• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need a scope base

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I just got a Remington 5R in 300 WM and am now looking at scope bases. My first question is how important is a recoil lug on a scope base? I have been looking at LaRue's base, but it doesn't look like it has one. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Re: need a scope base

For the .308 it's probably no big deal but for a win Mag, it migh tbe a nice feature.

I'm sure there will be differing opinions, but I tend to use mounts with the recoil lug. Engineering logic will tell me that there's no way any hand held rifle will shear off four #6 bolts...however...I've always been one for overkill, especially if there is no great cost penalty. Both badger and Seekins make excellent mounts with a recoil lug, so I tent to favor them.

Re: need a scope base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a Remington 5R in 300 WM and am now looking at scope bases. My first question is how important is a recoil lug on a scope base? I have been looking at LaRue's base, but it doesn't look like it has one. Any other suggestions appreciated. </div></div>

Although whether you have a lugged base or not, is a consideration, it sort of pales before other things you should be considering:

To wit:

What scope are you planning on for your 5R 300 Mag? What I mean is, it is your scope selection that should be driving your base options, not the other way around.

For example: If your scope has sufficient internal adjust (at least 80 MOA), and since the 300 Mag can reach a mile, then 30 MOA or larger MOA base, could be important, in utilizing all the range that your round is capable of.

Next, how long is the mounting area on your scope? If your scope is long, like USO's SN3's for example, then the farther you can place your rings apart, will make the whole ensemble more stable. So a base that extends in front of the recoil lug has value.

On the other hand, a short scope like a March for example, really cannot benefit from an extended base. Other scopes, such as the USO ST-10 44mm Ergo objective for example, an extended base may impede your eye relief options because the front of the objective can hit the front of an extended base.

In summary, lots to think about, and lugged vs non-lugged base is only one small consideration.

Bob