• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a rifle, have $2500, any ideas?

xdpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
I am looking for a bolt gun, and have $2500 to spend. I was thinking about a remington. Also saw some things on the new savage model 10 BAS-K. It looks to me like the savage has to many different pieces bolted together. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need a rifle, have $2500, any ideas?

if your looking for a 308 there is a GA Precision (GAP) Rock on the board and it is a pretty low price.

I'm not a fan of the 308 or I would be on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a remy 5r and a nightforce and you will be off and running. </div></div>

What he said!

Puts you very close when you include the cost of mounts and rings.That is if you buy a used scope and mounts from the for sale forums.....

Remington P, or 5R and Don't get yourself all wound up on bs parts for the scope and mounting solution. What are you going to do with it? Compete in rugged competitons, or merely go shoot at the range once in a while?
Do you have experience in long range shooting or are you looking at trying it out?
Do you want to set up a rifle for no bs rugged reliability, or do you just want to shoot bench?
These are serious questions that you need to answer before going all out on a rifle.
Me, $2500, no bs:
Remy P or 5R
US Optics ST-10
US Optics Scope rail, 20 MOA Slope
US Optics MkIII rings
Money left over to buy a little ammo or a TIS sling or a TAB BAg, or maybe some stuff from Reman Tactical.

If you don't have a solid bolt gun and want to just shoot at the range on a non commital budget:

Remy SPS 20"
Call SWFA and
SWFA 10x42 SS
SWFA mounting solution as directed

You will have a lot left over and not be totally commited to the long range frustrations and long practicwe sessions be be good enough to shoot and beat out lots of people.
Think about what you want vs what you need vs your commitment level

With $2500 I'd try to get the scope of my dreams and use the rest if any was left on a bolt gun to mount it on...

Looking for a rugged rifle that will last. Don't care about a whole lot of fancy bs. I have some experience in ATTEMPTED long range shooting. I have a savage in 300wm that has a ported barrel and shitty stock. I have some Ar's and nice pistols, just tryng to complete my inventory with a nice bolt gun that I can put some time in on and get good with.

Peirce fully custom barrelled action, the smoothest you will ever have the pleasure of using, $1950 out the door, ready for a stock and shoot. Rugged, no bullshit and John will take real good care of you.

Stock rifles are nice, but will leave a lot to be desired, and you will ultimately desire to go custom anyway.

Thats what I did, and could not be happier.

For the $2500 a STOCK rifle like a 5R with a good scope and mounting solution will take anyone through the first stages of Long Range frustration and practice. It's enough cash to lay out for the entire package with solid no BS optics and a solid no bs mounting solution on a 1/2 MOA out of the box stick. For even lower entry an SWFA SSHD scope will be very good.
Why spend all $2500 on a custom stick that will sit in a closet waiting for a scope when everything can be got at once for a solid entry level system. Day 1, save for a better stock. Day 2, look into tuning up the action, Day 3, maybe save up for a SN3 or a better adjustable scope if you want one.
A solid gun and scope in 10x will get anyone a very solid look into the long range stuff. Shoot, shoot some more and shoot even more to learn it, learn the scope, and learn the rifle's weaknesses and strengths. My opinion is based on what I have learned over the years here and on the range. Some days were lucky enough to shoot with SH folks, most and many were just me, the wind, targets, and my rifle. I really need to get out and shoot...

+1 for the 5r with a nightforce. that is what I run and I love it

I would have to say no to anything over a 308 to include the 300WM simply because there is way more data available for the 308 AND if it's not what you like, it is a lot eaiser to sell than a WM, unless of course your other toys have the 600 - 1000 M area covered.

+1 to 5R with NF. and switch blade is right too. also a lot longer barrel life on a .308 than on anything larger like a .300winmag. might as well get some good use out of it, good long use, before having to spend MORE money on a rebarrel.

just my $0.02.

Paulus

Remington 700P or Rem 700 5R
USO OR NF Scope.
USO or BO Base
USE or BO Rings
Harris Bi Pod.

