• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need A Rugged BUIS Set For A Budget Build

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
I'm currently building a Bullpup style Marlin Camp 9 using the Muzzlite stock. I trashed the plastic trigger actuator for a custom billet one. I also cut off the crappy carry handle rear sight and A-post style front and installed a full length M1913 style rail I made from a EGW extrusion that bolts tightly to the reciever and barrel at the muzzle. I need a set of BUIS that would be the type you would put on a flat-top AR. I'd like to keep the cost under $100, yet still get something made in the USA and fully adjustable. Any suggestions from your actual use of such? Thanks!

Re: Need A Rugged BUIS Set For A Budget Build

rugged
Cheap
precise

Generally speaking one can only choose two out of three, so the rest is a balance

The LMT A2 style sights are great. About as rugged as you can get and you can get a set for $100 or less, especially if you keep your eyes open on a used pair.

Not my picture, just from google.

DSCF0780.JPG

You ought to be able to grab a set of MBUS for less than a c-note. They're probably not as durable as metal sights, but for the price, they really can't be beat.

LMT sights, Or a LMT front and Larue rear. If you do not mind fixed sights. The Troy fixed fornt and rear can be had for less than a $100. Check out the EE on Ar15.com For a nice used set.

+++ for the LMT. Beware there are fakes out there but you can find the real LMT sets for quite cheap like mentioned above. Simple, tough, and cost is right (cheap to some folks).

Good luck on your search.

i was skeptical buying the magpul mbus sights for my 16" at first, since i was so happy with the troy's on my sbr. since i primarily use the 16" scoped while prone, i figured i'd give them a shot as a backup sight.

so far i'm very happy with the repeatability of the mbus. keep in mind, the gun hasn't had any horrific falls or been in any extreme conditions to cause otherwise. that being said, i'd still rather rely on metal sights if the weapon was dedicated as a service weapon. however, if you're building a hobby gun/weekend shooter, the mbus will serve you well.

i think rainier arms has the gen 1 mbus on sale right now, you can probably score a set for under $80.

good luck with your build.