• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new powder trickler

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
After a long trip in the trunk of my car, my Hornady auto charge keeps throwing above 30gr even when set to 23gr no matter what the settings are, certain buttons no longer work.
What is the best buy once cry once auto trickler option?
Currently only loading 223 and 308 but looking to expand with time.

Call hornady and ask them to fix it.
I am going to do this but I want to at least look at other options. After checking charge weights on a seperate more high end scale, I havent been thrilled with the consistency. I have read of others having problems as well. I do like the layout and simplicity of use though.

since you asked for buy-once cry-once auto trickler option: https://autotrickler.com
He's not wrong ^^^^^^

It is faster and more accurate. Of course there is a catch - the price tag.....

They are currently producing the V3 but they have just announced that there is a V4 in the pipeline, should be released later in the year, but as you need it now I'm guessing you will go with the V3 (which is a great option)

Either go charge master or step up to the auto throw. Don’t waste money in between or below.

I have a Chargemaster and had an order for a V3 that I just converted to a V4.

The Chargemaster is a good unit that worked well for certain powders and sucked for others (Varget specifically) as it would overthrow a lot (very frustrating).

As I am just getting into 6BR (where Varget is pretty much the gold standard) I decided it was time to upgrade.

I have a Chargemaster and had an order for a V3 that I just converted to a V4.

The Chargemaster is a good unit that worked well for certain powders and sucked for others (Varget specifically) as it would overthrow a lot (very frustrating).

As I am just getting into 6BR (where Varget is pretty much the gold standard) I decided it was time to upgrade.
Ha! Varget was fine for my charge master, it was h4350 that was giving me trouble and pushed me over that very same ledge.

I’m sure with a bit of programming it could have been fine but I had a “fuck it” moment and have never looked back lol. Love my v2.

Reactions: Cardboard Assassin
Ha! Varget was fine for my charge master, it was h4350 that was giving me trouble and pushed me over that very same ledge.

I’m sure with a bit of programming it could have been fine but I had a “fuck it” moment and have never looked back lol. Love my v2.

I shoot a lot of H4350 in my 6.5CM and the Chargemaster has been pretty good for that (occasional overthrow).

I did play around with the settings / speeds when I first got it so that may be where the difference lies. Feels like in making it better for H4350 I made it worse for Varget.

Anyways I decided it was time to move on but I'm waiting for the V4 (the Chargemaster will tide me over until it shows up then it will be sold). I got the FX120 scales in the meantime so I am going to experiment a little to see how accurate the Chargemaster really is.

The scale they want you to buy to use with the auto trickler is 730$ lol
I may go with a Charge master or look at Hornadys newer top of the line trickler.

Order it from ceproducts and use the Cambridge code they specify, it is around $500 shipped. I enjoyed my chargemaster lite but it had too much variation for my 223 but was good with my bra/creed

The scale they want you to buy to use with the auto trickler is 730$ lol
I may go with a Charge master or look at Hornadys newer top of the line trickler.
Only if you buy it from the wrong place or don’t bother looking at the description to get the 30% off. It’s around 500 for the scale plus 500 for the auto throw/trickler.

I've purchased from the Company listed above and their Customer Service was absolutely amazing as well as shipping time. Highly recommend!

I like my hornady more than my chargemaster simply because it has an audible and visual alert when it overthrows. They are equally as accurate and consistent.

Reactions: jLorenzo
1000 dollars.. for something that adds a little powder at a time until its perfect... i was born with one of those... its called a hand. Super valuable, runs a 5cc lee powder scoop. My granfather used to say that fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish. Of course i dont load 100's of rounds at a time either.

1000 dollars.. for something that adds a little powder at a time until its perfect... i was born with one of those... its called a hand. Super valuable, runs a 5cc lee powder scoop. My granfather used to say that fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish. Of course i dont load 100's of rounds at a time either.
I fall into the same Boat.
Only loading enough to go out a shoot a string or two at a time I use the FX scale paired with the Dandy Powder Trickler.
The two systems paired provide a very fast and accurate throw.

I picked up one of those Dandy Powder tricklers and was pleasantly surprise. Set my charge master to throw a.1 grain under then trickle to finish off. Maybe not the fastest way but works for me and at a little over $100 not bad on the wallet either

I picked up one of those Dandy Powder tricklers and was pleasantly surprise. Set my charge master to throw a.1 grain under then trickle to finish off. Maybe not the fastest way but works for me and at a little over $100 not bad on the wallet either
It's super simple but works incredibly well, easy to adjust the flow rate and works across a huge range of powders.
As you said; not for everyone but a great choice for me.