• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a New Spotting Scope

tim68

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2007
Lone Star State
I'm in the market for a new spotter. I'm not partial to any brands, but I want a good one. I've got Swaro binoculars and I love the, so I would probably start there. This will be used mainly for hunting and at the range. Don't want anything less than 40x because that's what I got now.

Also, any great places to look for one would be appreciated. Will be calling Doug at Camera land on Monday. Texas stores are out of the question because of that little 8.25% on top of everything.

Looking to spend around $2000 for the body and eyepiece.

Re: Need a New Spotting Scope

I own two sets of Zeiss binos.
My spotting scope is a Fujinon.

I owned a Kowa 60mm w/45deg 20-60x viewfinder which was a
great value. I was able to watch sheep in a mountain glenn at 5-8mi and id (albeit roughly) the different rams, ewes and lambs with the Kowa.

The Fujinon Super 60A Fieldscope has much less distortion and better clarity at distance than the Kowa. The Fuji allows greater magnification in deep shadow, is lightweight and while maybe not THE BEST is pretty damn close.

I tried Fujinon because I am very impressed with their Mil-Spec 7x50mm binoculars. Not as crisp as my Zeiss' but still excellent.

I definitely recommend a 45deg eyepiece over a straight through eyepiece, lots more versatile.

I highly recommend the Kowa TSN 880 Series with the Promenade Lens. I recently compared the 883 to my ATS 20X60X80 Swarovski and was so impressed that I now have the Kowa TSN 883 and I sold my Swarovski

Try Scott too,,got a great deal from him.
So good I'll be posting my Kowa 60mm with a Freeeland scope stand soon.

Scott Berish
Liberty Optics LLC
An Official Vendor of Sniper's Hide.
www.libertyoptics.com
"See Better, Shoot Better"
406-890-2714
If no answer 352-572-1469
[email protected]

I looked thru Lowlights Ziess, that was a mistake, now I want one!

Hello

This is my first post here on the Hide.

Sorry tim308 for interupting your post but it's such a timely topic as I'm also looking for a spotter. Although i have made up my mind for a "straight" over "angled" type. My budget is also around $2,000.00 The intended use will be for spotting bullet holes on paper target/steel plate at 600m and 800m in sunny Thailand.

So far i have checked Liberty Optics and Euro Optics.

Thank you.

That's a healthy budget for a good spotting scope. I would go with the Zeiss, if I have the money. Here is a link for the review.

http://www.6mmbr.com/SpotterReview.html

In the budget range, I think the Nikon Monarch 16-60x80 mm objective, which I have can do the job reasonably well. I am able to see 30 cal bullet holes on paper targets over 500 yards. I can see bullet impact on metal targets well over 1500 yards. It doesn't weigh a lot. By all means, I am not saying that it is even close to the quality or performance of the Zeiss. It a decent alternative for those with limited budget. JMHO.

I use a Leupold 12-40x60 HD and i thinks it works real good.I notice that if i turn down the power to 10x its alot more crisp image at long range when mirage is heavy.I paid $1050 for the kit.Im very happy with this scope and recommened it.
I also had a leupold Sequioa series 20-60x80, but i didnt like the quality of this spotter, it was a very opaque image and shook alot on its tripod.The high power wasnt very efficient either.that one was around $400 bucks.i dont recommend this model of spotters.

Lots of good options, and honestly every couple years the "top" scope changes, coatings change, lenses change a bit a new version comes out that pushes the old top guy out. For a long time it was the swarovski HD scopes, then zeiss came out with a newer version that edged them out a bit. Kowa has always had a good rep but at least around here we never run into any of them to compare and it's too much $ to dump on something you can't check out first.

Also at the top end many times brightness of the optic while also tied to objective size and coatings is also a factor of what kind of coatings they use. Some companies use a higher contrast coating which makes the image look brighter at the loss of subtle detail, others go for a more neutral coating. Swarovski is one that has been known to go for a more neutral coating, probably because of their huge following with birders.

