose red spectrum/design performs better.

Option to consider if pondering a light - laser
Actually thought about dumping the TLR2 on my G21SF for a TLR1 and adding a Doctor Optic or Trijicon RMR red dot or J Point to the rear sight with an EGW mount. more money, but at least you can get holsters that fit for a TLR or X300. Would be a better balance, but night ops....

have yet to try to viridian in those conditions, but a friend has one for he and his woman - swears by it. claims outstanding daylight range/perf/repeat..

bulky though and not sure what holsters would work with the full setup, not like the tlr2 is little or light either.....

I'll be able to handle the Viridian unit today - if Popeye would like a report on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad_Karma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the X300. Bright, durable, but pricey ($200ish) </div></div>

I'd go with the Surefire also.
TLR's are nice but I think the X300 is better
JMC

Streamlight TLR1 or 2 great value and performance, rock solid durability or Surefire x300/400, same performance but more $$$$ for the surefire name.

Insight technologies wX150 great LED with momentary on and strobe function. Plus it fits all my existing holsters that are set up for the M3 and M6 lights. I have used M3, M6, TLR-1, TLR-2, Surefire X200, and have found this to be the best light for throw of beam and intensity of lumens. The only disadvantage to the LED I have found is that it does not cut fog, mist, and dark tinted windows as well as a high power white light. The battery life has been exceptional. The lens cleans up quick after a long range session as long as you place a small drop of CLP on the lens prior to shooting and rub it in to prevent carbon build up. The body is aluminum the switch ambidextreous and works well for momentary or constant on. To toggle to the strobe you have to depress the switch down twice for momentary strobe or up twice for constant on strobe. Switch works the same from either side. The light stays secured to the gun but is easily removed without tools. I run one of these lights on my G34 and G21sf for over a year each and have had no problems, and they go to work every night. And the best part of an Insight Technologies product is customer service. I am hard on my gear and anytime I had an issue with a weaponlight or a handheld light they have repaired or replaced it very quickly. Price is around the same as any of the other quality lights and when you count on your light for your livelyhood and life it is worth spending the money on a good light. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up getting.

Take care and be safe out there,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surefire X300/400. Tough to beat, tough as nails, and has a bright LED, has two ways to attatch; but it's a little pricey. </div></div>

+1. I prefer using the Crimson Trace Laser Grips with the X300. The X400 hangs just a little too low with the laser below it. Plus if you end up carrying it, and take the light off to keep it in a holster, you still have your laser. There just aren't a whole bunch of rail mounted light compatible holsters, at least for a 1911.

Green lasers are more visible under all conditions and are blinding in a the eyes. Will ruin night vision, day vision, x-ray vision.

Just a thought. Rock on.

Don't forget to figure in the cost of a holster if you're changing lights. They're not all interchangeable.

Hmmmm. Just had a Viridian die on me at the range. Brand new, didn't survive 20 rounds of an XD40. Will be calling them. FYI. Will keep posted.

Update: Called Viridian today; very helpful on the phone. <span style="font-style: italic">emailed</span> me a return label; told me R/Rs are taking up to 10 days. Let's see how the customer service is.

I have the TLR1 on my duty gun it takes a beating and still does its job.I also have a surefire on my house gun and it does seem to be put together better but its pricey.