And your G2G.
around 2,500 +/-

Thanks for all the input guys, I also think I'll stay away from a magnum, already have one. I want something that won't burn the barrel out of. I think I'm going to go with a Remy in .308. I'll let ya know how I do with it. Thanks a million for all the input. This is a GREAT site.

For budget, look hard at the SPS line in 20". The 700P, and LTR are also great bets on really solid starter platforms.
20" will get you to 800M with work, and 600M easy, and on a nice day you can hit 1k with it. Makes a lighter better handling rifle as well. The longer 24" rifles handle well but are not as quick on target if you hunt with them.

You should be able to find a regular P model anywhere, but for the money, the little SPS 20" is sweet. I have been thinking hard about cutting my PSS down and restocking it with a lighter stock for a Scout rifle since I have a better shooting stick in an AI folder chassis.

If you reload the 308, you can get around 10 loads per case which is darn good. Developing a load is easier because there are several here who have already done the hard work for you for good solid shooting rounds and loads. For your personal stick, you may only have to make minor adjustments on a load, or one will work solid for you

Rem 700 donor action, rebarreled to 6.5 creedmore, B&C light tactical stock new bushnell FFP or Viper PST when it comes out.
If you are not going to arry it around all day, a Savage Palma rifle or F/TR rifle.

If your worried about rebarrel cost....your prob also worried about ammo cost. If your not reloading 300wm can cost 20-30% more than 308! Look in the FS section on the hide. You could buy a real nice rifle for $2000ish and you would have just enough to buy a nib swfa scope and rings!

New to this game but search of Remington's site does not show a 5R - help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmr44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to this game but search of Remington's site does not show a 5R - help.</div></div>

here you go

JCH, thanks, didn't think of Goggle when the official Remy site failed to show this model. This site rocks.

I got some great advice here when I was looking for my first 308 bolt gun. I was trying to decide between Rem. 700 ss 5r, and Savage 10 BAS, leaning toward Savage. Decided against the 10 BAS due to "too many parts put together" as you said. Started looking for a Savage 10 FCP-HS, and wound up finding a lightly used HS Precision HTR, for basically the same price as a 10 BAS and a Magpul PRS (practically a required upgrade).
If you're not in a hurry, keep one eye on "firearms for sale" on the Hide, and the other eye on Gunbroker.
Money is tight for a lot of people right now. If you have $2500 to spend on a rig, you are in a position to take advantage of some great deals!
Good luck, and let us know wht you decide to go with.

Is there any reason why FN Herstal's never come up when these questions are posted? That is what I have in a 20" and I absolutely love it.

dar-dar;

I'm making some assumptions, but I'm also taking you at your word that you're new to the game.

First assumption, you're pretty convinced that only a superlative gun will make you a great marksman. Many believe this, but if you can root out the actual good marksmen here, I'll betcha the skills came first, and then came the superlative rifles. I'll go further and suggest that throwing a lot of money at the question in this stage of your marksmanship development won't buy you one penny's worth more ability that something significantly less expensive and more mundane.

What I'd suggest you really need at this stage is something uncomplicated, dependable, and so adequately accurate that it allows one to distinguish between their own flaws and any the rifle may possess. Egos aside, for at least 90%-95% of the shooters here, a very basic varmint rifle is going to serve practically until it's worn out before it's limitations actually curtail a shooter's advancement. Consider the word, 'beater', because the process of marksmanship skill development means that whatever implement you're gonna choose, it's gonna be in for a respectable beating before all the dust gets to settle.

$2500 is far more than you'd be needing to spend on any one rifle right now. But if we look beyond the superlative, and consider this from the viewpoint of the word 'adequate', we open up the stage for a learning experience that has far more depth and potential.

First, I'd spend about $250-$300 on a very basic .22LR bolt action repeater (I suggest a Savage MKII-F), a utilitarian scope, and some simple, basic mounts.

Next, I'd invest significant bucks, say $500-$600, in a reloading capability that included at least .223 and .308 reloading capacities.