On the magnification note, while it's always nice to have more power, also keep in mind what you have on the low end. I have a swarovski ats80 HD with the 20-60 zoom and when hunting here in the desert on a bad mirage day even 20x is almost too much. 20x is the max lowest power I want in a spotting scope and I'd prefer 12-15x. I'd gladly give up the 45-60x range because in most conditions it's useless between the mirage and if there is any wind you can't steady the unit enough to use the top powers even with a heavy tripod. I'd sell my 20-60 eyepiece in a heartbeat to get a 15-45x. That and the fixed eyepieces give better image, a strait 30x eyepiece is not as flexible but the imagine is impressive when compared to the zoom even on top brands.

Bottom line is any of the mentioned scopes are top notch and picking between them is splitting very thin hairs.

As long as you are not packing this around all day.I heard good things about the Pentax 25-75x100mm.About a thou cheaper than the new Kowa Prominar.

Should also check out Optolyth, excellent optics on par with the best, prices are cheaper than zeiss and swaro though.

I have a Leica 20x60 that does a good job for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I highly recommend the Kowa TSN 880 Series with the Promenade Lens. I recently compared the 883 to my ATS 20X60X80 Swarovski and was so impressed that I now have the Kowa TSN 883 and I sold my Swarovski </div></div>

TSN 883 is currently the best on the market according to many knowledgeable sources. I like my Swaro ATM65 though.
smile.gif

Could someone please assist?

I'm wondering if the additional cost for higher spec glass i.e. HD for Swarovski, APO for Leica and LutoTec for Zeiss worth it?

Will there be much difference in optical quality between the standard lense and high def lense?

Many thanks,

I have a Kowa TSN-821 with the 27x LER eyepiece.

When practicing, I can clearly see groups and holes at 200.

When shooting highpower, the scoreboards and spotters are easy to see. The 45deg boday, and LER eye piece lets you get your head in and see easily without taking off eye protection or messing up your position.

27x is plenty enough to see the spotters and markers at 800, 900 and 1000.

I'll bet if you shop around there's plenty of the 60mm, 77mm, and 82mm Kowas sitting in people's closets not being used. They seem to be the dominant spotting scope used in highpower.

A couple days ago I ordered the Pentax PF-100ED after reading some different reviews of it pitted up against the big Euro 3.Apparently they(Pentax)have arguably the best eyepieces.When reading the reviews I discovered that fixed magnification eyepieces make for a sharper image vs vario eyepieces.One author said that the clarity of the P-100 with a fixed eyepiece was astounding and the best image quality of all the scopes he had looked through.Another reason I bought it was that it was less expensive than the rest of the big 3's 77-80mm scopes.Most of the big three require the purchase of a separate eyepiece for $400-600 approx.On top of the $2000 approx for the scope body.
Yes,I think the Kowa TSN883-884 is maybe king but at $2500 it was more money than I was able to justify with the economy right now.Heck,I went way beyond my budget as it was.LOL
I tried to save money and order a Vortex 80mm ED but it was very disappointing compared to a friends Zeiss 65FL.I was hoping it would be close,almost as clear and that would have been fine but to me there was no comparison.
In the articles I read a couple authors stated that the Pentax 80mmED was the best bang for the $ out all the spotting scopes they tested almost as clear as the big 3 but in the $1000 range at 1/3 to half the price.

Steve

+1 for beech96w. If you check with Creedmore, they every once in a while have specials for the Kowa's. To add you could also get a 20-60 eyepiece for the Kowa's which would help at longer ranges.

I have one of the PF-80ED's from Pentax, you will not be dissapointed. It's as good as anything else out there, and I've had all of them here.

Got my Pentax PF-100ED spotting scope with the 26x78 zoom and all I can say is...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Far and above the best optics I've ever looked through.Extremely impressive!Even the action of the massive eyepiece is top notch as well as the focus.It's so bright and clear the image looks like a laser lithograph!

Really glad I went ahead and spent the money now.

Steve