• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need a recommendation on video converting software

VAN1LLA G0R1LLA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
ok so title says it all i need a recommendation on video converting software
what i am looking to do:
convert videos so i can put them into iTunes then put them on my iPhone i think they are in avi format and they need to be in mp4 format to go on my phone
im not super computer savvy so the easier the program is to use the better also if it is free that would be a nice bonus too seeing as i am knda broke all the time
any recommendations would be great
thanks
the gorilla

Re: need a recommendation on video converting software

I just bought the Sony Vegas program to convert videos from my JVC camcorder to a format I could widely use. It's a basic video editing program that cost $40 or so. I think that it does mp4.... I'll check and post.

One of the output formats on Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 is .mp4.

Download the VLC media player. They have versions for mac and pc. Its free. It will play freakin everything, and it has a streaming transcoding option that will convert files to .mp4. You can't batch transcode files like you can with Compressor or ClipWrap, so you have to do them one at a time. Ok for short runs, but that sucks if you have a couple hundred clips.

+1 on VLC. Works great, available for lots of platforms.

If you absolutely have to convert format, IHMO, Super is the best video converting freeware going at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Download the VLC media player. They have versions for mac and pc. Its free. It will play freakin everything, and it has a streaming transcoding option that will convert files to .mp4. You can't batch transcode files like you can with Compressor or ClipWrap, so you have to do them one at a time. Ok for short runs, but that sucks if you have a couple hundred clips. </div></div>

i have vlc but i dint know it would convert files too i just thought it was used to play movies i will have to play with it and see if i can get it to do what i need it to do
thanks

2 pieces of free software, dvd43 and handbrake. handbrake is designed specifically to convert movies form various other formats into an ipod/itunes friendly format. I've been using it for years, it's the standard for your application.