• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a scale

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
So i know this has been asked alot but most threads seems a bit dated.

I am new to reloading and only plan to shoot out to my 1200

The very last item i need is a scale. Are these high dollar scales overkill? I'm sure I could just "get by" with a cheapo scale but I don't want SDs like 15+ so I need a decent balance.

Are their a few options out their or am I kinda SOL?

Last edited:
There are numerous recent threads/posts on this topic, this one adds to the pile.

“I only plan to shoot out to my 1200” - edit this part for clarity, not sure what your 1200 means (guessing you are simply stating that you will shooting your rifle(s) to 1200 yards/meters.

Also “there” , not “their”.

Scales: Chargemaster or Autotrickler set up, depending on your budget, needs and shooting application(s).

Aside: Finely controlling neck tension is just as important (if not even more so) for achiving as much consistency as possible in your MVs. Just fyi since you’re new to reloading and mentioned SD

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Gen6-Digital-Powder-Measure/dp/B00AU6CIUO is all I spent on mine and some 2k rounds later its still working great just don't forget to close the powder gate it makes a mess otherwise but when it dies I wanna
maybe by then the price will come down a lot or a newer version will be around costing more money always chasing the pretty new shiny object .

I’ve got two of the Chargemasters by RCBS. I like them and have served me rather well.
One is good, two is much faster. Especially when loading up 200 rounds the night before a match.

Buy a Chargemaster Lite with a reducing insert if you want bang for your buck. If money is no object and you want it all buy an AutoTrickler.

I own and enjoy 2 Chargemasters but have finally broken down and pre-ordered an AutoTrickler v4.

Reading this forum is hell on my wallet...

Reactions: Holliday
Aside: Finely controlling neck tension is just as important (if not even more so) for achiving as much consistency as possible in your MVs. Just fyi since you’re new to reloading and mentioned SD

^^^ this is real shit info right there. Consistent powder drops will only get you in the ballpark, neck tension is more important and matters more (unless you completely suck at dropping powder).

I'd recommend the Ohaus SPX123 (and STX123 which is the touch-screen new version of the SPX), they're milligram scales (measure down to 0.001g/0.02gr) and the footprint/ergos are like they were designed with reloading in mind. Very similar to an A&D fx120i (including price), but probably a better reloading bench scale for anyone NOT running an Autotrickler.

That said, once I figured out how to get consistent neck tesion, and before I got a fancy scale, I got SD's in single digits for ~$50 with one of these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019558826

Reactions: nn8734
I never had an issue getting good extreme spreads with a Hornady auto throw or a charge master.
Of the two the charge master is definitely better.
I only really got my V3 because of how fast it is and it’s tendency to be not very finicky.

Get a chargemaster in the mean time until the autothrow v4 comes out (or you can find one for sale used).

Yeah, the autothrow may get you another 2sd better (or it also may not) but where the autothrow pays off is in the speed and fewer re/overthrows. Higher resolution scales dont provide anything unless you want to start cutting grains, the fx120i is already good enough to be kernel of varget accurate.

The chargemaster will get you 90% of the way to the autothrow but its only 1/4-1/3 of the price and is what I would do for awhile until the autothrow becomes available. Could be awhile before your spot on the ATv4 wait list comes to pass though so the chargemeaster will hold you over in the mean time.

Reactions: CK1.0