• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need a Scope Base... Suggestion?

Drunktank

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
G'day gents! Im now the proud owner of a new Savage Precision Carbine and now its time to start getting it ready to shoot!

First thing out the gate... Im looking for a 20MOA scope base for this bugger. What are some good manufactures to consider? Also, I've read of people bedding these things ontop of the receiver... is that even worth it or just a bunch of hype? All I care about is having a rock solid platform to mount a scope on.

Thanks for the help! Now I get to save up for rings and a SS 5-20x50
laugh.gif

Re: Need a Scope Base... Suggestion?

I wouldn't worry about bedding unless you go with a big cartridge such as a 300Win Mag. If you do want to bed, I've used Loctite 409 for a premanant attachment. A small tube will bed three or four rails, and it's around $10 for the tube.

EGW, Weaver, USO, Badger, and bedding the base is very much necessary if you don't want nasty marks on your $1500 scope. Plus you wont waste a million years lapping the rings if your receiver is machined way off. Look up some videos on bedding a rifle base on youtube. I believe there are many threads on here that explain the process as well.

Don't bed it permanently to the actin. You might want to get action work done later down the road. JB Weld is one of the best products to use. Epoxy sometimes gets very brittle in colder conditions and upon heavier recoil.

Why I don't see anyone using Warne base? I have Warne Tactical 20 MOA picatinny rail on my Savage and like it a lot. It's kinda expensive though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bruno86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW, Weaver, USO, Badger, and bedding the base is very much necessary if you don't want nasty marks on your $1500 scope. Plus you wont waste a million years lapping the rings if your receiver is machined way off. Look up some videos on bedding a rifle base on youtube. I believe there are many threads on here that explain the process as well.

Don't bed it permanently to the actin. You might want to get action work done later down the road. JB Weld is one of the best products to use. Epoxy sometimes gets very brittle in colder conditions and upon heavier recoil. </div></div>

Definitely bed it. Less stress on all of the components will translate into a more accurate rig and better cared for equipment. The Near is the finest I've used or seen and the folks at Murphy make a top notch product with some of the best customer service I've had.