Then, I'd get that reliable, relatively inexpensive beater. Perhaps a Savage mod 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 for $667. Black Hills and Hornady 75gr Match loads will go a long, long way accurately out of this rifle. Or perhaps the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine, available in either .223 or .308, listing for $854. And then, there's the Savage 10 FCP-K, same chamberings, for $893. There's also the 12 VLP-DBM in a number of chamberings from .223 through .308 for $1021, and .300 WSM for $1061.

A good base, like the Ken Farrel 20MOA, and quality adjustable rings, like the Burris Signature 'Vee' Rings, and some (again) utilitarian optics, complete the suite.

This may also leave some significant change for .22LR ammo and reloading components. I would shoot the Bejeezuz out of the .22; and save the centerfire ammo components and bore life for more the memorable applications.

I probably make few friends (immediately) among those excellent folks here who favor and provide really nice stuff, by suggesting this line of approach. But I am supremely confident that the type of skills foundation such an approach will provide will also provide them with a capable and discerning customer somewhere down the line, where and when their wares can be put to a much more able use.

More importantly, finding a good mentor is at least ten (thousand?) times as valuable as finding a superlative rifle. A good marksman can shoot any moderately intact and functional rifle well; but a mediocre one can't do squat with anything, no matter how nifty it might be.

Greg

Greg,
You make a lot of excellent points, and I agree that there are a lot of other ways one could put their money to use that would go further toward making them a better shooter" (ie. reloading equipment for more accurate and affordable ammo, good glass, a .22lr trainer,etc...) than just buying an expensive rifle. While I have been shooting for 20 years now, I am fairly new to the long range game, and I am comming to learn there are are a lot of directions for available funds to go in: (Rifle, scope, rings and mount, spotting scope and tripod, logbook, reload. equip, ammo, range time,etc..)
My only question is this: Is there really anything wrong with buying an expensive first rifle, if you can afford to do so? There is no question that having a great rifle won't make one a great marksman, but is it possible that having a great rifle will encourage one to shoot more and strive to improve their skill level? Is it harder to learn the basics of long range shooting on a superlative rifle than on a basic one?
For me personally, and this is just the way I feel, if I have a rifle I know is capable of 1/2 moa or better, I am going to push myself until I can make it shoot that way. If I don't shoot well, it's got to be my fault.
I've heard people with stock Remington 700s say "This rifle is only capable of 1 moa". That may be the truth, or it may be an "out".
Is there really a downside to starting out with the "best"?
(unless, of course, it leaves you no money left over for ammo)

No. There absolutely no downside to buying a fine implement if the funds are available; and I think you answered your own question very ably.

For me, the question is not about pride of ownership, but rather, about getting the most advantage out of my investment.

I can have the one superb thing, or I can have several very useful things. Bucks and bangs.

For the span of my shooting experience, my effort has been directed toward getting to the potential of the more mundane implements. While guarantees are not something I make or seek, I do find that 1/2MOA (at 100yd, call that more like 1-2MOA at 1000yd) is not an impossible goal with a bedded and sound factory rifle and reasonable load development. I own only one custom rifle, it's my Savage-based .260 Rem 1Kyd F Class rifle. Great rifle, but many of my bedded and maintained factory rifle shoot on its par with decent handloads.

I don't think this situation proves anything beyond the value of good marksmanship and tuning practices, and given my own druthers, I'd rather make my mark with something upon which I performed the limited work that helped arrive at the happier conclusion.

But that's really just a personal quirk of my own.

My point, if there is one, is that I don't want to see folks coming to this site for aid, and being deluged with pointers and observations about marksmanship excellence being equated solely with price tags. There is no such relationship, and selling a masterpiece to someone new may be neither the biggest favor one can do, nor the best use for what could turn out to be a rare windfall.

I know that even at this late stage in my shooting career, if I had $2500 to spend outright on shooting, it would not be plunked down on a superlative rifle. Rather, I'd be buying a couple of nice barrels, a goodly stock of reloading components, a buncha decent .22LR ammo, and saving a fair hunk for that irresistible something that comes along once in a lifetime (like my Garand). In this instance, it could be seed money toward a lovingly used DPMS LR260. But first, we'd be needing that $2500...

