• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a set of quality reloading dies.

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
I have been reloading on a Rock Chucker II with Lee and RCBS dies for the last 20+ years. I've always wanted a Forster Co-Ax and recently purchased one.

Now I need a quality set of dies to reload my .243 with. I have been reading about the Redding dies but have never used them. I don't know whether to get FL or to neck size but am leaning towards FL. Any suggestions would be appreciated cause they have a lot of different options.

Re: Need a set of quality reloading dies.

Forster/Redding are as good as it gets in threaded dies. All others are tied for third place. But the difference on target isn't automatic or vast, the quality of the ammo still depends on the skill of the reloader.

I could tell you 'what I use' but we are likely different and want to work in different ways. My suggestion is to get a basic set for which ever floats your boat and use them until you decide what YOU want to change in your methods before you jump into costly variables much more experienced loaders like to suggest. Meaning, just because I do or don't use something doesn't mean a thing to anyone else!

Good luck!

I have redding Turret press and redding competition micrometer dies. Set it and forget it. No need to look for anything else. Be careful when ordering as there are a lot of different part numbers for dies.

the RCBS competition dies are very good as are the redding competition dies. The RCBS ones that I use to use had a widow that allowd you to place a bullet directly onto the mouth of the case allowing better alignment.

As to FL or neck...get both. most of your reloading will be done with neck sizing but when it gets time to set the shoulder back, you'll have the FL to use.

After using Lee, RCBS, Redding and Forster, I'm a Forster guy.

The ultimate, as far as I'm concerned is:

Forster FLS
Forster Ultra-mic Seater
Forster bushing/bump & associated bushings

With this setup, I can neck size and bump the shoulder in one die, which allows lightly "worked" brass to chamber like new factory or FLS ammo. I hate the "tight bolt" feel to neck only ammo.

The same can be achieved with Redding, but you must do it in two operations with the body die, and then the bushing neck die. Not *that* big an issue if you load on a progressive like I do (Dillon 650), but a whole 'nother trip through the press if you're on a single stage.

All that said, you'll certainly need a die capable of sizing the body/shoulder of the case. If you could only get ONE sizing die, you'd have to get an FLS. However, you really oughtta get an FLS as well as a neck die.

I didn't see you or anyone mention this. Since you are using your new Forester
Co Ax press, with that press, if you are going to use any other brand of dies, you might have to use Forester die rings on those dies. I didn't know if you were aware of that . Just an FYI if not.
smile.gif

What are you loading ammo for? If it's a semi-auto you'll need full length size dies. If it's a bolt action that the brass was fired in and won't be used in anything else then neck size.

For the dies themselves, I'd say Redding or Forster. I'm running Redding for my current rifle ammo, I've used RCBS for rifle (.222 Rem). For pistol I've used RCBS, Hornady, and Lee.

I'm reloading for my SAC .243 build and a Remington SPS Tactical .223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster/Redding are as good as it gets in threaded dies. All others are tied for third place. But the difference on target isn't automatic or vast, the quality of the ammo still depends on the skill of the reloader.

</div></div>

Very good advise. Both are excellent dies

I have rcbs, lee, hornady, and redding dies. The lee dies are a about 12 years old, and seem to be a better quality than the newer hornady, rcbs, and redding dies. However, I do have a newer redding competion die, and it is my favorite. Very smooth threads, smooth and accurate mic

I will probably look for some Forster dies next time. I think the Forster case trimmers are great

+1 for Forster. I started out with Hornady and switched to Forster as I began reloading for different calibers. I have Forster FL sizing , and ultra-mic seating die with a Redding neck sizing die for 338 LM. All outstanding quality. Just my .02

The best you can get are custom. Neil Jones makes some nice ones for a (relatively) affordable price. $200 for a FL sizer plus $13 per bushing. Lead time was around 6 weeks IIRC.

I switched from Redding to Custom and the difference is pretty astounding. The cartridge will fit your chamber like a glove.

