• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new press for precision rifle - Co-Ax?

lead ƒarmer

Gun Loving Redneck
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
Prosser, WA
I currently have a MEC marksman and a RCBS Rock Chucker before that. I like the MEC overall, but I really hate the floating shell holder and I'm frequently buggering up case mouths because the case isn't centered when I work the ram. I am 90% set on a Forster Co-Ax, but just figured I'd get a little feedback first.
The biggest thing I'm concerned with is seater die compatibility. I know that if you have a really tall micrometer seater it's possible to have interference with the yoke. I'm primarily using RCBS matchmaster dies, but also have Hornady, Redding, and Forster. I will be loading mostly SA precision rifle rounds, but also a few LA magnums for hunting guns. What would you recommend for me and my use? Also, is there any sort of case ejector for the Co-Ax? I had one for my RCBS and it was a game changer!

If you are messing up case mouths with the Mec you are doing something wrong. I've used one for several years and not damaged one case mouth. The only problems I've had have been my own fault due to improper die adjustment. Spend the money on a new press if it will make you sleep better. I'd be willing to bet you'll have self-induced problems with it also.

Reactions: John Glidewell
I currently have a MEC marksman and a RCBS Rock Chucker before that. I like the MEC overall, but I really hate the floating shell holder and I'm frequently buggering up case mouths because the case isn't centered when I work the ram. I am 90% set on a Forster Co-Ax, but just figured I'd get a little feedback first.
The biggest thing I'm concerned with is seater die compatibility. I know that if you have a really tall micrometer seater it's possible to have interference with the yoke. I'm primarily using RCBS matchmaster dies, but also have Hornady, Redding, and Forster. I will be loading mostly SA precision rifle rounds, but also a few LA magnums for hunting guns. What would you recommend for me and my use? Also, is there any sort of case ejector for the Co-Ax? I had one for my RCBS and it was a game changer!
I use the Forster Co-Ax and it has distance of 7 1/4" of distance to fit a seating die that has that much full length. I've used a Forster Micrometer Seater Die for a .308 that measure 5 1/2", so it has more than enough room. The Co-Ax does not come with a case ejector, but I have see this accessory:

Any single stage will do. Doesn’t matter if it’s new or 70yrs old.

Reactions: Gogga
i can load 300WM and 300PRC on the Coax with little to no issues.
adjust the die correctly and you are good to go. i ordered mine online from a local cabelas and then went and picked it up when it arrived. prepare to wait

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
I recently moved to a Co-Ax from a Hornady Lock N Load progressive for my “precision” rounds. I still use the Hornady for pistol,
223/5.56 and maybe 6.5 Grendel with ball powders; but, anything requiring running the press in single stages the Co-Ax in my opinion is more accurate. I will warn you, you can still screw up case mouths if you don’t pay attention. The Co-Ax doesn’t use shell holders, it uses a lock jaw. Works great. But the die slides in the top and is supported in the press by the die ring. There’s a set screw that blocks the die from moving out but it only works well with the Forester lock rings. Some of the other brands of dies the ring is smaller and can slide past the set screw. So if you get in a hurry and don’t pay attention the die can slide out and there goes another mouth. FYI you can check Forester’s cosmetic blems section and get the press about $100 cheaper. Mine had some paint rubbed off and that was it. Good luck.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Here’s a 280AI with a 180 Hybrid and a Redding Micrometer seating due. OAL is about 3.64”. You do have to set the nose up into the seater stem before you can get it in the mouth. Never thought it was that big of a deal.

image.jpg

I make some really good ammo on my lyman turret press. With good components, good dies, good process, the press is less important than we all tend to think, imo.

I use the Forster Co-Ax and it has distance of 7 1/4" of distance to fit a seating die that has that much full length. I've used a Forster Micrometer Seater Die for a .308 that measure 5 1/2", so it has more than enough room. The Co-Ax does not come with a case ejector, but I have see this accessory:

So, where would one find this Case ejector and Case Catcher for the Co-Ax? I've done a Google search and all that comes up about it is that video. Looks interesting.

So, where would one find this Case ejector and Case Catcher for the Co-Ax? I've done a Google search and all that comes up about it is that video. Looks interesting.
Sorry, I have no idea. 🤷‍♂️ This one doesn't look like something that's commercially manufactured. It looks easy enough to construct one, especially if one has a 3D printer. 😵‍💫

Reactions: Big Timber
It's clearly a print, and I was gonna ask for the STL file. Look on thingiverse or grabcad, you might get lucky.

A lot of guys seem to like the Co-Ax press, and obviously, they make good ammo, or else they wouldn't be so popular.

That said, I can't stand them. IMHO the lever stroke blows donkey dick. I loaded ~200 rounds on one while helping my buddy set his up and I hope to never touch one again. They're the opposite of ergonomic lol. It's a press, so you use the handle all the time, so the handle/stroke being wonky is kind of a big deal.

I also don't dig any of the gimmicky fancy-float-alignment/shellholder nonsense like on the MEC or Co-Ax, shellholders work great, no need to reinvent the wheel there, simple is always better IMO.

I'm just putting a different viewpoint out there because everyone is different and sometimes people look past the simple stuff.

Though I have an XL750 with all the trimmings, I still do all my precision rifle stuff on a little $100 Lyman Ideal press and it's awesome. If I were going to buy another press to use for precision rifle stuff, It'd probably be RCBS' newer Rebel press... I like the fact that it's beefy as hell without any of the gimmicky bells and whistles... it doesn't even have on-press priming (which most of us will never use anyway since most prime off-press). I'd still use the little Lyman press to seat bullets for the feel it provides though.

YMMV.

A lot of guys seem to like the Co-Ax press, and obviously, they make good ammo, or else they wouldn't be so popular.

That said, I can't stand them. IMHO the lever stroke blows donkey dick. I loaded ~200 rounds on one while helping my buddy set his up and I hope to never touch one again. They're the opposite of ergonomic lol. It's a press, so you use the handle all the time, so the handle/stroke being wonky is kind of a big deal.

I also don't dig any of the gimmicky fancy-float-alignment/shellholder nonsense like on the MEC or Co-Ax, shellholders work great, no need to reinvent the wheel there, simple is always better IMO.

I'm just putting a different viewpoint out there because everyone is different and sometimes people look past the simple stuff.

Though I have an XL750 with all the trimmings, I still do all my precision rifle stuff on a little $100 Lyman Ideal press and it's awesome. If I were going to buy another press to use for precision rifle stuff, It'd probably be RCBS' newer Rebel press... I like the fact that it's beefy as hell without any of the gimmicky bells and whistles... it doesn't even have on-press priming (which most of us will never use anyway since most prime off-press). I'd still use the little Lyman press to seat bullets for the feel it provides though.

YMMV.
Yup, different viewpoints is why we have products of different makes and models. . . like in automobiles. :giggle:

YMMV.

Same, I spent a ton of time trying to fix all the weird idiosyncrasies with the Co-Ax and eventually just got rid of it. Good riddance.

I vote for simple, got a Redding Boss and a Lyman Orange Crush to go along with the two 550’s. I can load pretty good ammo on the 550 LP using it as a single or double stage. But my small primer rifle rounds get loaded single stage with an RCBS auto primer handling those chores.

Shell holders work fine.