• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a recommendation on AR10plumber

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
We are in Central Kentucky and a friend just had a 308 case seperate inside his DPMS AR-10.
The case split in half and the neck and shoulder area are still stuck in the chamber.
If you guys can recommend a good gunsmith with a great reputation and one that has a fast turn-around I would appreciate it....
If you can also give me the information / contact #'s I would appreciate it.
Thanks guys.......SmokeRolls

Re: Need a recommendation on AR10plumber

Have y'all tried a liberal amount of kroll and CAREFULLY running a brass cleaning brush in from the muzzle end? Worked like a charm on a case/head separation we had during a competition a few years back.

I've seen Ritten's method (not his personally, but other shooters).

I have also used a 45 bore brush shoved into the breech and that picks up the case to pull it out.

Thanks guys.
They got impatient and found an easy out and gingerly used it to just grab the case and were successful at getting it out with no damage to anything.
...I appreciate your imput though.
...SmokeRolls

In a pinch I have removed the bullet and dumped powder from a live round then chamber it behind the stuck round. If it seats firmly you might get lucky and have them both extract.

A proper case extractor is still your best friend.

You can sometimes just chamber up another round hard enough to grab the separated case.

If not, another field expedient method is to run a chamber brush into it. Reversing direction will often give enough grip to pull it out. Done this on the line more than once.

Broken case extractor is a good thing to have. I keep a .223 laying about, but i still haven't gotten around to getting one for the .308s.