For your sizing opperation.. you have gotten good advice so far.

For seating, I will swear by the RCBS Micrometer seater. Buy the die($70.00), and you can purchase caliber specific bullet guides ($9.00) for anything up to .375 Cal. Get yourself a VLD seating stem and you now have a ONE micrometer seater die for pretty much any modern rifle in your gun room.

The only other modification I have made it I had a smith turn the base of mine down .25" to seat the smaller cartridges without using any kind of special shellholder

.22 Cal 6.5mm 7mm and .30 Cal
PA310056.jpg

I'm loading with a combination of lee and redding stuff. Hope to step up to a set of bushing type dies soon. Only if I could decide on one caliber to stick with

For precision ammo, I still like my Wilson inline dies for seating. I still get the best concentricity with the inline vs the others. Others have had results just as good with the co-ax press using redding or forster ultra mic seaters...I haven't been able to.

All my other operations are done on the forster co-ax press.

I've used lee, redding, hornady and forster. The only dies I use now on the co-ax are forsters with hornady sure loc die rings.

The forster dies are just as good as reddings and cost less. Someone already mentioned also that Forster will hone out the necks of the full length die to your specs as well for a nominal fee. Redding no longer offers this...my .02

"... RCBS competition dies are very good as are the redding competition dies."

RCBS' expensive and cute side window 'comp' seaters with short guide sleeves for the case necks aren't even in the same league with Forster/Redding seaters with their full case length guide sleeves. My personal seater preference is the Forsters (without the micrometer head) but the Reddings are equal in performance. Add a body die and Lee collet neck sizer and you have as good a die 'set' as it gets.

The UPS man dropped off my press today. I still need a set of dies for it and need to finish my new reloading bench. I believe I will be going with Forster dies after reading the comments. Thanks for every ones opinions. I will post another pic when I get it mounted on my new bench.

I would like to see some pics of how different people have their reloading benches set up if you all don't mind posting pics. I'm always looking for a new and better way.

DSCN0201.jpg

Congrats, it's a great press.

You will be very happy with the forster dies. If you ever do any compressed loads the forster will do much better than the redding comp die. I've cracked at least 3 seating stems on the redding before I figured out they can't do the compressed loads...Redding will even tell you this... No problems with the forster using compressed loads...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only dies I use now on the co-ax are forsters with hornady sure loc die rings.</div></div>

Frogman, I may be wrong, but I thought the Forster dies came with a lock ring. If so, why do you use the Hornadys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdl65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and need to finish my new reloading bench.
DSCN0201.jpg
</div></div>

Your reloading bench is looking a little rough, there.

I've been loading .223 for about a year using Lee dies in a Lee single stage press. I typically just bump back the shoulder using a FLS die, as this is for a bolt gun.

Now I'm gathering stuff to reload .308, and wanted to get a more sophisticated set of dies. I just ran across the Forster bushing bump neck sizing die and wondered if a person even needs a FLS when using this die, if loading for a bolt gun. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Forster bushing bump neck die and Forster bench rest seater die for my .308 "set".

Is this a good way to go? FWIW, these are for factory Rem 700s.

The bushing bump neck die by forster is similar to the redding type s fl bushing die.

yes, you can control the neck tension via bushings and it will also bump the shoulders back..

If I only had one die for my caliber it would be that one or a custom honed FLS die by forster.

I use the hornady sure loc rings because the forsters seem cheap to me and I don't like the cross bolt they use. I've stripped them and broken them before. The surelocs are steel and use standard hex screws. They're available in a six pack at for less than the forster lock rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the hornady sure loc rings because the forsters seem cheap to me and I don't like the cross bolt they use. I've stripped them and broken them before. The surelocs are steel and use standard hex screws. They're available in a six pack at for less than the forster lock rings.</div></div>

Thanks - that's good to know! I have Hornadys and they seem well made, but I've never seen the Forsters in person.