But that's because I'm a stingy old curmudgeon who isn't satisfied with his purchases until he can make those pennies scream for mercy. Comes from a lifetime that started with plenty, then progressed to a stage where terms like 'frugal', 'adequate', and 'in the fullness of time' have meanings which simply may not be ignored. Again, I speak of bangs and bucks. Honestly, I really do need to.

Greg

Greg,
I certainly understand your desire to make every penny count, and not to "blow your wad" on 1 big ticket item when the same money could be made to go a lot further, with basically the same end result. I have to say I admire your discipline on that. There is certainly a lot to be said for doing more with less, and a certain pride taken in being able to say you had an active part in taking a "mundane" rifle, and improving on it to the point that it rivals a much more expensive one.
It is refreshing to hear someone say "you don't have to spend a lot of money to have something good."
I must admit that I can be a bit impulsive when it comes to indulgeing my passions; firearms, knives, guitars.
That is not to say that I have a lot of money to throw around, but when I have something in front of me that I get in my head that I want, I have a hard time convincing myself otherwise. I was actually looking on Gunbroker recently for a Savage 10 fp in a HS stock, and stumbled across a HS Precision HTR, which happened to be somewhat local, so I went to see it. After that it was all over. My thought process was this: If I get the HTR, I'm sure I will be happy with it. If I pass and go Savage, I'm sure I will be happy with it also, but I'll probably still be thinking about "the one that got away".
I don't regret my purchase for a second, but I know the HSP will not make me a better shooter, and I agree with you that I could have done a lot more with my money than just buying a rifle.
It was just so damn beautiful!

Yeah; I keep hearing that demonic laughter coming out of the long, thin box as I carry it out to the car...

There's a reason you don't see me posting in the for sale forums here. Well; two, actually.

First, because a man can only stand so much temptation; and second, because I like to do my money transactions at eyeball distances.

Jense Precision has a AMAZING deal on a rifle ready to shoot with optics and EVERYTHING for $2750 right now, he is calling it his recession special. Check it out...

http://jenseprecision.com/price-list.html

Here is the run down...

Recession Special: Rem 700 Accurized (no PTG bolt), Holland double ground recoil lug pinned to the receiver,shilen select match steel barrel, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock,trigger set to 2.5#, Rem bottom metal, Karbon Koted to your choice of color, Warne Steel bases pinned to the receiver and Warne 30mm rings, Horus Vision Hawk 3-12x50 30mm tube 1st focal plane with the H-25 reticule $2750 this rifle is ready to shoot, just add ammo. http://www.horusvision.com/hawk.php

Why don't you just shoot the Savage that you have? Put in a good stock, buy lots of ammo and shoot the shit out of it.

I have a 5R that I recently decided to put on the market. I don't have it posted in the for sale forum yet. Its a 5R sitting in a PSS stock. Badger bolt knob, bottom metal, bolt stop, scope rail. Bought it a while ago and just don't shoot it as much as I had planned. Hate to see it not get shot as much as it needs to. Let me know if you are interested.

Switchblade;
I took your advice and picked up a Remington 700 ltr, I took it to the range twice, got it out to 725, and the IOR scope has what appears to be some type of liquid inside the reticle. I am going to have to send it back to the factory. From what I've heard on here, this is not a fluke. I sure appreciate all your help and the help and opinions of everyone else. We'll see what happens with IOR, I'm kinda scared of this brand now. I have an ACOG on my AR and it hasn't thought about taking a break.

*sittin back in my best Tennessee drawal*
Boy, I din say nothin bout a IOR scope!
grin.gif

To quote myself:

"Remy SPS 20"
Call SWFA and
SWFA 10x42 SS
SWFA mounting solution as directed"

My buddy built a rifle for around the same, use a SPS tactical, B&C stock, hyatt DMB and a leuy hunting scope and rings. Shoots good. I'll get some pics

Wow - there are some great rifles being mentioned. The 5R which are usually awesome, and the Jense deal stand out in my mind.
I making my christmas list now.

Yeah, if youre not careful, they can make all your money disappear.

Just remember, no matter how bad you want them, and no matter how good looking a woman might be, somewhere, somebody is tired of putting up with her shit.